The Peace of Etymotics
Nov 18, 2004 at 2:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

le_paulo

New Head-Fier
Thanks to all you ety owners for directing me to the 4Ps. They are truly a lovely phone.

One phenomenon that has struck me immediately is the peaceful sensation I have when I put the phones on and listen to music. I've noticed this most coming home on the train after work when most of us are typically wound up.

I used to wear the Sony EX71s but the ER-4Ps are so far ahead of the Sony's it's not funny. I've done a whole afternoon of A-B testing: amped (Denon 3803 and 2900 DVD/SACD), iRiver H120 and Sony minidisc. Listened to rock, hip-hop, jazz - both classics and modern, and classical. The rock and hip-hop albums sounded like I was listening from the recording booth due to the detail revealed, while classical albums rang with a clarity I don't get from my speakers.

That's not to say the etys are perfect and the faults are well documented elsewhere- microphonics and structure/design and cable are common complaints.

However, if you love music then transients, balance, clean bass and transparency are the words that come to mind when comparing the 2 phones. I AM getting bass - clean solid bass that can be spooky if you haven't experienced it on phones before.

Although one doesn't get the full effect riding on the train, I'm wondering whether the quality of the sound, its cleanliness compared to the outside, noisy world and noise cancelling effect has something to do with the almost zen-like sensation I get. I certainly don't get it just plugging my ears!!

Has anyone else had this experience? Should I take less of those pink pills at lunchtime??
etysmile.gif

Nov 18, 2004 at 3:42 PM Post #2 of 24
Peace is a great way to describe it. I got my first pair of etys (er-6i) a few months back after using ex-70s while commuting. The calm soothing quiet created by the isolation, is only improved by good quality canal phones pumping out great sound. I'd guess that the zen you're feeling is a combination of the sound quality and isolation. Both are MUCH better on the Etys than the Sonys you were using.

If you want to really notice the calm that they create, try this. Use them regularly especially since you mentioned you're a train commuter. Skip a day.
Just walking through the train station and the noises on the platform will be more than you want to even deal with for a day let alone 5-10 minutes.

Glad you're enjoying the etys

Happy listening
-Jeff
etysmile.gif

Nov 18, 2004 at 3:53 PM Post #3 of 24
It is a nice feeling, but perhaps too nice for situations like walking in the city. The complete isolation from the outside world makes it far too easy to miss the fire truck speeding through the red as you cross on a green light, and even commuting here in NYC is a bit unnerving. I find myself scanning the crowds of commuters carefully looking for explosive backpacks, and potential bioweapon discharges. (Though even perfectly unimpaired hearing is only of so much use of course...) So enjoy the music, but use caution and common sense!

des

Nov 18, 2004 at 4:05 PM Post #4 of 24
I use my ER4p's on airplanes when I travel, and not only do I get a great music listening session out of them, but I arrive, less fatigued, mostly because the drone of the engine noise, is very invasive on your nervous system.

I also use them when jogging, usually through parks where I don't have to worry about cars, and it "Zens" me into a great workout (it is the only time I listen to music with a repetitive beat).

I enjoy being in a noisy place, and rolling the foam up, placing them on my ears, and slowly hear the noise vanish to a whisper!

BTW-Do you have any extra, of those pink pills?
tongue.gif

Nov 18, 2004 at 4:10 PM Post #5 of 24
as an nyc commuter who got the er4p's about 2 months ago, i'll jump on this bandwagon. i actually look forward to my commute every day, because i get to listen to my etys. even jammed into a subway train, with my face mashed against the window, i probably have a silly grin on my mug.

as for walking in the city... i am much more visually aware of my surroundings. checking and double-checking before i cross the street, etc. i notice people around me more than i once did. and because i'm in less of a hurry (really, i amble much more than i used to), i feel i'm at less risk of unwittingly (or unwittedly?) jumping into traffic.
eek.gif

one thing i've noticed: they are exceedingly revealing of poor recordings and/or low bitrate encoding. it seems to me that the general complaint of the bass being thin is causally related to this. that is, when i listen to well-produced music at a high-bitrate, the bass is always tight, clean and present. conversely, with poor encoding or poor production, the sound tends to be grainier and thinner. i tend to avoid the lo-fi music in my collection.

now i need to get a higher-capacity iPod so i have room for all my reencoded music, and a portable amp so i can discover the magic of the ER4S.

glad you're enjoying them as much as i am.

etysmile.gif

Nov 18, 2004 at 4:43 PM Post #6 of 24
For everyone who needs or feels the need for an easy solution to the microphonics, then here it is. It was posted in another thread by me, just post it here as I think it is very easy and can make life even better with the etymotics.

WHat you have to do is insert the ety's in normally.
Now run the cables behind the ears and bring both to the front near the throat. essentially what you have to do is use one of the zip ties/strip locks/zip locks/cable ties, to join the 2 cables so that there is just enough gap to move it up and down.
This way once you have inserted the ety's in follow the cable looping procedure and then just bring the tie lock up so that it sits under the neck, no movement, no microphonics no crap like that.
My trips in the bus are getting better and better. I can't even feel the vibrations throught the wires now.
Pretty easy to do and works easily.

Nov 18, 2004 at 9:03 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
one thing i've noticed: they are exceedingly revealing of poor recordings and/or low bitrate encoding. it seems to me that the general complaint of the bass being thin is causally related to this. that is, when i listen to well-produced music at a high-bitrate, the bass is always tight, clean and present. conversely, with poor encoding or poor production, the sound tends to be grainier and thinner. i tend to avoid the lo-fi music in my collection.

Well said. I find the same to be true.

Nov 18, 2004 at 10:45 PM Post #8 of 24
Because of the ER-4P, I now only store music on my iPod in Apple's Lossless format because these canalphones are so incredibly precise when you get use to inserting them properly.

Since I've had these canalphones, I've been blissing out in audio nirvana during my 45 mins bus ride to work. I never thought I'd be able to do some critical listening in a noisy environment like that but I catch the subtlest nuances and soft background tracks. The cymbals sound so incredibly vivid - you can truly hear its timbre and its vibrant character. But of course, this is only true of good recordings. Since I've had the ER-4P, I've been seeking only the best recordings like a bee seeking the best flowers to collect its pollen and experience its nectar.

BTW, I tried that microphonic back-of-the-ear technique and it looks ridiculous. Are people seriously going out in public with their ER-4's arranged like that. Bahahaha!
icon10.gif

Nov 18, 2004 at 11:10 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by neuro
Because of the ER-4P, I now only store music on my iPod in Apple's Lossless format because these canalphones are so incredibly precise when you get use to inserting them properly.

A single search could answer this question, but what is the bitrate of Lossless? All my music is 192kb/s, done in the MusicMatch days.

Is Lossless significantly better?

Nov 18, 2004 at 11:50 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by neuro
BTW, I tried that microphonic back-of-the-ear technique and it looks ridiculous. Are people seriously going out in public with their ER-4's arranged like that. Bahahaha!
icon10.gif

Mate,
when you stick them ety's in the ears and those 2 wires stick out like freakin' alien antennae, what in the world makes you think that people think any different?

believe me it is worth the mod and comfortable too as there is no chance of them getting ripped out of your ears. Now believe me that will hurt like hell if it
happens!!!

Nov 18, 2004 at 11:56 PM Post #12 of 24
i've had my 4p's for about 4 months now...

and i have only one complaint....

i'm trying to get etymotic to develop a grey triflange. i think it would look a little better than a yellowing white tri-flange.

Nov 19, 2004 at 12:14 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by james902
i've had my 4p's for about 4 months now...

and i have only one complaint....

i'm trying to get etymotic to develop a grey triflange. i think it would look a little better than a yellowing white tri-flange.

I think one of the benefits of the white tri-flange is that you can see if there's any dust or stuff on it before and after you put them into your ears.

Nov 19, 2004 at 12:28 AM Post #15 of 24
I think the etys have re-emerged as flavour of the month, and what a worthy contender it is. I'm still totally in love with mine 4 months down the line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back