The OLD SKOOL RAP thread...
Aug 29, 2006 at 8:17 AM Post #16 of 33
i remember that i and my friends were so into rap when we were in high school.. my friend actually worked at a record company and we had to help promoting new rappers.. like Pharcyde and so on.. some became a little bit famous, got arrested for felony, and ended their career
tongue.gif
and some didnt make it at all.. anyways, my all time favorites are/were..

warren G w/ LBC, nate dogg, 2pac, BIG w/ junior mafia, bone thugs n' harmony, easy-e

older ones:
paper boy, naughty by nature, kriss kross, and mc hammer
cool.gif

cant really come up with anyone nowadays..

E40 was at a club in LA about 2 weeks ago

Aug 29, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #17 of 33
I tend to prefer the (relatively speaking) new stuff over the old school hiphop. For me Rakim is kind of like Chuck Berry, I recognize his influence on everyone that comes after, but I don't enjoy his music nearly as much as that of his followers.

Old school is a bit too pure to the artform for me. Lots of non-melodic sampling, record scratching, monotone flows, limited subject matter, etc. Nice if you like that style... I'd rather listen to The Chronic or something.

Aug 29, 2006 at 9:00 PM Post #18 of 33
Listen to "Tougher than Leather" by Run D.M.C.
This album is the first nod towards the "Funky Drummer" riffs that dominated the late 80's/early 90's via Public Enemy, etc. if all you've ever heard is "Walk this Way" I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by this album. Jam Master Jay really was an artist putting all of this together. I also like the Dust Brothers' work on "Paul's Boutique" by the Beastie Boys. Both of these albums were ahead of their time, and so to newer ears will sound the most contemporary of the "Old School" albums.

Aug 29, 2006 at 11:21 PM Post #19 of 33
No, they're a West Coast underground LA group. A little bio of them on Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Living_Legends. I'd recommend looking on Itunes for their music since it has alot more samples than Amazon. If you like it, then check out some of the members side projects like; The Grouch, Murs, and Eligh. All really good stuff. Quote:

Originally Posted by bonethugz
as living legends, did you mean 8ball and mjg?

Aug 30, 2006 at 5:52 AM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by the Jackal
No, they're a West Coast underground LA group. A little bio of them on Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Living_Legends. I'd recommend looking on Itunes for their music since it has alot more samples than Amazon. If you like it, then check out some of the members side projects like; The Grouch, Murs, and Eligh. All really good stuff.

right, you're right. i just comfused when living legends and almost famos came together. not sure if you know but, 8ball and mjg had a record named living legends and 8ball himself had an album named almost famous

Aug 30, 2006 at 6:06 AM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by cantsleep
i remember that i and my friends were so into rap when we were in high school.. my friend actually worked at a record company and we had to help promoting new rappers.. like Pharcyde and so on.. some became a little bit famous, got arrested for felony, and ended their career
tongue.gif
and some didnt make it at all.. anyways, my all time favorites are/were..

warren G w/ LBC, nate dogg, 2pac, BIG w/ junior mafia, bone thugs n' harmony, easy-e

older ones:
paper boy, naughty by nature, kriss kross, and mc hammer
cool.gif

cant really come up with anyone nowadays..

E40 was at a club in LA about 2 weeks ago

yeah BONE THUGZ N HARMONY! they've been here for so long and they sold so many records. nobody really seems to tell they're good or even half decent.

ok anyway, nowadays? if you want stuff like old times, you just not going to get it. i don't know. times changed? people changed? maybe you're, i am(29), we are "old"?

Aug 31, 2006 at 7:17 AM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by the Jackal

Del (Kool Keith) - Deltron 3030

i think it was Dan the Automator (and not Kool Keith) who was in this one with Del tha Funky Homosapien. DtA collaborated with Kool Keith in the Dr Octagon project.

bonethugz, if it makes you feel any better, i'm also 29 and totally missed out on all the good stuff during the 'golden age' of early 90s hip-hop because of the unholy trinity of Marky Mark, Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer
redface.gif

I'll keep my list to 12:

EPMD
Run DMC
Non-Phixion
Mobb Deep (remember when they tried to pass off Sick Of It All's dragon logo as their own?)
Big Daddy Kane
Immortal Technique
Jedi Mind Tricks
Beastie Boys (esp. Paul's Boutique)
Cage
NWA
Public Enemy
Wu-Tang (+ solo projects)

Aug 31, 2006 at 11:19 AM Post #23 of 33
EVeryone needs to pick up Ego Trips Book of Rap Lists for an education on hip hop. Im almost 30 years old so Ive been listening to it since I was little kid. Old school to me is Grandmaster Flash, Run-DMC, LL-Cool J. 1977-1987. 1988-1998 I consider the Golden Age of Hip Hop. Pete Rock, Wu-Tang, Gangstarr, Biggie, Tupac, Dr. Dre. 1999- Present Day kind of disappointed.

I almost choke on my Diet Coke when Hot 97 plays the old school at noon and Onyx is on. What?

Sep 1, 2006 at 7:57 AM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by bundee1
1988-1998 I consider the Golden Age of Hip Hop. Pete Rock, Wu-Tang, Gangstarr, Biggie, Tupac, Dr. Dre. 1999- Present Day kind of disappointed.

back then, gangster rap really sounded like real GANGSTER rap but, nowadays, gangster rap.. wait a min.. there is no gangster rap nowadays..
redface.gif

i always thought that i could meet(just seeing) those rapper anytime i wanted(when my friend used to work at a record company; he said that a lot of rappers just come and chill for a while unless they have things to do..) so i cared less about going to studio to meet them in person.. now that they are all dead, i kind of think that i should have gone and meet them in person just to see how they are really alike in person.. i heard that even though Tupac and several other gangster rappers seemed rather rough and aggressive in media, they were nice people when you actually see him in person.. but you never know what they really are like out in streets..

Sep 1, 2006 at 11:53 AM Post #25 of 33
If you like MF DOOM now and maybe know MF GRIMM you might like their former group with the brother of DOOM. The name is KMD pretty hard to find actualy, i just got myself the Black person album wich is the newest of the bunch, this **** is pretty nice.

If not you might consider :

-Grand Master Caz
-Afrika Bambata
-Big Daddy Kane
-Marley Marl
-Eric B and Rakim (now that's da bomb)
-Ultramagnetic Mc's

And a lot more stuff. Just go to a music shop and ask to listen to old school stuff maybe some of the stuff will please you (definatly listen to Eric B & Rakim)

And for recent bombs, there is a lot of great talent nowadays, my favorite have to be MF DOOM, but lot of them new kids rock, for DJing look for RJD2 - Dead Ringer, Radiq - Graffiti & Rude Boy 67 (****top music) and if you want some new stuff mixed up with an old school flavor try Edan - Bauty and the beat, now that's music!

Oh and about Slim Shady sure he is a **** head, but if you find his first freestyle you might understand why he got big at first.

Sep 4, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #26 of 33
Old School Kings:
BDP
ATCQ
Big Daddy Kane
Kool G Rap
Rakim
Beastie Boys
Wu-Tang Clan
Slick Rick
Jay-Z
NWA (All of them)
Scarface
UGK
Mobb Deep
Nas
Biggie
Tupac
De La Soul
Common (like 96 with Ressurection)
Gangstarr

Newer:
Wordsworth
Talib Kweli
Mos Def
Game
Immortal Technique
Umm... no one else sticks out right now, i listen to alot more old school

Sep 6, 2006 at 1:11 PM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by cantsleep
back then, gangster rap really sounded like real GANGSTER rap but, nowadays, gangster rap.. wait a min.. there is no gangster rap nowadays..
redface.gif

i always thought that i could meet(just seeing) those rapper anytime i wanted(when my friend used to work at a record company; he said that a lot of rappers just come and chill for a while unless they have things to do..) so i cared less about going to studio to meet them in person.. now that they are all dead, i kind of think that i should have gone and meet them in person just to see how they are really alike in person.. i heard that even though Tupac and several other gangster rappers seemed rather rough and aggressive in media, they were nice people when you actually see him in person.. but you never know what they really are like out in streets..

i think spice 1 had an album couple years ago. and yea gangster rap dead long time ago.

maybe i was never a rap fan, true rap fan but i think i did grew up with hip hop. i don't remember me to like gangster rap when i was, 10 12 years old. i like hammer, kris kross, fresh price and dj jazz jeff, you know more fun kind of rap when i was a kid. then, when bone thugz n harmony(are they really gangster rap? i never really think they are/were) and the notorious big. those guys got me listen more and more rap.
i do listen to rap but mostly in gym when i want something more uptempo

Sep 6, 2006 at 6:47 PM Post #28 of 33
I can't believe nobody has mentioned MC Lyte. One of the smoothest if not the smoothest female rapper ever. She'll put 80% of her male counter parts to shame.

New School only one comes to mind St. Laz

Siebel

Sep 6, 2006 at 6:49 PM Post #29 of 33
Didn't MC Lyte rap on a mix of "Buddy" with DeLaSoul and a Tribe Called Quest? Love that one.

BTW, if you grab the reissue of 3ft.high and rising (De La Soul), you get a bonus 2nd CD that has the remixes and side tracks - and heck if it isn't even better as a whole than the original album!

BTW, life isn't fair. I'm still waiting for an audiophile-level release of Run DMC or the Beastie Boys or Public Enemy, but what do they release?

I Refuse, Sir.

At least they have some Outkast and some Missy E. out on DVD-A.

But who's up for some Chicken & Beer on SACD?

Sep 6, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #30 of 33
Old -
De La Soul - 3 feet High and Rising
Wu Tang -36 Chambers
Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique, Licensed To Ill
A Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory

New -
Atmosphere - You Can't Imagine How Much Fun We're Having
Gym Class Heroes - Papercut Chronicles, As Cruel As School Children
Handsome Boy Modeling School - White People

Just a few i've been playing lately

Users who are viewing this thread