The opposite of HD650 please.
Mar 9, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #16 of 22
I'm sure I would. Not sure I want to pay the price for it though... 
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 9, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #17 of 22
  The K702s sound incredibly neutral, direct, airy, real, life-like and high-res to me, with an incredible soundstage. Music on the HD600 on the other hand was buried underneath a veil and had boomy bass (which admittedly made a lot of somewhat anemic recordings more fun). I'm assuming the HD650 would have been even worse. Might have been an issue with the amplifier or my headphones were an outlier, but all was fine when I switched to the K702. 

I've had the HD600 and HD650 sometime in the past, only have the HD650 now.
Despite being a little bit softer and more laid back, the HD650 is clearer, more resolving, with slightly bigger stage and more extended bass.

Anyway, if you are the kind of listener who loves the K702 then HD650 is not the headphone for you.
K702 can be an end game headphone without the need of breaking the bank. I have other  - much more expensive - headphones around and still grab my K702 pretty often.

Happy Listening!

Mar 10, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #19 of 22
  I've had the HD600 and HD650 sometime in the past, only have the HD650 now.
Despite being a little bit softer and more laid back, the HD650 is clearer, more resolving, with slightly bigger stage and more extended bass.

Anyway, if you are the kind of listener who loves the K702 then HD650 is not the headphone for you.
K702 can be an end game headphone without the need of breaking the bank. I have other  - much more expensive - headphones around and still grab my K702 pretty often.

Happy Listening!

Thanks, interesting about the 650! It does seem like I would have to step up to e.g. the HD800 or possible K812(?) instead for an improved headphone that doesn't adjust the sound in (to me) unwanted ways. Of course, I haven't listened to either of them and they're simply out of my targeted price range at the moment, and possibly forever. It's all good though. I don't necessarily need "the best" when "good enough" already sounds so very nice to me. So I really am happy as can be with the 702 at this time (just like the thread starter could be, I would think).

Mar 10, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #20 of 22

Thanks, interesting about the 650! It does seem like I would have to step up to e.g. the HD800 or possible K812(?) instead for an improved headphone that doesn't adjust the sound in (to me) unwanted ways. Of course, I haven't listened to either of them and they're simply out of my targeted price range at the moment, and possibly forever. It's all good though. I don't necessarily need "the best" when "good enough" already sounds so very nice to me. So I really am happy as can be with the 702 at this time (just like the thread starter could be, I would think).

HD800 is somehow drier than my late K702 (sn.129.xxx), it's also more analytical with a slight tendency to sound steely which is not the case on K702. Despite K702 being very capable technically speaking HD800 is definitely a more powerful tool for analysis, but be aware that it's a tad less 'musical', more of a studio tool or microscope.

K812 is along the lines of HD800, they are quite close indeed. K812 is even more analytical, the sound is more direct and instrument separation is really impressive. Both are similarly unforgiving of poor quality or sibilant recordings. Both a tad brighter than K702. The bass on K812 is a little bit, just a little bit more than on my late K702. Clearly less than on K712. HD800 on the other hand has a little bit less bass than my K702. Main difference between HD800 and K812 is that HD800 is more distant and more microresolving, while K812 is more direct and more powerful in terms of instrument separation / macro detail, in other words the texture of the sound has normally a tiny bit more insight with HD800, while tracking the bass or pointing each instrument in the soundscape is easier with K812.

My late T1 (1st Genereation) is probably the closest to my K702, it has just a tad more punch in the bass and slightly sharper presentation but it's closer to K702 than HD800/812 in terms of not having an overly analytical sound signature. Tesla T1 is still a little bit more analytical than K702 with a more focused sound (improved imaging) and just a tad flatter in the upper midrange but both sound quite alike. The thing with the T1 is that there's some reported unit to unit variation, and I can not asure other pair will sound the same as mine.

K702 shows you the whole picture anyway, there's no need to upgrade anytime soon.
Headphones like T1/HD800/K812 are a little bit more capable here and there if you compare them side by side with K702, but the difference is quite small (unlike the price difference) and as they all have a slightly different sound signature there's always a change you enjoy K702's signature more.

Mar 10, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #21 of 22

HD800 is somehow drier than my late K702 (sn.129.xxx), it's also more analytical with a slight tendency to sound steely which is not the case on K702. Despite K702 being very capable technically speaking HD800 is definitely a more powerful tool for analysis, but be aware that it's a tad less 'musical', more of a studio tool or microscope.

K812 is along the lines of HD800, they are quite close indeed. K812 is even more analytical, the sound is more direct and instrument separation is really impressive. Both are similarly unforgiving of poor quality or sibilant recordings. Both a tad brighter than K702. The bass on K812 is a little bit, just a little bit more than on my late K702. Clearly less than on K712. HD800 on the other hand has a little bit less bass than my K702. Main difference between HD800 and K812 is that HD800 is more distant and more microresolving, while K812 is more direct and more powerful in terms of instrument separation / macro detail, in other words the texture of the sound has normally a tiny bit more insight with HD800, while tracking the bass or pointing each instrument in the soundscape is easier with K812.

My late T1 (1st Genereation) is probably the closest to my K702, it has just a tad more punch in the bass and slightly sharper presentation but it's closer to K702 than HD800/812 in terms of not having an overly analytical sound signature. Tesla T1 is still a little bit more analytical than K702 with a more focused sound (improved imaging) and just a tad flatter in the upper midrange but both sound quite alike. The thing with the T1 is that there's some reported unit to unit variation, and I can not asure other pair will sound the same as mine.

K702 shows you the whole picture anyway, there's no need to upgrade anytime soon.
Headphones like T1/HD800/K812 are a little bit more capable here and there if you compare them side by side with K702, but the difference is quite small (unlike the price difference) and as they all have a slightly different sound signature there's always a change you enjoy K702's signature more.

How would you go about comparing the K712 to the K702?  I'd be mainly using this or that can for movies and gaming.

Mar 10, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #22 of 22
How would you go about comparing the K712 to the K702?  I'd be mainly using this or that can for movies and gaming.

K712 is warmer/ more full bodied (more lower mids and bass relative to K702) and has a more focused image. K702 is a tad lighter on its feet, flatter, more expansive and diffuse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back