The ORIGINAL Star Wars comes to DVD
Sep 22, 2006 at 3:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

redshifter

High Fidelity Gentility• redrum....I mean redshifter• Pee-pee. Hoo-hoo.• I ♥ Garfield
i'm tempted to pick this up, but has anyone seen the new star wars dvd, the one with the 2004 special edition and the original 1977 version? how does the 1977 version look and sound? i know it is non-anamorphic, but otherwise, is it worth $20?
20060516_iv_bg.jpg

Sep 22, 2006 at 3:54 PM Post #2 of 27
?? Which one are you talking about that is non-anamorphic? This new one of the old version? If so I will not buy it... non-anamorphic looks like total poop on w/s TV.

If GL was smart he would have put one out with both versions on a flip disc... probably would have sold more IMO.

Sep 22, 2006 at 4:16 PM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubei
Maybe he will later . . . so he can make yet another buck
rolleyes.gif

Wouldn't surprise me if he's releasing the original versions after insisting that he never would it just shows how much of a money grubbing person he's become.

Sep 22, 2006 at 4:31 PM Post #5 of 27
yes yes, lucas sucks, but back to the dvd. if anyone has it, would you post some screengrabs of the original sw?

wakeride, the original is presented in non-anamorphic. the 2004 sw is anamorphic.

another thing to consider is 2007 is the 30th anniversary of sw. i'll bet we see another maybe high def release, with properly remastered originals.

-edit
found a good review here with lots of screenshots!
http://www.dvdactive.com/reviews/dvd...new-hope2.html

Sep 22, 2006 at 4:47 PM Post #6 of 27
I'm still using a regular 27" tv so the Original version (rented from Netflix) looks great in letterbox form. The picture quality is much better than I though it would be and is much more enjoyable without the CGI crap. The sound is not bad either but it's not surround but neither was the original theather version.

I'd probably buy them if it was only the Original version but it's not worth it to get the special addition again. Plus he will probably repackage it again to buy the Original versions as a set and then come out with a anamorphic version later.

Sep 22, 2006 at 5:01 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdone
I'm still using a regular 27" tv so the Original version (rented from Netflix) looks great in letterbox form. The picture quality is much better than I though it would be and is much more enjoyable without the CGI crap. The sound is not bad either but it's not surround but neither was the original theather version.

I'd probably buy them if it was only the Original version but it's not worth it to get the special addition again. Plus he will probably repackage it again to buy the Original versions as a set and then come out with a anamorphic version later.

thanks iamdone! actually lucas will re-release the originals in an anamorphic boxed set, but it will be on laserdisc and betamax only.

reading the reviews i guess the dolby 2.0 mix on the dvd has a mono surround channel. perhaps we are lucky lucasfilm didn't do any further restoration... the color correction in the 2004 edition looks oversaturated.

Sep 22, 2006 at 5:11 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
thanks iamdone! actually lucas will re-release the originals in an anamorphic boxed set, but it will be on laserdisc and betamax only.

BETAMAX??? Seriously?

Sep 22, 2006 at 5:18 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

reading the reviews i guess the dolby 2.0 mix on the dvd has a mono surround channel. perhaps we are lucky lucasfilm didn't do any further restoration... the color correction in the 2004 edition looks oversaturated.

I actually like the slightly faded look. It bring back memories and looks like the 70's film it should be.

Sep 22, 2006 at 5:21 PM Post #11 of 27
I bought all of them this week and they are spectacular IMO. Precisely what I have been waiting for all these years. This is exactly how I remember seeing them as a kid, and they do the job bringing back all of those fantastic memories.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
?? Which one are you talking about that is non-anamorphic? This new one of the old version? If so I will not buy it... non-anamorphic looks like total poop on w/s TV.

Whoa I am shocked.
wink.gif
I assumed someone like you would have been all up to date on this and all about it as well. These are the originals my man. They're not supposed to be anamorphic and touched up. They are exactly how they were back in the day, slightly grainy feel and everything. If one doesn't love that about the original trilogy then no, I don't think they need to bother with picking up this set. However, if you're like me and you've been dying to see the originals in all their glory available on legitimate dvd, this is the definitive original set.

Of course these are all 2-disc sets and disc 1 of each set is the same newly-remastered versions released on dvd in 2004 that I absolutely refused to purchase and support. Well it looks like I couldn't stick to my guns on that as Lucas insisted on packing them in with the originals. Yes the picture looks fantastic on the remasters, along with the sound, but they will never be replacements for the originals...at least not to my eyes. If Han doesn't shoot first then it's just not the real thing, despite Lucas insisting that this is how he would have made them from the start if he had the tech.

To answer your question though redshifter, these are fabulous transfers if you really love the original trilogy. I've read quite a few complaints on various forums from people that are trying to claim that these are no better than VHS transfers. Absolute rubbish. These are, without a doubt, the best version of the OT available today. It would have been nice to have the 5.1 sound from the remastered versions, but the original 2.0 dolby is more than adequate. Sure, on a 50"+ screen, specifically DLP or LCD technology, these might not blow some away like the remasters. Those technologies are so digital dependant that you will see some noise and artifacting in the picture. It's not like an SD vs HD difference but the remasters clearly have the "enhanced" look to them. On my 16x9 34XBR960 Sony HD tube tv though, these are just cake. I can't get enough. I've watched "A New Hope" and "Empire" each twice already and it just feels so damn good to be back with the originals. For > $20 a pop, I just couldn't say no.

Sep 22, 2006 at 5:24 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubei
BETAMAX??? Seriously?

I think he meant to type Lucas re-released, not will re-release.

He's already done that with laserdiscs, as I own the set, but I highly doubt anyone would be dabbling with betamax these days. Perhaps I'm just assuming too much though and out of date on this?

Care to elaborate more on this redshifter? When and where did you read this?

Sep 22, 2006 at 5:25 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

i'm tempted to pick this up, but has anyone seen the new star wars dvd, the one with the 2004 special edition and the original 1977 version? how does the 1977 version look and sound? i know it is non-anamorphic, but otherwise, is it worth $20?
20060516_iv_bg.jpg

Your feeble skills are no match for the dark side.....You will pay the price for your lack of vision....now young skywalker, you will die!!!!
rs1smile.gif

Sep 22, 2006 at 5:31 PM Post #14 of 27
Yeah, I should have been up on it... I guess I didn't think anything is done in non-anamorphic. My TV was one of the first HD w/s and has some weird deal that if I am using the component input I can not adjust the screen size son non-anamorphic is stretched out and looks awful.
frown.gif

Sep 22, 2006 at 5:33 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR
I think he meant to type Lucas re-released, not will re-release.

He's already done that with laserdiscs, as I own the set, but I highly doubt anyone would be dabbling with betamax these days. Perhaps I'm just assuming too much though and out of date on this?

Care to elaborate more on this redshifter? When and where did you read this?

aaaah, it was a joke! a jab at lucas rereleasing everything ad nauseum and fans will buy it no matter what.

f1gtr and iamdone,
yes, the originals really had that faded, classic cinema quality. lucas used vintage 1950's cinemascope cameras to shoot sw, and i think it gives the film a classic look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back