The Opamp thread
Nov 23, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #3,317 of 7,383
After long time reading datasheets and trying to understand opamp circuits, i came to the conclusion that the AD797 can´t be put in the m-stage without modification of the circuit.

So i paralleled the source input resistors with 100ohms and also put 100ohms and 22pf in the feedback loop. 

Sound-stage opened up dramatically! It sounded like the instruments are right in front and around you. I compared it against LM4562 and it has no chance against Ad797BR. In every aspect.

Now i only have know where the resistor for the inverting input (-IN) is. Does someone have any clue?

Nevermind, i found it.

Also did Class A Bias. Brought another improvement in instrument separation and sound-stage.
I will add some RMAA measurements later on.

Dec 1, 2010 at 7:42 AM Post #3,318 of 7,383
I just measured the dc offset at the headphone output, it´s 9.9mv and -4.8mv. Can i measure the offset directly at the opamp output pins to ground? 
I´ve read somewhere it can be reduced by using a pot between pin 1 and 5. Is that correct or do i have to pay attention to something else?

Dec 1, 2010 at 7:45 AM Post #3,319 of 7,383
sure you can use a pot to inject some of the output signal back into the inverting input to get rid of offset, but seriously, I wouldnt worry too much about that level of offset

Dec 1, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #3,320 of 7,383

Quote:
After long time reading datasheets and trying to understand opamp circuits, i came to the conclusion that the AD797 can´t be put in the m-stage without modification of the circuit.

hehe theres a saying i'm searching for here somewhere, can you help me out here? 'I told you so' is that it? hehe

Dec 1, 2010 at 8:08 AM Post #3,321 of 7,383

Quote:
sure you can use a pot to inject some of the output signal back into the inverting input to get rid of offset, but seriously, I wouldnt worry too much about that level of offset

Ok. I just wondered what would happen if i removed the coupling cap. Therefore i wanted to know how high the offset is before going through the cap. Do you think it is a good idea to remove it if i can trim down dc offset?

Quote:
Quote:

hehe theres a saying i'm searching for here somewhere, can you help me out here? 'I told you so' is that it? hehe

biggrin.gif

Yep, you were right.

But i´m glad i tried it. I learned many new things.

And i´m very happy with the sonics of the AD797, never heard something similar. The sound-stage is HUGE
o2smile.gif

Dec 2, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #3,322 of 7,383
sure no cap is a good cap, if you can avoid them absolutely. actually now rereading your post I had forgotten about the null pins and was just describing how you might do it with a regular differential input opamp ie inject DC into the inverting input, but the 797 has its purpose built pins for this, so yeah go for it. youve done the distortion cancellation trick too yeah? its a tricky little opamp and the datasheet is full of good info and now you can see why you cant just drop it in and expect the best results. 

indeed bass slam and soundstage are superb with this chip.:cool:

Dec 2, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #3,323 of 7,383

Quote:
sure no cap is a good cap, if you can avoid them absolutely. actually now rereading your post I had forgotten about the null pins and was just describing how you might do it with a regular differential input opamp ie inject DC into the inverting input, but the 797 has its purpose built pins for this, so yeah go for it. youve done the distortion cancellation trick too yeah? its a tricky little opamp and the datasheet is full of good info and now you can see why you cant just drop it in and expect the best results. 

indeed bass slam and soundstage are superb with this chip.:cool:

okay
smile.gif

I measured dc offset directly from the opamp output pins and it is only 0.6mv and -0.5mv there. Why is it that much higher at the phones output? could the buffer add offset ?

yes i´ve done distortion cancelling, although i had no 50pf cap. I only used a 22pf , but it definitely changed the sound for the better.

I noticed that the higher i went with the class a biasing resistors the more stable it got. Best results so far are with 10k. Less heat than unbiased and more slam. Maybe it needs more load impedance? I think i will try some JFETs.

I thought about exchanging the adapter, what do you think is the best for a picky ic like Ad797? I found this one:
http://cgi.ebay.de/10pcs-Dual-SOIC-to-DIP-8-Convert-PCB-Adapter-SMD-OPA627-/230408616394?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35a56c79ca

Or maybe browndogs ? Mine came with rather cheap ebay adapters.

Dec 2, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #3,324 of 7,383
Those may be better.

Dec 3, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #3,326 of 7,383
diyinhk

Dec 4, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #3,328 of 7,383
Tried biasing again, this time with 15K. Another improvement. From what i have measured the m-stage uses +/- 14.15V. If i´ve not made an error bias must be at 0.943mA now.

Edit:

I found a schematic of the m-stage or some other BCL Clone:
http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy29/davidlouis1983/_.jpg

Dec 6, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #3,329 of 7,383
I have a quick question about the OPA2227 that I need for an Apheared 47 amp that I'm building. It is meant to drive low impedance cans like Grados. Does this alter the requirements for the 4 opamps in the schematic? Why does it require two dual channel opamps on the left and right sides of the schematic? http://benfeist.com/a47/

EDIT: Nevermind, I guess the two opamps in the schematic are simply the 8 pins of one opamp.

Dec 8, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #3,330 of 7,383
Hi everyone!

I want to make a DIY project with a Creative Sound Blaster Live 24bits, SB04100

I found this thread, great info, but I would like recommendations for opamps and capacitors, and I saw this opamp thread, but since it started more than a year ago and has 222 pages, I got desperate after some reading.

My current favorites based only on reviews and recommendations are:

LM4562
AD8066
OPA2211A
ADA4627-1

But I don't even know if I can place all of them at my card, open for suggestions.
I think I enjoy, in decreasing order, soundstage, detail, mids, bass, treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back