The Pono Player Impressions Thread
May 1, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #1,622 of 1,969
Recently got a mojo out of interest. I have listened to it for a couple of weeks now. I am amazed by the separation of instruments, it's like nothing I have heard to date. It does a nice job of offering a smooth sound with a great amount of detail intact. The thing that brought me back to the Pono (Which I almost sold) was the listening fatigue I was experiencing. I used to think I was just treble sensitive but I must have an aversion regular punchy bass response. It initially always draws me in and drops my jaw.

I'm using the PM3 and long listening sessions are a real challenge with that combo.

Going back to the Pono the pairing and its effortless. Yes the Pono does not have the assertive bass authority or the level of instrument separation but is is just so natural sounding to me.

May 6, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #1,623 of 1,969
I recently downloaded an album from Hdtracks and put on my Pono's sd card. For some reason the album shows up twice on the Pono. When I click on one album cover it gives me the first 7 songs on the album. When I click on the second image of the same album I get the last three songs.

Any ideas?

May 6, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #1,624 of 1,969
I don't know what causes this (or how to treat it). But it's not just the Pono-my Pioneer xdp-300R, iBasso DX90, and even my PC with JRiver will often separate out albums, usually don't seem to be able to put them back together.

May 7, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #1,626 of 1,969
I recently downloaded an album from Hdtracks and put on my Pono's sd card. For some reason the album shows up twice on the Pono. When I click on one album cover it gives me the first 7 songs on the album. When I click on the second image of the same album I get the last three songs.

Any ideas?
Do the last 3 tracks have a guest artist or a different listing of some kind? Sometimes I see that when there is a guest artist on a track.

May 7, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #1,627 of 1,969
It usually DOES happen when there are guest artists, but it happens to me even when I can see no difference in the tracks separated out.

May 10, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #1,628 of 1,969
May 11, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #1,629 of 1,969
Recently got a mojo out of interest. I have listened to it for a couple of weeks now. I am amazed by the separation of instruments, it's like nothing I have heard to date. It does a nice job of offering a smooth sound with a great amount of detail intact. The thing that brought me back to the Pono (Which I almost sold) was the listening fatigue I was experiencing. I used to think I was just treble sensitive but I must have an aversion regular punchy bass response. It initially always draws me in and drops my jaw.

I'm using the PM3 and long listening sessions are a real challenge with that combo.

Going back to the Pono the pairing and its effortless. Yes the Pono does not have the assertive bass authority or the level of instrument separation but is is just so natural sounding to me.

I also had a Mojo for several months and have just sold it on Ebay. I had the same impression as you - it sounds a bit harsh, a sort of over-sharpening of transients and a focus on the bass. In the treble, it lacks a bit of decay/detail.
I also own a DX90 and must say that the Pono is to me the best of the three. Imaging and timing is very good with the Pono and no frequency range is overrepresented at the expense of another.
Too bad Ayre"s new dac with the 9038Pro is so expensive... I"d like to try that one.

May 11, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #1,630 of 1,969
Does somebody know how to display the resolution of the song being played (or file type) on the Pono? I have for example two albums purchased once as cd and once as high res download and found no option to distinguish between the two by file type or resolution on the Pono"s display.

May 28, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #1,632 of 1,969
Now the Pono Community website has an expired certificate, as of Friday (May 26, 2017 at 4:59 PM). Clearly nobody's "minding the store".

Expired certificates are not uncommon, and we probably can just ignore and bypass any browser warnings this time, but I just headed back here to Head-Fi.

May 28, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #1,635 of 1,969
Phil has been a steadfast cheerleader. I've given up on them and have no interest in streaming, as if they will ever get that off the ground. I do miss the community, with the exception of one NY b***h. Just my opinion, mind you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back