The one song that for you, changed everything:
Mar 3, 2007 at 7:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 68

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
Popped in Metallica's-"And Justice For All..." today for the first time in quite a whiles.

The first time I heard "One" I knew that I needed dark, heavy music...that ultimately led to NIN then Ministry then Tool, etc.

That was the turning point for me.

What was yours? (any genre)

Mar 3, 2007 at 7:52 AM Post #2 of 68
I used to listen to a lot of pop, and that was about it. Then one day I was surfing around online and a video I saw had the song "Rhapsody - Dawn of Victory" playing in the background. I looked it up, listened to some of their stuff, and absolutely loved it. From there, I moved into more modern metal, and from there (with the help of head-fi) my music tastes branched out in several directions. But it was because of Rhapsody that I started listening to music per artist and per music genre (before that I just listened to whatever I heard on the radio and liked), and started discovering a lot of great new music.

Mar 3, 2007 at 8:05 AM Post #3 of 68
It would have to be either Dido's "Here With Me" or Sarah Slean's "Sweet Ones" that made me search out for female vocalists, singer/songwriters. That which made me search for nearly 80+ different female artists ranging from various vocal stylings, and genres; a lot of which covers nearly 85% of my CD collection

Mar 3, 2007 at 8:15 AM Post #4 of 68
I didn't think music could be an 'experience' until I heard Yes for the first time. "Close to the Edge" specifically.

I didn't think it could be a spiritual experience until I heard "A Love Supreme" by John Coltrane.

I didn't think it could be a religious experience until I heard "Composition No. 162 - Trillium R - Opera in Four Acts" by Anthony Braxton.

Mar 3, 2007 at 8:53 AM Post #5 of 68
The live recording of Rush's song "YYZ" that features Neil Peart's drum solo was solely responsible for causing my addiction to Rush a few years ago... and it's still a strong addiction hehe. So far I've purchased 19 Rush albums: all the studio albums and even one twice! I guess this also pretty much started me on the path that I am taking currently; it seems as though all the music I listen to and like now has somehow been influenced from Rush (it's kind of a strecth but maybe you get what I mean).

Also, Rhapsody's song "Emerald Sword" completely introduced me to the world of what I call Neo-Classical Metal and intrusmental metal. This has lead to me discovering artists such as Dragonforce, Rhapsody, Dream Theater, Liquid Tension Experiment, Warmen, Yngwie Malmsteen, Nightwish, and more. So far I've purchased all 3 of Dragonforce's albums, two of Rhapsody's albums, one Malmsteen, and two of Dream Theater's albums. This is easily in my top three genres, and sometimes it seems like it's me favorite.

I can't really recall any other life-changing songs for the other genres that I listen too such as jazz, classical, IDM, and others. I guess I have been listening to jazz and classical for almost as long as I can remember so that makes it hard to single anything out. If I had to guess I'd say for jazz it was Miles Davis and Maynard Ferguson since I play(ed) trumpet throughout school. And for IDM/electronic I supposed it might have been Aphex Twin's "Girl/Boy Song". Other than that I can recall listening to Mozart when I was quite a bit younger as well (maybe around 12 years old), so I guess I like music that has classical influences.

Mar 3, 2007 at 12:18 PM Post #7 of 68
First year in vocational school my buddy told me the best chance to grab some boobs is in rock concert so off we went. Turned out most people there with hair reaching their waist were men, not girls. However, it was the first time I heard Black Sabbath's "Paranoid" played by a Thai band called "Zexx" or something. Boy, I was dazed by what the guitarist achieved with just two fingers on his left hand. After that night, all things with no "power chord" just don't cut it.

Mar 3, 2007 at 1:00 PM Post #8 of 68
I was 17 years old and just out of high school. I had a Chevy Chevette (aka Shove-it). The car had belonged to my grandfather and it had an AM radio.

I scrounged, then dumped about $700 into an Alpine Head Unit, an alpine amp with a seven-band EQ, and Alpine speakers front and rear.

I popped in AC/DC's Back in Black. I listened to Hells Bells, and I was unimpressed. I knew nothing about how to adjust an EQ. I kept fooling with it, and then all of a sudden it was all there. Euphoric.

20 years later, Hells Bells is still the one track that I use as a "reference". And when I can get whatever system I'm listening to adjusted just right, I get that same euphoric sound that got me started.

biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2007 at 1:02 PM Post #9 of 68
Metallica for me also.... no specific song...but a specific album.. the black one. was listening to alot of rap before that.

since i listened to the black album...the next 2 years was purely listening to metallica only for me. not even radio...i was oblivious to any new chart topping songs. its like music outside of metallica didnt exist for me

anyway....that was 17 years ago.. and up til today, metal is still my main genre. other genres i listen to (there aint much of other genres in the first place) would still have some dark influence to it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 3, 2007 at 1:08 PM Post #10 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by mADmAN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...i was oblivious to any new chart topping songs. its like music outside of metallica didnt exist for me

I went through a stage like that. Kill 'em All, RTL, Master and Justice were all that I listened to for a couple of years. Now, RTL is my favorite Metallica album. "Fade to Black" is one of my top ten favorite songs.

Mar 3, 2007 at 1:23 PM Post #11 of 68
1967...13 years old...heard The Doors Light My Fire on the radio...it was like being thrown into a deep dark river - got lost in the sound.

From then on everything changed for me, musically speaking.

Then, a couple of years later, Sibelius' Fifth Symphony effected the same revelation. And finally Pharoah Sanders' Let Us Go Into the House of The Lord

Pivotal moments all.

Mar 3, 2007 at 1:48 PM Post #12 of 68
I guess a younger voice should speak up here.

The year is 2001. All I normally listen to is Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Staind, etc... I hardly owned any CDs; I used the radio for most of my musical needs. Then came this song unlike any I had heard before. The song was Idioteque by Radiohead. The very next day I borrowed/stole my sister's copy of Kid A (she hated it anyway). On the first listen I was like
confused.gif
. The second was like
eek.gif
. The third was
icon10.gif
. It was a real experience that changed how I listen to music. It also made me put more weight into my friends musical recommendations. Now Radiohead, Tool, The Mars Volta, NIN, Dream Theater, and many, many, many others populate my CD shelves, all thanks to that one song. I shudder to think how long I went without listening to any of these bands.

Mar 3, 2007 at 1:48 PM Post #13 of 68
When I was in high school I was listening mostly to rap music until one day I was looking in the "What's your top 5 songs" topic and found out about Tool.
The person had Eulogy and Schism on his top 5. I downloaded the songs the same night and loved them so much the next day I ended up buying Lateralus (the best CD I've ever bought). I think it was 2 years ago. I finally ended up buying all of their album and right now I'm bidding on the vinyl on eBay.

Since this time I've listened mostly to Metal.
580smile.gif

Mar 3, 2007 at 3:35 PM Post #14 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What was yours? (any genre)

The most recent song was in 1979 with "Morning Dance", by Spyro Gyra
playing on radio station KBLX in Berkeley, CA.

That song turned me on to Jazz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back