The Opamp thread
Jan 25, 2018 at 4:05 AM Post #5,761 of 7,383
LM4562, LME49720 and LME49860 are basically the same opamp.
LME49720 is LM4562 with a better manufacturing.
LME49860 is LME49720 with higher power supply range.

Although in my tests LME49860 it's way much noisier than LME49720 & LM4562...have no idea why. Had it tested in Voltage Amplification stage, but also in LPF (test done with LME49720 for left channel and LME49860 for right channel and noise coming from the left channel was half of the noise coming from the right).

It's like same TV brand and model, but if "Made in Japan" then it's better than "Made elsewhere". :)

Jan 25, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #5,762 of 7,383
That seems a bit high on the values. .1-10uF I thought was the desired spec.

What application? What do you run these in? I am going to run some leads to my OPamp and test the voltages to see how the HT omega power supply holds up under load.

I always use the Dubilier 15-16 series caps for coupling/decoupling, or oscillation suppression.

Jan 25, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #5,763 of 7,383
For most cases yeah you want (depending on type of cap, etc.) in the region of .1 to 10uf with these op amps - others might vary I dunno but most I've looked at recommend in the datasheet 10uf for aluminium electrolytics when using those - I swear by Nichicon KZ for clean neutral sound. Elna Silmic Ii are nice but they definitely aren't neutral not even close - quite pleasing though to listen to. The other option I use a bit is the Nichicon FG but they seem to boost somewhere in the 100s of Hz region (not enough of an expert to narrow it down) giving a bit more of a "full" or even warmer sound.

I also highly rate Cornell Dubilier caps if you are looking for a reference sound - some of them are a touch lean on the bass but otherwise excellently neutral through most of the frequency range - though I'm talking here more about film caps that are in the audio signal path, etc. but where appropriate mostly holds up for decoupling, etc. as well.

EDIT: Disclaimer this is all my subjective opinion based on 100s of hours of playing around as a hobby - I'm certainly not qualified in this field (dropped out of electronics engineering to go into computing) and what I experience might be very different for anyone else.

EDIT2: For the LME range and LM4562 that are closely related I found best results came from having some 0.01-0.1uf ceramic or similar caps from the rails to ground near the op amp itself and then a rail to rail 10uf aluminium electrolytic also close - adding extra 10uf AE caps from rail to ground alongside the high speed caps didn't seem to make any difference at all - I've not experimented with a range of values to see if something smaller like 2uf would have any effect.

Using say a 0.1-0.22uf film cap rail to rail in place of the 10uf AE seems to make some people happy but personally I found it narrowed the soundstage somehow - not sure how - other people seem happy with the results of it though.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #5,764 of 7,383
Just a crazy question: Does a 3% silver lead free solder give better extension in highs and airier wider soundstage? Does it also make the sounds a bit dry?

I notice that the new batch of opamps that I soldered with silver contaminated solder all have these characteristics. But the older ones which used a normal lead free solder don't have this characteristic.

It could be the opamps themselves but I highly doubt.

Opamps used: OPA2209, OPA2192, OPA2197, OPA1662

Jan 28, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #5,765 of 7,383
Possible it is a non-eutectic solder and your setup/technique resulted in poorly set solder joints - in extreme cases it might cause the op amp to oscillate which can manifest as a brighter, airier sound but that isn't a good thing :s that would be a fairly unusual occurrence though.

I've used a good range of eutectic solders from rubbishy cheap general purpose noname stuff from the Amazon through to more expensive blends and as long as the joint is properly formed I've never heard a noticeable difference. Though if its really cheap and dirty stuff it probably doesn't help the noise floor.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #5,767 of 7,383
Hi guys, I want to share my experience
My initial impression running with LME49600 is it has great micro details and air compare to muses02, vocal feels much lighter compare to muses02.
Nothing is harsh even with some track prone to hissing.
Running with BUF634 you get much thicker and sweeter mid but you loses the great micro details and air.
I don't like it as much as muses02 because I listen li it the most ever since I bought a Fiio E12DIY.
But after giving it a few hours, I like it much more now. Let see how it goes after a few days.
So IMG_20180203_140853.jpg , how is muses03 compare to muses02 and sparkoss ss3602? Is it worth the upgrade?

Feb 11, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #5,769 of 7,383
Hi guys. I want to try replace OPA2134PA in my HP-A4BL with one of higher quality. Is OPA1642 a good choice for this?
I highly recommend OPA2209 or OPA2192. OPA2192 being my favorite CMOS opamp and OPA2209 my favorite bipolar alongside OPA1612.

2209 has particularly an amazing resolution and detail level with a Great deal of soundstage depth. It is very airy, the bass and treble regions extension pretty well and overall it has a very neutral lively tonality. It doesn't sound dry and lifeless like say LME49720 but very alive and resolving. It particularly has the best treble detail and clarity I've heard, the best timbre in mid range. The vocals sound just so real, they have a very realistic feeling to it. Instruments sound perfect in their tone, nothing emphasized but everything is so well presented.

Forgot to say, it has the most textured sound I've heard.

Tried in xDuoo XD-05 and Burson Play I/V stage

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #5,770 of 7,383
Hmm haven't played with the 2209 before that I can recall - don't have any in my collection right now either - gonna order a couple to try out.

EDIT: Anyone know much about these op amps - the 2209 seems to be grouped on TI's pages with the 2211 (which I do have) for some reason - the 2211 IIRC just being a laser trimmed 1612 and largely indistinguishable to listen to though maybe a touch more spacious sounding - its hard to be sure as both, but especially the 1612, seem to do a little bit of "burn in" over the first few dozen hours of use.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 2:54 AM Post #5,771 of 7,383
I highly recommend OPA2209 or OPA2192. OPA2192 being my favorite CMOS opamp and OPA2209 my favorite bipolar alongside OPA1612.

2209 has particularly an amazing resolution and detail level with a Great deal of soundstage depth. It is very airy, the bass and treble regions extension pretty well and overall it has a very neutral lively tonality. It doesn't sound dry and lifeless like say LME49720 but very alive and resolving. It particularly has the best treble detail and clarity I've heard, the best timbre in mid range. The vocals sound just so real, they have a very realistic feeling to it. Instruments sound perfect in their tone, nothing emphasized but everything is so well presented.

Forgot to say, it has the most textured sound I've heard.

Tried in xDuoo XD-05 and Burson Play I/V stage

i too want to try it in my zishan dsd player's i/v stage but i'm not sure if it is suitable in place of op275,
the stock i/v opamp is op275 but it's architecture is butler (bipolar and jfet at the same time),

so should i choose bipolar or jfet or am i free to try whatever it is?

also, there is an improved version from AD, ADA4075-2 claimed that much lower noise and lower offset, anyone experienced it?

thanks in advance..

Feb 15, 2018 at 2:57 AM Post #5,772 of 7,383
i too want to try it in my zishan dsd player's i/v stage but i'm not sure if it is suitable in place of op275,
the stock i/v opamp is op275 but it's architecture is butler (bipolar and jfet at the same time),

so should i choose bipolar or jfet or am i free to try whatever it is?

also, there is an improved version from AD, ADA4075-2 claimed that much lower noise and lower offset, anyone experienced it?

thanks in advance..
You'll benefit from a CMOS opamp which has a low differential input capacitance (less than 5 pF).
Bipolars with low voltage and current noise density are good options.

Open loop gain (and CMRR) makes a great deal of difference.

The lack of PSRR can be easily mitigated by adding bypass caps but Aol and CMRR can't be compensated for externally.

Feb 15, 2018 at 3:01 AM Post #5,773 of 7,383
You'll benefit from a CMOS opamp which has a low differential input capacitance (less than 5 pF).
Bipolars with low voltage and current noise density are good options.

Open loop gain (and CMRR) makes a great deal of difference.

The lack of PSRR can be easily mitigated by adding bypass caps but Aol and CMRR can't be compensated for externally.

wow, thanks a lot for so quick reply..

i have opa1688, i can try it..
but do you suggest your favorite OPA2192 over it?

Feb 23, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #5,774 of 7,383
I have been away from the forums for a looooong time. Mostly been happy with my set up based around the Oppo HA1 and given up on portable rolling since getting the NW-ZX2... However, I've recently been playing with the Lycan amp and have to say I've enjoyed the Opamp tweaking again.

Anyhoo, don't want to derail the thread but just wanted to say that the OPA602BP is at present my absolute favourite. I gave all my OPA1612's away when I sold my balanced PB1 so have just ordered again from Farnell. Any love for either of these or is there any newer Opamps I should be auditioning?

Feb 23, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #5,775 of 7,383
I have been away from the forums for a looooong time. Mostly been happy with my set up based around the Oppo HA1 and given up on portable rolling since getting the NW-ZX2... However, I've recently been playing with the Lycan amp and have to say I've enjoyed the Opamp tweaking again.

Anyhoo, don't want to derail the thread but just wanted to say that the OPA602BP is at present my absolute favourite. I gave all my OPA1612's away when I sold my balanced PB1 so have just ordered again from Farnell. Any love for either of these or is there any newer Opamps I should be auditioning?
OPA1612 vs OPA602BP?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back