1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The Pono Player Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by depaor, Oct 4, 2014.
First

Back
99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108
110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119
Next

Last
  1. Discman634
    Listening to Daft Punk's Random Access Memories single ended to Sony MDR-Z7 sounds just incredible this morning.

2. Rdwng1975
    Recently got a mojo out of interest. I have listened to it for a couple of weeks now. I am amazed by the separation of instruments, it's like nothing I have heard to date. It does a nice job of offering a smooth sound with a great amount of detail intact. The thing that brought me back to the Pono (Which I almost sold) was the listening fatigue I was experiencing. I used to think I was just treble sensitive but I must have an aversion regular punchy bass response. It initially always draws me in and drops my jaw.

I'm using the PM3 and long listening sessions are a real challenge with that combo.

Going back to the Pono the pairing and its effortless. Yes the Pono does not have the assertive bass authority or the level of instrument separation but is is just so natural sounding to me.

3. Rdwng1975
    I recently downloaded an album from Hdtracks and put on my Pono's sd card. For some reason the album shows up twice on the Pono. When I click on one album cover it gives me the first 7 songs on the album. When I click on the second image of the same album I get the last three songs.

Any ideas?

4. doctorjazz
    I don't know what causes this (or how to treat it). But it's not just the Pono-my Pioneer xdp-300R, iBasso DX90, and even my PC with JRiver will often separate out albums, usually don't seem to be able to put them back together.

5. bskk
    1 MB/s after disabling windows write cache and 1,2 MB/s out of the box on macOS.

6. The Dan of Steel
    Do the last 3 tracks have a guest artist or a different listing of some kind? Sometimes I see that when there is a guest artist on a track.

7. doctorjazz
    It usually DOES happen when there are guest artists, but it happens to me even when I can see no difference in the tracks separated out.

8. thefitz
    I shall try this!

9. CarstenF
    I also had a Mojo for several months and have just sold it on Ebay. I had the same impression as you - it sounds a bit harsh, a sort of over-sharpening of transients and a focus on the bass. In the treble, it lacks a bit of decay/detail.
    I also own a DX90 and must say that the Pono is to me the best of the three. Imaging and timing is very good with the Pono and no frequency range is overrepresented at the expense of another.
    Too bad Ayre"s new dac with the 9038Pro is so expensive... I"d like to try that one.

Rdwng1975 likes this.
  10. CarstenF
    Does somebody know how to display the resolution of the song being played (or file type) on the Pono? I have for example two albums purchased once as cd and once as high res download and found no option to distinguish between the two by file type or resolution on the Pono"s display.

11. alpha421
    Double tap on the screen will get you the album/track info metadata.

12. Left Channel
    Now the Pono Community website has an expired certificate, as of Friday (May 26, 2017 at 4:59 PM). Clearly nobody's "minding the store".

Expired certificates are not uncommon, and we probably can just ignore and bypass any browser warnings this time, but I just headed back here to Head-Fi.

13. L8MDL
    Haven't been on their site for a couple of weeks. It's DOA, imo.

14. barondla
    According to Phil Baker it is being fixed.

15. L8MDL
    Phil has been a steadfast cheerleader. I've given up on them and have no interest in streaming, as if they will ever get that off the ground. I do miss the community, with the exception of one NY b***h. Just my opinion, mind you.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
First

Back
99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108
110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119
Next

Last