The Open Championship
Jul 20, 2006 at 6:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Homeless

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone watching the Open today? I just watched Tiger finish up his round with an eagle and end at -5 (67), one behind the leader Graeme McDowell. The media hype surrounding the Woods/Faldo fued didn't pan out, Faldo finsish at +5. Mike Weir finished at -4
biggrin.gif

I thought it was interesting that Tiger only hit a driver once today, opting to use a 2 iron for most par 4's and par 5's even.

By the way, has it always just been called The Open Championship, or did they recently drop the "British" from it?

Jul 20, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR
Yea Tiger just made a nice strong finish. I love golf in HD.

The Open has always been called that. It's only been called "The British Open" in the States.

Yeah that makes sense, but hasn't it always been called the britsh open on american tv? I watched it on tnt (well, tsn in Canada), and they're just calling it the open championship...oh well, not a big deal, just curious was all...

Jul 20, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless
Yeah that makes sense, but hasn't it always been called the britsh open on american tv?

Yes it usually was referred to as "The British Open" up until about 5 years ago. I think there came a point in time where the networks realized just how stupid they sounded for calling it that because one of the stops in rotation for that tourney is St. Andrews in Scotland. One of the oldest, if not the oldest, courses in the world. I think they became aware of their ignorant ethnocentrism and finally were enlightened with the fact that Scotland isn't in the UK.

Jul 21, 2006 at 12:42 PM Post #6 of 14
We have a new leader...Tiger just finished this morning with a -7(65) and is at -12 after two rounds. I'm kind of annoyed I missed his round, but he finished at about 8:30 am EST...I wasn't about to get up at 4 am to watch, it'll be replayed anyway. I did see a replay of him hit an eagle on a par 4 from 205 out with a 4 iron
eek.gif

Jul 21, 2006 at 4:06 PM Post #8 of 14
Pretty amazing second round by tiger. Dimarco held the course record for one hour before Tiger finished his round and tied his record. haha. I'm gonna take a wild guess and say Tiger wins this one
cool.gif

Jul 21, 2006 at 5:20 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by enzoferrari650
I'd like to see how Els plays paired with Tiger. It'll be interesting.

I agree, none of the big boys have ever really challenged Tiger when he's in front at the midway point. I'm rooting for Tiger but I would like to see Ernie, Retief, Phil, Vijay given him a real challenge.

Jul 23, 2006 at 1:09 PM Post #12 of 14
Quick rant...
I've been watching the ABC coverage for almost 50 minutes this morning and have seen a total of 4 golf shots....What!!!!! More bl**dy commercials, "moments" and words from 'your ABC station' than golf.
mad.gif
I realise everyone wants to see Tiger et al start, but why do we have to watch his every PRACTISE swing when there is 70 or so other players out there and I, for one, would like to see them go round. It's got so bad I've switched the tv off and am now following it all on BBC online...ABC is such a load of plonkers!!!!
End rant
rolleyes.gif

Jul 23, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #13 of 14
What an amazing 4 rounds of golf Tiger put together. Just made it look so easy. I don't think I've ever seen someone play long irons that well. What are the pros going to do when Tiger can beat them using the driver once over 72 holes and hitting long irons like they were wedges? Nevermind the flawless putting. Really happy to see him win the way he did, and to see DiMarco put up another great showing. Els was a class act as always and as usual, Mickleson was left pouting about unfair pin placements.

Jul 24, 2006 at 1:51 AM Post #14 of 14
I was glad to see Tiger win considering the circumstances (the death of his dad and missing the cut at the US Open)...Great iron play, great putting. It's sweet when you go in with the lead and shoot the low round of the day, you can't lose
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back