The out of the box 701 sounds awfully bright
Mar 7, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #17 of 24
After you try the RS-1...the K70X just sound the right color, and full open.
The low mid and the high mid smooth in with the burn in processes, first big step at 80-100 hours...
beerchug.gif

BTW, how they sound from the EMU compare to the X-Can v3 ?

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At the headphone store, they only had a brand new AGK701.
From the test CD, the sound appeared to be very detailed, but also awfully bright. Is that the case also from a well-burned-in 701?

After about the 500-hour mark, most of the exceptional brightness is much less. After more than 1500-hours, the headphone should be well settled in. read one my threads in regards to further softening the audio signature of the K701. In fact a further improvement in the overall character of the headphones are emphasized to a significant degree. Just check the thread that I created some time ago. This modification may further improve the sonic quality of the K701.

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by sikki-six /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K701s have a bright sound, there's no two ways about it. Actually because of this, they are very revealing when mixing or mastering music - they reveal basically everything - except the lowest of lows... The burn-in seems to do wonders though, you should keep at it.

actually they're terrible for mixing. You have no idea how much "thump" a given track has with them. They're great for examining things and picking out problems though, which is what I think you're talking about.

Mar 8, 2009 at 9:35 AM Post #20 of 24
You first haveto give it atleast a 500hour burn in, then sell your car and put all that money into an amp, and you will definetly get 1% more bass. If this doesn't sound like a genius plan, this can might not be the right one for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After you try the RS-1...the K70X just sound the right color, and full open.

After listening to the RS-1, they still sound overly bright and with way to less lows. Hell even more so, the RS1 are a lush warm sounding can, how could this reduce the effect for you acix??

Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
actually they're terrible for mixing. You have no idea how much "thump" a given track has with them. They're great for examining things and picking out problems though, which is what I think you're talking about.

exactly!

Mar 8, 2009 at 9:56 AM Post #21 of 24
Headphones are highly personal - just like all audio equipment. Do what people say: break them in and see what they sound like after 700 hours. My advice: just play them 24/7 for 4 weeks in a row off a digital source with regular music.

Mar 8, 2009 at 10:20 AM Post #22 of 24
If there is thump with the K701 you maybe have the the perfect recording or that it´s actually emotionally involving even with those
smily_headphones1.gif

I am burning in a pair and I do feel it´s getting a bit smoother... I wouldn´t be afraid to use pink noise at moderate volumes of course to speed up the process. Of course I do believe they will always be a bright can unless they do some reverse ultrasone at 1000 hours or somethiing getting more bass instead of a better treble. Also I don´t see how a recable would dramatically change this? I guess I am not a cable believer after trying a power cable and now a Clarus cable on my PRO 900... Surely there is difference but not like getting a new amp or anything for the same amount of money
wink.gif

However the most effective way of getting more body and bass is to use a transducer. Or a sub woofer of course if you don´t have neighbours... I don´t find the K701 bright with my LFE at all. Truly I don´t get the air pressure from my PRO 900 which still have higher quality bass and better treble but well it´s not in the same price range. I find myself not using the LFE as much with the 900 but a lot with the 701
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2009 at 12:08 PM Post #23 of 24
1500hours burn in? There isn't a chance anyone would accurately remember what they sounded like 1500 hours ago.

Mar 8, 2009 at 12:09 PM Post #24 of 24
Just wait till you hit the 3000hour mark b0dhi, they will trump the O2's by then!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back