The Okkervil River appreciation thread
Feb 6, 2006 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

saturnine

Headphoneus Supremus
I've recently purchased two Okkervil River albums, Down the River of Golden Dreams & Black Sheep Boy. This is some seriously beautiful emotional music! It's amazing that they aren't more popular, grab one of their albums next time you are out!

Feb 6, 2006 at 5:14 AM Post #2 of 5
Got Black Sheep Boy recently and really like it. Maybe it reminds me of Neutral Milk Hotel, sounds like its already familiar and classic. I'll look forward to hearing more of them and in the meantime, I keep putting this CD in.

Feb 6, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #3 of 5
Yeah, River of Dreams was one of my top 10 in 2003. Really like it. Reminds me a lot of Neutral Milk Hotel. Haven't warmed up to the same level yet for Black Sheep Boy. Just seems so over the top at times and I haven't felt compelled to listen enough to know it well, but definitely some heartwrenching songs.

Head-Fi Best of 2003 Thread

Feb 7, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #4 of 5
oooooh... more Okkervil fans! I played the heck out of "Red" off Don't Fall In Love... If you like Black Sheep, definitely check out the Black Sheep Appendix released late last year. Great stuff!

Jun 19, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #5 of 5
I know this is an old thread, but Okkervil's collaboration with Roky Erikson is incredible, you should check it out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back