The Pillows - Catchy Japanese Rock that rocks!
Jul 19, 2004 at 9:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

xtreme4099

Headphoneus Supremus
Sometimes other countries have kick ***** music too ..heh ... ive listened to this group for a while and thought i share some of the wealth to those who dont know about them yet.

The Pillows - Carnival

The Pillows - Funny Bunny

The Pillows - Ride on Shooting Star

Grab These ^ to see what i mean.

Bio Here: http://www.projectj.net/pillows.htm

Nice Site from the UK: http://www.thepillows.co.uk/

Discography- They Have 11 Albums - I Think a 12th just came out too. http://www.projectj.net/pillowsalbums.htm

some other catchy ones i personally like - Our Love and Peace - Bran New Love Song - Advice - Hybrid Rainbow - Rush - She is Perfect - Last Dinosaur - Happy Bivouac - Little Busters - Skeleton Lair - Blue Drive Monster - Kim Deal - We Have a Theme Song - Scent of Sweet - I Think i Can

Jul 19, 2004 at 10:35 AM Post #2 of 10
Like, totally wow! There's actually good music out of america? Who would have thought! To be honest, most of the american stuff I hear streamed over the airwaves sucks. It's kinda making me biased towards other countries.
evil_smiley.gif

The Back Horn <- another jap lot, the projectj sample song isn't representative of the album it came off "ningen puroguramu". Heavy distorted guitar and a singer that sounds like he's crying is their trademark. The sound is brittle though, and often breaks down into a rather pleasant noise.

Still in japan, try YUKI. It's another one that's getting heavy rotation (if you can have rotation at all on a hard disc). You can import but beware of the anime at www.cdjapan.co.jp .

Another one which may or may not have been heard of overseas is Bic Runga. I think you can get from www.soundsnz.com or www.realgroovy.co.nz if you can't get her albums here. I don't follow her much so I don't know how popular she is.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 19, 2004 at 10:47 AM Post #4 of 10
yeah indeed theres other jrock groups i like, Shiina aint a bad looker either, but pillows seem to stem from that weezer and deathcabforcutie type style.

Jul 19, 2004 at 10:49 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
japanese rock eh ?

Shiina Ringo - Tsumiki Asobi.

Now thats Rock.

Oh my vote would have to be for the Bloodthirsty Butchers, or Romantic Gorilla, or Melt Banana (yay Melt Banana!)

Jul 19, 2004 at 11:47 AM Post #6 of 10
Melt-Banana ain't rock, if you say Shiina isn't :p

How can you mention rock without mentioning X - Blue Blood. It's influenced me for sure, but I play sax, not an axe.

Jul 19, 2004 at 12:05 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by myself, aka me
Melt-Banana ain't rock, if you say Shiina isn't :p

How can you mention rock without mentioning X - Blue Blood. It's influenced me for sure, but I play sax, not an axe.

Now did I ever say Shiina isn't rock?

Jul 19, 2004 at 12:30 PM Post #8 of 10
the pillows is my favorite band. It is amazing how their music is still so fun and exciting to listen to after so many years. The three albums Little Busters, Runners High, and Happy Bivouac are an absolute joy to listen to and I prefer it to their last couple new albums which seem to lack the same kind of energy and magic that I have come to love about them, although they are still top notch! What's interesting is although their music is upbeat and energetic the topics of some of their songs are quite somber.

I never thought the pillows were any popular but a new CD called Synchronized Rockers is coming out in September that are all tribute songs to the pillows from bands like Mr. Children and Going Under Ground. Pretty neat!

Oh yes, please check out Hybrid Rainbow, one of my favorite songs. I have yet to hear another like it =).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back