The Pono Player Impressions Thread
Jun 13, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #1,276 of 1,969
  I was a Pono Kickstarter supporter and early proponent of this new platform.  My CSNY signature edition Pono is in its box and has been for many months.  It's a nice conversation starter.  But as a DAP, I found it both awkward to use and limited in its audio capabilities.  It's too bad, actually.

Did you try it balanced?  SE it also sounded underwhelming to me, balancing my HD600 and KSC75 made all the difference, really happy with it now.

Jun 13, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #1,277 of 1,969

Did you try it balanced?  SE it also sounded underwhelming to me, balancing my HD600 and KSC75 made all the difference, really happy with it now.

Yes.  I still found it needs EQ.  Ayre is anti-EQ, apparently.  Since the only reason I ever need to use a DAP is when I'm travelling, which I do every week, I need EQ for use on airplanes.  And the Toblerone-shaped Pono is not the most convenient to stick into my inner jacket pocket without making myself look like I need a one-sided bra.

Jun 13, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #1,278 of 1,969
  Yes.  I still found it needs EQ.  Ayre is anti-EQ, apparently.  Since the only reason I ever need to use a DAP is when I'm travelling, which I do every week, I need EQ for use on airplanes.  And the Toblerone-shaped Pono is not the most convenient to stick into my inner jacket pocket without making myself look like I need a one-sided bra.

I agree the shape is a bit awkward, and I often accidentally click something on the screen when I stick them in my pockets (as I don't like the instant screen timeout).  But it's a great desk/table shape, and sound is perfect for me.

I also agree that an optional EQ (it could be disabled from the menus like the Revealer) would be attractive to many.

Actually what I really want is Pono opening up their firmware to 3rd-party modifications.  They don't seem to have the resources to keep enhancing it significantly, and there's quite a few little things (like EQ) that people could add, which would help to sell more hardware - win/win.

Jun 13, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #1,279 of 1,969

No cases specifically for PP that I know of. Some triangular eyeglass cases seem to fit nicely but that's not a playable case, just storage. I suppose you could punch out holes for the 2 wires, 3 buttons, and screen.

But I don't think you need a case or screen protector for it, unless you plan on being real rough on it.

My yellow one has been in heavy use for 1.5 years --  constantly moved between my bag, the office, the studio, the bedroom, the car, and yes even my front pocket.

It's been dropped probably 5x now (never on bare concrete), slept on once or twice (soft mattress), and what i call bungee jumped 2x (headphone connected above, pono player swinging down hitting the dresser)

and

No screen scratches. No real damage on the case, just slightly dark around the edges from oil/dirt. 

It's a perfect shape that deflects most damage. Far better than any slab or rectangular shape ever.

Thanks for the info.  Yeah I build Jeeps and use triangle shaped lower control arms for the very same reason.  

Jun 13, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #1,280 of 1,969
OUCH. Thanks for the warning.

Early on I did have to run Disk Utility on my internal storage and then it took it a few extra minutes to boot up but it finally came up.

I hope Pono Inc. fixed/replaced it for free, given that I don't remember seeing any kind of warning against formatting.
The latest firmware has a utility which is supposed to fix a corrupt file system. It don't work! Do not run disk utilities or other Windows utilities on the Pono. It's not compatible. Dealing with Pono was in a word terrible. In the end it was fixed for free but took a month. Tech support at Pono is the worst I've dealt with. I won't go into detail but: What a shame.

Sorry about all that trouble, I'd be pretty furious about all of that as well.
I never had a problem with my Pono, so I never had the experience of dealing with their support. Certainly makes me think twice about recommending it as well...

The toblerone shape has its plusses and minuses. Certainly, it is not pocket friendly (but I do take it on dog walks frequently and I manage with it in there-insert "is that your Pono or are you happy to see me" joke here). It does sit on a desk very nicely, though, I like being able to see the screen without picking it up, feels more like a component. I do believe it also makes it more damage resistant, I've dropped mine a few times, no major problems as a result.

Jun 13, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #1,281 of 1,969
Spotted this soft case on Ebay UK.  Of course no access to the screen:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Premium-Pouch-Case-Sleeve-for-Pono-PonoPlayer-w-Secure-Velcro-Closure-/221771938958

Jun 13, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #1,282 of 1,969
Had problems doing firmware update on KS PonoPlayer. Was talking about it on the forum. Pono tech support called me at home to offer assistance. Never had a company do that before.

Another time a downloaded song glitched. A support ticket with all the purchase info was answered in less than 2 hours and I had my garbled track. I haven't had any problems with Pono support.

I don't fly, so don't understand what it has to do with needing EQ? Does the Sabre chip or any of the other chips in the PonoPlayer have the ability to digitally EQ the signal? Since it uses discrete analog components any analog chance of EQ is probably an impossibility. So could the PonoPlayer be designed to offer EQ without messing up the sound? No idea.

I love the sound quality of the PonoPlayer. Now have two. I believe there will be a 2nd model in the future. Neil Young just posted he was listening to a prototype Pono headphone. He said the headphones would ship in the near future. The headphones will probably happen before a 2nd model PonoPlayer.

Jun 13, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #1,283 of 1,969
Neil Young just posted he was listening to a prototype Pono headphone. He said the headphones would ship in the near future. The headphones will probably happen before a 2nd model PonoPlayer.

Interesting, I suggested they should do exactly that (ie. badge some balanced headphones to do the player justice) a few weeks ago, either here or on another Pono thread.

Jun 14, 2016 at 1:17 AM Post #1,284 of 1,969

No cases specifically for PP that I know of. Some triangular eyeglass cases seem to fit nicely but that's not a playable case, just storage. I suppose you could punch out holes for the 2 wires, 3 buttons, and screen.

But I don't think you need a case or screen protector for it, unless you plan on being real rough on it.

My yellow one has been in heavy use for 1.5 years --  constantly moved between my bag, the office, the studio, the bedroom, the car, and yes even my front pocket.

It's been dropped probably 5x now (never on bare concrete), slept on once or twice (soft mattress), and what i call bungee jumped 2x (headphone connected above, pono player swinging down hitting the dresser)

and

No screen scratches. No real damage on the case, just slightly dark around the edges from oil/dirt. 

It's a perfect shape that deflects most damage. Far better than any slab or rectangular shape ever.

I have the same experience with occasional drops, skids, and such.  I use mine pretty much every day.  The screen is still unmarred, clear, and functional.  The body is a bit scuffed however and having a case would be an improvement.

Jun 14, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #1,285 of 1,969
Same here, tried some camera cases, Phone cases, just went back to using it nekkid. No major problems despite some drops.

Jun 14, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #1,286 of 1,969
My Pono came with a custom-fit leather case.  Didn't they all, or was this just for the signature editions?

Jun 14, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #1,287 of 1,969
  My Pono came with a custom-fit leather case.  Didn't they all, or was this just for the signature editions?

Must be signature - mine did not.

Jun 14, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #1,288 of 1,969
Got mine from Kickstarter, but not the signature, the plain one, no case.

Jun 14, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #1,290 of 1,969
The regular version was nothing so fancy...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back