The Pioneer SA-1480 sounds damn good...am I dreaming?
Jan 27, 2010 at 5:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

AudioICE

New Head-Fier
It's a 1987 made in Japan model that I dug up at my uncle's house. It's a full sized integrated stereo amp with a 7 band equalizer at the top and a headphone out. Really big, really solid construction. The "Phones" out socket on it is quite powerful. What surprises me is the amount of sonic punch this thing carries and how it manages to sound quite warm while being extremely detailed at the same time. Musically I prefer it to my Ibasso D2 Boa. The Boa sounds "cleaner" and is definitely more analytical, but musically the Pioneer just blows it away by engaging you. The soundstage and overall sonic impact are just too good to ignore, it just brings everything to life. The downside is the white noise in the background (you only really notice it during pauses, quiet moments etc)

Sourced through a NAD c541i and using Grado SR80's. I've got some Audio Technica W-1000's coming in the mail (thanks to fellow Head Fi'er Valens7) ....can't wait to see how those sound.

Does anyone else get surprised once in a while? It seems more than suitable for headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back