The Perfect IEM For Me?
Jun 12, 2009 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Thrashingshrimp

100+ Head-Fier
So I managed to scrounge up a little more than 100 dollars and I hope to buy the perfect IEM. When I say this, I mean I want to buy the IEM that will last me at least 3 years (I'm 15 now, I want this to last the rest of my "kid life"
tongue.gif
)

Anyway, here are a few of my requirements. I hope you guys can help me out some.
  1. Is around 100 dollars (80-120)
  2. Is easy to drive with a Sansa Fuze and Fiio E5
  3. Does not entirely require an amp to sound good
  4. Decent low end (No Etymotics, something like the PK3's bass)
  5. Warm, FORWARD, and lush midrange (i.e. RE2)
  6. Decently clear highs
  7. As little microphonics as possible
  8. Can endure 3 years of pain and torture

I know, I know, this is a lot of prerequisites, but I do believe there is an IEM out there for me.

A few IEMs I was thinking about were the PFEs, Turbines, and UM1. I'm afraid that the Turbines are too boomy, the PFEs won't fit me (I have small ears), and that the UM1 lacks the clarity I want.

Help?

Jun 12, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #2 of 10
Save your money and get the Apple In-Ear Dual Drivers, a steal for $35 on ebay. Why spend $80-$100? You are not gonna get the perfect IEM for that price, especially ones that last that long. I believe if you get the Apple IEMs and they break, Apple will swap them out, no questions asked, at the Apple Store.

Also, they are an outstanding value, check the threads as I have posted some reviews of them today, and for that price, you aren't going to get a better IEM. Use some of your leftover cash to get some Comply T130 foamies to go with the ADDIEMs (you can get them, 3 pair, on the Audeo site for $13 shipped). Or get the Sony hybrid tips, they have a super small size.

These phones fit all your criteria, assuming you have a good seal.

Didn't you post that the RE2 crushed the Super.Fi 3s? Not my experience. If you have the RE2s, why do you need to buy a new set of IEMs? Not enough bass?

Jun 12, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #3 of 10
I have been looking at the ADDIEMs. But, I didn't like the RE2 because of the microphonics and weak bass. The UHP336 were okay, but the fit wasn't good for me, and I'm looking for a bit more.

Don't you think the PFE would be much better than the ADDIEMs or not?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Save your money and get the Apple In-Ear Dual Drivers, a steal for $35 on ebay. Why spend $80-$100? You are not gonna get the perfect IEM for that price, especially ones that last that long. I believe if you get the Apple IEMs and they break, Apple will swap them out, no questions asked, at the Apple Store.

Also, they are an outstanding value, check the threads as I have posted some reviews of them today, and for that price, you aren't going to get a better IEM. Use some of your leftover cash to get some Comply T130 foamies to go with the ADDIEMs (you can get them, 3 pair, on the Audeo site for $13 shipped). Or get the Sony hybrid tips, they have a super small size.

These phones fit all your criteria, assuming you have a good seal.

Didn't you post that the RE2 crushed the Super.Fi 3s? Not my experience. If you have the RE2s, why do you need to buy a new set of IEMs? Not enough bass?

Jun 12, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #4 of 10
Well, given the choice, I would choose the PFEs, but only, and for me this is critical, only if I was going to use and amp all the time. Not that the PFEs sound bad ampless, but I had trouble driving them with my DAPs (Clip, Sony and Zune, but not the Touch) without an amp. I see you have the E5, but to me, it's a hassle either way. And the PFEs are $135, not $80-$100. Plus, there is going to be a new model soon, so if you wait, the new ones might be better (new cable, sound enhancements, no cracking, etc).

With the ADDIEMs, no amp needed, but you can still use it (though I am not sure if it works with the E5, I remember reading something about that). They ADDIEMs just deliver clean, clear mids and highs, enough bass to make most people happy (not bass lite like the RE2s), and are pertty sturdy. Also, apart from the Complys or hybrids, I would get a shirt clip (I use the white Ety model for the er6i, $6) to cut down on cable noise.

I just think they are a terrific phone for $35. Is the PFE MUCH better? Only if you plan on spending another $130-$200 on a quality amp. Others may disagree, and I really did like the PFEs (I didn't use them much because of the amp thing and I also have Westone 3s). But to me, the price to SQ ratio is very good with the ADDIEMs. You can buy music with your leftover cash.

Jun 12, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #5 of 10
I tried my ADDIEMS for the first time last night. Sounded good, isolation was good, did get a bit of noise from the cables hitting my shirt, but it wasnt awful. And at $35, they are a great deal

Jun 12, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #6 of 10
You guys are tempting me with the ADDIEMs...

Yet, I can still afford the PFE. But, if there isn't too much of a difference, then...

Ugh, decisions decisions.

Anyone have any input on the Turbines? I hated the bass on the Marshmallows, but if this has a less boomy type of bass, then I suppose they're worth a look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back