The Paradox of Choice (Maybe too much is a bad thing)
Mar 24, 2012 at 12:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Bonobo Loco

100+ Head-Fier
We always assume that having more options will make us happier, right? In the video below, Barry Schwartz talks about how too much choice can actually make us unhappy.

The reason I think this video is relevant to fellow Head-Fi members is that sometimes I feel like a victim of information overload. Just as he talks about in his video, I feel like no matter which choice I make, it might be the wrong one, and there are so many options... how could I possibly make the right one? Even with something like the AKG K701. I listened to the headphone, didn't really like it, but read so many good things about the K/Q701 here on the board that it made me second guess myself... maybe I had the wrong source... the wrong amp... the wrong.. .ears? I don't know but something has to be drawing people to this set of headphones.

And my current dilemma over the last month or so has been between buying the hd650 and the denon d5k or d7k. So many contrary comments... so little time.

I don't want you to solve my dilemma between the denon and sennheiser headphones in this thread. I've dealt with that in several threads and many PM's. I just want to know what you guys think about what this guy has to say about choice and how a forum like this might actually aid in making you less happy with your audio adventures.

All the best, and thanks for any feedback : )

Edit: At around 8 minutes in he talks about "paralysis instead of liberation" caused by too much choice...  boy can I relate with that.

Mar 24, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #2 of 3
18 views no responses... ok I know I'm not really used to head-fi compared with other forums... but I think it's ok to post something slightly off  topic if it's closely related to things we can all relate with... I think that you all are sophisticated enough to appreciate that.

So is this the wrong place to have a discussion about this? C'mon people lets talk about something interesting :wink:

Mar 24, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #3 of 3
I did read his book when it came out and I think the video covers mostly the same ground. The concept of satisficer and maximizer that he has is a useful model. I know that my personal style leans more towards maximizing, occasionally leading to analysis paralysis. Reading the book did help me become more aware of my decision making process and pushed me towards making quicker decisions- then not looking back.  

Another TED talk that ties into this one is the Dan Gilbert talk on synthesizing happiness: http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_gilbert_asks_why_are_we_happy.html

*ETA- Usually something relating tangentially to headphones in this way would get posted in the Members Lounge (or sent to the dungeon of sound science)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back