The Perfect Song?
Apr 17, 2006 at 5:41 PM Post #136 of 153
THE best song for demoing equipment is "Lily Was Here" by Candy Dulfer.

The clarity is astounding
basshead.gif

Apr 17, 2006 at 6:13 PM Post #137 of 153
Gads! Talk about "Sorry about your wallet!" I've been reading over this listing and adding lots of "Must Get" to my "gotta have" CD list; I may have to put off my next can purchase!

Maybe even lunch for the next......
frown.gif

Apr 17, 2006 at 7:03 PM Post #138 of 153
OOoooo, definitely Stevie Wonder's new "A Time to Love" album. Theyre the BEST to test headphones, the details and mids and bass for testing purposes are fantastic.

Listen to the song "Positivity" from the album. It's really good, for my music taste at least
biggrin.gif

Apr 17, 2006 at 8:14 PM Post #139 of 153
my choices are albums that are well recorded and provide the opportunity to see if the equipment can accurately reproduce instruments provide the depth and breadth of soundstage.

lyle lovett -- joshua judges ruth (church, north dakota)
eric clapton -- unplugged (signe, layla, old love)
bill evans -- waltz for debby
ito ema -- bach goldberg variations
ricky lee jones -- girl and her volcano (under the boardwalk) (japanese import)
kim richey -- kim richey (this woman can sing!!!)

also gotta love hotel california from hell freezes over, but it is well used.

icon10.gif

Apr 17, 2006 at 9:03 PM Post #140 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by dominator
Actually, I was joking about Stairway since it would be so cliche.... but, oh well.
tongue.gif

Perhaps put on some Pink Floyd, that would be very cool.

Maybe "Welcome to the Machine", or "Comfortably Numb", or "Time", or.... I don't know, pick something cool.
rolleyes.gif

"When the Tigers Broke Free" blows me away on good headphones, on that note.

Also, Radiohead's "Motion Picture Soundtrack," from Kid A. Then, I second the earlier recommendation for Tool's "Lateralus." Hmm. Those are great ones for rock. Speaking of religious music, I HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend Aretha Franklin's version of "The Lord's Prayer" for female vocals. Knocks me OUT.

Apr 18, 2006 at 3:35 PM Post #143 of 153
Nobody has mentioned Porcupine Tree yet? Kind of progrock, kind of pop, vague metal tendencies. It's not even generally my thing, but it's /great/ and Steven Wilson is a meticulous producer. My favourite album is Lightbulb Sun: try Lightbulb Sun (groovy and pop) or Russia On Ice(nearly Floydish).

Nov 23, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #146 of 153
Wow, super old thread! Not sure if anyone here is still active, or will see this, but Diana Krall "Live in Paris" is amazing! It's one of the highest quality live recordings I've heard. Soundstage is amazing, and the clarity of the vocals are unbelievable. Definitely a head turner (ear turner?).

Nov 23, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #147 of 153
Laugh if you want, but for some reason, these two make me weep like a little girl

Rebecca Pidgeon -  Auld Lang Syne
Sofia Petterson - Hallelujah

Nov 24, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #149 of 153
Quote:
I couldn't find Auld Lang Syne, but Sofia's Hallelujah was beautiful! No reason for me to laugh here!!
smily_headphones1.gif

I appreciate the fact that you actually went through the trouble to find my two suggestions, you might also want to try Rebecca Pidgeon's version of Spanish Harlem, also i'm confused, did you like Sofia's version of Hallelujah?

Dec 13, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #150 of 153
I love instruments more than the vocals. 

i listen to these songs to test, if the sound through the equipment touches my heart i buy it.

- Tatrini- Devil's Trill Sonata

- J.S. Bach - Partita No.2 in D minor BWV 1004 - IV Giga

- Joe Satriani - Wind in the trees (live Sathurated) 

-Al Di Meola/Paco de Lucia/JOhn Maclauglin- Mediterranean sundance

-Don Ross- Wall of Glass

-Hans Zimmer/Lisa Gerrard- Now we are free.

Any one of them can be The-perfect-song.

*ofcorse in FLAC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back