The opposite of HD650 please.
Mar 6, 2017 at 5:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

pete321

100+ Head-Fier
Might be because I have bad ears (medication related I think), or not properly amped (although i have a mojo into cv5) but i've never had a good experience with mine, they sound distant, muddy, jumbled together and underpowered. i have to turn mojo all the way up to white/white near distortion levels to be loud enough but it still doesn't sound good.

Anyway, I'm looking for something that is easy to drive extremely loud without distortion (amped by mojo), neutral (bright if necessary, no more darkness, no more veil though), very forward (I want the action right in my head), detailed, clear, separated, and as wide soundstage as possible, closed or open but by reading I think closed back might be better for my needs.

$500 or less

thanks for any suggestions.

Mar 7, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #2 of 22
Not $500 or less:

HD800

Something cheaper (much cheaper used): Beyerdynamic T90 or AKG K712 or K702 or K7xx

Mar 7, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #3 of 22
  Might be because I have bad ears (medication related I think), or not properly amped (although i have a mojo into cv5) but i've never had a good experience with mine, they sound distant, muddy, jumbled together and underpowered. i have to turn mojo all the way up to white/white near distortion levels to be loud enough but it still doesn't sound good.

Anyway, I'm looking for something that is easy to drive extremely loud without distortion (amped by mojo), neutral (bright if necessary, no more darkness, no more veil though), very forward (I want the action right in my head), detailed, clear, separated, and as wide soundstage as possible, closed or open but by reading I think closed back might be better for my needs.

$500 or less

If you are looking for neutral and closed, you might consider looking at the NAD HP50. It is supremely neutral for a closed can in your price range. I would also suggest you check out the MEZE 99 Classics, which is also quite good.

Mar 7, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #4 of 22
thanks for the recommendations. Will look into those.

I'm thinking about trying a Grado sr60e, because I read grados have the most forward sound (which is important to me), and those don't even need an amp (although i will still use the mojo), just to see if it's my ears are weird or just my setup was not great.

Will that be a very different signature than the HD650?

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #5 of 22
The Grado will be bright and in your face, with even less sound stage than the HD 650.  They won't have much bass, but what is there is punchy and won't muddy the sound.  If at all possible, I'd recommend demoing any Grado before buying.  They have a distinctive sound and the fit on ear is not pleasant to everyone. 

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #6 of 22
I'm not too big into bass, mids and treble are more important to me, sucks about the sound stage but oh well, I've definitely heard dark so I'm interested to hear bright cans, I should be able to find some near my city to try, otherwise I'll just buy entry level grados from amazon they're not too expensive.

Mar 8, 2017 at 1:16 AM Post #7 of 22

$500 or less

Grado SR325e

Mar 9, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #9 of 22
DT880 Pro
Tesla T90
HD700
HD800

Mar 9, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #10 of 22
AKG k712 or HE 350.

Mar 9, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #12 of 22

$500 or less

The Fidelio X2 seems to tick all the boxes. They are open though.

Mar 9, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #13 of 22

$500 or less

Let me know if you want to get rid of those HD650s! 
wink.gif

Mar 9, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #14 of 22
  neutral (bright if necessary, no more darkness, no more veil though), very forward (I want the action right in my head), detailed, clear, separated, and as wide soundstage as possible 

The K702s sound incredibly neutral, direct, airy, real, life-like and high-res to me, with an incredible soundstage. Music on the HD600 on the other hand was buried underneath a veil and had boomy bass (which admittedly made a lot of somewhat anemic recordings more fun). I'm assuming the HD650 would have been even worse. Might have been an issue with the amplifier or my headphones were an outlier, but all was fine when I switched to the K702. 

Mar 9, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #15 of 22
  The K702s sound incredibly neutral, direct, airy, real, life-like and high-res to me, with an incredible soundstage. Music on the HD600 on the other hand was buried underneath a veil and had boomy bass (which admittedly made a lot of somewhat anemic recordings more fun). I'm assuming the HD650 would have been even worse. Might have been an issue with the amplifier or my headphones were an outlier, but all was fine when I switched to the K702. 

If you like K702, you would LOVE the HD 800

Users who are viewing this thread

Back