The Perfect Song?
Mar 24, 2006 at 3:53 PM Post #122 of 153
If you want to show off the SQ of your cans, pick up some recordings from Mapleshade. They produce mostly jazz music, but they're expanding their horizons quite nicely. The guy in charge (Pierre Sprey I think) seems to be obsessed with signal purity and the results are often stunning. The reproduction of horns is just amazing.

Very juicy indeed.

Mar 24, 2006 at 5:37 PM Post #123 of 153
Arrow-up.jpg

Everything that guy said.

Also:

Badly Drawn Boy - The Shinning (a truly beautiful song)
Chris Isaak - Two Hearts
Gomez - Tijuana Lady (Wow)
Paul Simon - Homeless
Radiohead - There There
Stereolab - Olv 26

Mar 24, 2006 at 6:00 PM Post #125 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattg3
Could you recommend a general title from Mapleshade that shows off what the label does.I found the label on amazon but am not familiar with any of the artists.

Best of Mapleshade VOL. 2

Go here:
http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/cds/10032.php
Download #7 - Hen's Cackle (only 128kbps, but it's still very impressive)

Then check out the rest of the album and the site.

Sam

Mar 24, 2006 at 6:14 PM Post #126 of 153
I'll second that recommendation. I have around 10 to 15 Mapleshade CD's and without exception, they are spectacular recordings of very talented musicians.

Apr 17, 2006 at 4:12 PM Post #132 of 153
I like the idea of getting the person to be impressed to bring along their own favorite, most well understood sellection, so they can hear it as it is meant to be heard.

Or an album by Creedence Clearwater Revival where everybody "knows" all the songs but nobody "knows" all the words!!

Nothing like finding out "What He Said" for the first time to seal the deal!!

Apr 17, 2006 at 4:25 PM Post #134 of 153
Dire Straits - On Every Street - You and Your Friend

Apr 17, 2006 at 4:27 PM Post #135 of 153
I would say Iron Maiden's Alexander the great, and to show instrument separation Iron Maiden's Ghost of the Navigator

If he wants to hear acoustical beauty try Alice in chains/nirvana/kiss mtv unplugged albums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back