The Perfect EQ Setting for the Modded HD5x5
Oct 27, 2009 at 3:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Hifihedgehog

500+ Head-Fier
I've been working on this for quite a while, so here's the (or what I think is) the perfect EQ config for modded HD555/HD595s:
Attachment 23430

The equalizer used is Electri-Q (AiXcoustic Creations: Electri-Q - posihfopit), which I added to Foobar with a VST bridge (like George Yohng's VST wrapper> http://www.yohng.com/foobarvst.zip). You will also need to add Foobar's equalizer to the active DSP list and reduce the output by -10 dB or so (take each bar and move it down 10 db or so). Else, it will clip with some songs.

The mods I am using on my HD555's include:

1) Complete removal of the plastic backing
-I cut this away with a razor blade
2) Removal of the screen covering the drivers

These two mods, are in my opinion, critical to an open soundstage. With the screen on, you'll notice a smooshed/distorted treble response is completely gone. With the plastic backing removed, the lower mids/bass will be improved many times over.

Anyway, I hope this is helpful. Doing these things really transforms these headphones! By the way, I also recommend using Naive Software's crossfeed (Naive Software) to add the icing to the cake.

Now, to continue my search for that rumored VST bridge for Windows' audio output...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back