The PINT-like 3 channel topology produces a scheletric sound (that I don't enjoy)
Nov 11, 2006 at 9:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Andrea

Banned - aka HeavySoul - aka inconnu - aka Albert - aka layman - aka joe_average - aka altglos - aka Mr boobi - aka mikesand - aka blindbuy - aka The Well - aka yummy-fi
You may know that lately I played with my Go-Vibe quite a bit. My PINT^fied Go-Vibe deluded me lately, when I rolled the AD8055 in, into thinking that I'd finally succeeded in making it sound natural and satisfying.

Extended listening diminished my enthusiasm and led me to the ineluctable truth -- no matter how hard you try to fix the sound, the Pint-like three channel topology, at least with the common AD8397/45048 and LM6172 chips in, will always produce a scheletric, dry, with an overly bony bass the AD chips, sound quality. Someone may very well like it; I think it doesn't do justice to my music, my headphones, and more than anything my ears.

So... now all my interest has flied back to my trusty (present & awaited) 2 channel amps - and lucky me, right now I've a new Xenos 0HA-REP arrived just yesterday to burn in & enjoy.

Nov 11, 2006 at 10:09 AM Post #2 of 37
You should consider building a PIMETA. I think what you're missing out on is stationary type amps. Perhaps you found your satisfaction limits with amps designed primarily for portable use.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2006 at 4:36 PM Post #3 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
You may know that lately I played with my Go-Vibe quite a bit. My PINT^fied Go-Vibe deluded me lately, when I rolled the AD8055 in, into thinking that I'd finally succeeded in making it sound natural and satisfying.

Extended listening diminished my enthusiasm and led me to the ineluctable truth -- no matter how hard you try to fix the sound, the Pint-like three channel topology, at least with the common AD8397/45048 and LM6172 chips in, will always produce a scheletric, dry, with an overly bony bass the AD chips, sound quality. Someone may very well like it; I think it doesn't do justice to my music, my headphones, and more than anything my ears.

So... now all my interest has flied back to my trusty (present & awaited) 2 channel amps - and lucky me, right now I've a new Xenos 0HA-REP arrived just yesterday to burn in & enjoy.

Andrea,

After having read many of your posts, I have been meaning to tell you that I think you should just buy a tube amp and be done with it. Tube amps would not suffer from the maladies that you seem to dislike in amps.

GTP

Nov 11, 2006 at 5:50 PM Post #4 of 37
Quote:

I have just the amp for you. A classic design based on the venerable LM386 chip (circa 1985). This will give you that sound you so desperately seek:

DSCN0580.jpg

I couldn't resist, it's closet cleaning time
600smile.gif

Nov 11, 2006 at 8:17 PM Post #5 of 37
Solitary1 and gtp (gtp, I respect your suggestion anyway), my complaints were meant to be more specific (I thought I expressed them clearly enough, relating them to what I believe is the cause) than how you seem to have read them.

I'm sure it's a problem related to the 3 channel thing. Thus, it'll be sufficient to avoid these kinds of amps (casually, nearly only DIY...) in the future. Solid state is my thing (so has always been) -- but the good sounding variant
smily_headphones1.gif

P.S. The AD8397 sounded much better (definitely more liquid) when I put it in my first Xenos 0HA-REP to make my Hornet
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #6 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by IEATTEFLON
You should consider building a PIMETA. I think what you're missing out on is stationary type amps. Perhaps you found your satisfaction limits with amps designed primarily for portable use.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've also come to suspect this. Let's see how it goes with the incoming mSEED LABS "Faith AMP" ...

Nov 11, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #8 of 37
Correlation does not imply causality.

Nov 11, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #9 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
Correlation does not imply causality.

I agree. I think it's a sum of factors that results in the sound I hear. To put it differently, I doubt that an M^3 sounds scheletric
biggrin.gif

Oh, btw, I do have good expectations for my incoming new (and last portable) amp.

Nov 11, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #10 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by spike33
Andrea, stop all this cheap amp nonsense and get yourself a M^3! Your HD650 deserves it!
evil_smiley.gif

I'll see if I can.

Nov 12, 2006 at 9:14 AM Post #11 of 37
Slight reversal of opinion...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I realized that that record I was listening to sounded thin for itself. And that I had a bit of a transient problem with me left ear that in some circumstances altered my hearing just a bit...

That is to say that I just changed record, listened again, and WOW did my customised Go-Vibe sound good. Perhaps it's not the most meaty sound in the neighbourhood, but good, good, good. My modding has succeeded (standard Go-Vibers & AD8397-LM6172 / LM6172-LM6172 PINTers, I pity you)
very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif
600smile.gif

Nov 12, 2006 at 9:26 AM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Slight reversal of opinion...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I realized that that record I was listening to sounded thin for itself. And that I had a bit of a transient problem with me left ear that in some circumstances altered my hearing just a bit...

That is to say that I just changed record, listened again, and WOW did my customised Go-Vibe sound good. Perhaps it's not the most meaty sound in the neighbourhood, but good, good, good. My modding has succeeded (standard Go-Vibers, I pity you)
evil_smiley.gif
600smile.gif

Andrea, a suggestion for you: When you got the urge of posting one of your opinions, wright it down on paper, and wait a whole day. If it's still the same, THEN post it.
You don't wanna be brand marked as a flip-flopper...link
but i guess you already are
wink.gif

Nov 12, 2006 at 9:52 AM Post #13 of 37
Quote:

… I doubt that an M^3 sounds scheletric
biggrin.gif

What does "scheletric" mean? I tried the top two results from dictionary.com[1], but as they either pertain to zoology or eyes, I doubt that I'm looking in the right direction.

[1] http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=scheletric

Nov 12, 2006 at 2:32 PM Post #14 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by procreate
What does "scheletric" mean? I tried the top two results from dictionary.com[1], but as they either pertain to zoology or eyes, I doubt that I'm looking in the right direction.

[1] http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=scheletric

"scheleteric" = skeletal, sorry.
biggrin.gif

Nov 12, 2006 at 2:35 PM Post #15 of 37
Quote:

"scheleteric" = skeletal, sorry.
biggrin.gif

Like this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back