The Pacemaker
Jun 22, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #46 of 87
I would love so much to review this player. I'd buy it in a blink if it cost 3 times less.

The CNET review is no good. It seems a press release.

Jun 23, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #47 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would love so much to review this player. I'd buy it in a blink if it cost 3 times less.

The CNET review is no good. It seems a press release.

I've come to expect very little from them. The woman who does the bulk of their headphone reviews started out a few years ago without a clue. She's gotten considerably better over time, but still spends a maddening amount of space on irrelevancies like color selection, appearance, etc.

I thought the Pacemaker review was shallow, but they were on the right track by focusing on the DJ capabilities. Of course, it seems like a great player all around, but I can't imagine very many people shelling out that kind of money unless they have a compelling interest in the DJ functionality. I could see pros or serious amateurs using it as a portable sketch pad, or perhaps at small parties.

I have no good reason for wanting one, but I want one.

Oct 30, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #48 of 87
Can this thing record your mixes somehow? Anyhow?

Like make mixlists on the go... So if you mix something really good, you can save the result? Otherwise it really looses a lot as an amateur DJ device...

Also.. SQ?! What about SQ?!! Is it good? For $800+ It better should be!!

BTW... I think this is the best useless scandalously expencive thing you MUST (I mean WANT to) buy with extremely high probabilities, that you will never really use it... Nothing comes close to Pacemaker in this category..

Oct 30, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #49 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I meant OS X being the operating system of my MacBook. Well, for the most part, I really like it and I'm not going back to Windows.

VM Ware/Parallels/Bootcamp

For OS X, try xAct and Max. I use them for my conversions but I don't know if it handles ALAC. I think they were both made for Mac, so it should, but no promises.

Oct 31, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #50 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZzBOG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can this thing record your mixes somehow? Anyhow?

Like make mixlists on the go... So if you mix something really good, you can save the result? Otherwise it really looses a lot as an amateur DJ device...

From the CNET review:

One feature unique to the Pacemaker is its capability to record and save mixes. To accomplish this feat, Tonium could have simply resampled the Pacemaker's playback output into a new audio file and called it a day. Instead, the Pacemaker records mixes by tracking the adjustments made during your mix (track volume, crossfade amount, EQ changes, pitch adjustment, etc.) and associates that data with your song files. Later, when you connect the Pacemaker to your Mac or PC, special Pacemaker software allows you to play back these mix files, make adjustments, save the results, and legally share the mix on the Pacemaker Web site. Currently, the Pacemaker software does not let you export your mix as one long audio file, but there are creative workarounds.

Keep in mind that I have not owned or used this device. I am simply passing through information from CNET's review.

Tonium also has a desktop app for creating and editing mixes, and sharing them online.

The more I read about this device, the more I realize I have absolutely no legitimate need for it. And the more I want one.

Nov 1, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #51 of 87
i am from Greece.my friend of mine got it from the company to review it.they will sell it in Greece for 750 euros.I dont think that anyone would buy it when with that money u can buy a laptop ,install the best mixing music software and have more that 120 hard drive...i have seen it ,its very easy to use but too expensive for an amateur dj.A professional one ,if he respects himself would never have one of these or a laptop.So we conlude that this product although is very simple and clever ,its too expensive comparing to other options u have to mix....

Nov 1, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #52 of 87
I've seen one in use at a party near Cairns, Australia... sound quality was pretty good, but it was going into a pretty ****ty PA...

One thing you should probably investigate is, because it's primarily a remixing application, you might not get bit perfect output out of it? Although I'd expect it to be upscaling everything to 24/96 anyway... in which case you shouldn't be able to tell the difference (well, maybe
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Nov 7, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #53 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The more I read about this device, the more I realize I have absolutely no legitimate need for it. And the more I want one.

That's what's taking me over too, man.
This is the most attractive useless thing I've ever met in my consumer life.

P.S. Anybody can compare Pacemaker with any other high-end DAP??

Nov 7, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #54 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calexico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
VM Ware/Parallels/Bootcamp

For OS X, try xAct and Max. I use them for my conversions but I don't know if it handles ALAC. I think they were both made for Mac, so it should, but no promises.

Yeah...Max handles ALAC as well as FLAC.

Nov 7, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #55 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZzBOG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anybody can compare Pacemaker with any other high-end DAP??

Does anyone on head-fi own one?

Nov 10, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #56 of 87
Mar 20, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #57 of 87
Hi there,
its my first post here,and right now I am still not that good at finding my desired informations.Can anyone tell me if the pacemaker has got an digital output,or not.
I know this thing is pretty expansive,but if it has the digital output it will be on my list of soon to be purchased gear,because its not so easy to get a iriver for a reasonable price,wich is due to the great demand for those by fellow head-fiers :wink:
I am not a DJ,but I think,sometimes I would play around a little with that function.But 120 GB,great support for various codecs and from what I have seen,a good interface in combination with digital output and a iBasso D10.That would be great!

Mar 20, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #58 of 87
seems almost like vapourware; no-one on here has got one AFAIK and if it did truly have digital output I think someone would; people here spend that sort of money and heaps more on rigs, and if it did have digital out i'm sure we would know about it by now it was stated as having coaxial digital in rumours, but there is no connector that could carry a coaxial signal. only thing could be spdif on an optical/mini combo jack. but there is no mention of it on the website, so I think it is a falicy

Mar 20, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #60 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Quaddy had one? Might have sold it though?

so it doesnt have digital out does it?? no mention of it on the sirte and cant see anywhere on the device that could have it unless optical/mini combo, but i'm sure they would mention it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back