The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 19, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #9,256 of 11,341
Damn these Z1Rs are growing on me...was about to put them up for sale, as overall, I preferred the XC, or at least I thought I did.  Today, working around the house using my short D600 cable and being fed by an iphone 5 strapped to the HA-2 in my pocket....just so musical and painless (on the neck)....

Apr 19, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #9,257 of 11,341
  So if I love the Z1R then the 1000x is a no brainier portable solution for noisy environments such as planes? Anything else I should consider?

The 1000X is quite nice, and if you need ANC apparently it is the best of the bunch now. I really like the sound signature once I add my little bass. Without a modest bass boost they are a little bass shy for my preference, but they responded nicely to the EQ in Onkyo HF Player. I also use Neutron which provides nice EQing ability.

Apr 19, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #9,258 of 11,341
  Damn these Z1Rs are growing on me...was about to put them up for sale, as overall, I preferred the XC, or at least I thought I did.  Today, working around the house using my short D600 cable and being fed by an iphone 5 strapped to the HA-2 in my pocket....just so musical and painless (on the neck)....

Sometimes seduction takes time, but is all the sweeter for it.

Apr 19, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #9,260 of 11,341
  God help my wallet!

God help my wallet....it looks like I am enjoying the decreased treble hotness that the XC has(and I do enjoy)....my fickle brain!

If I read correctly, you are saying the XC is the headphone with the hotness and the Z1R doesn't as much.

Apr 19, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #9,263 of 11,341
The 1000X is quite nice, and if you need ANC apparently it is the best of the bunch now. I really like the sound signature once I add my little bass. Without a modest bass boost they are a little bass shy for my preference, but they responded nicely to the EQ in Onkyo HF Player. I also use Neutron which provides nice EQing ability.

I think the mdr 1000 has the same type of sound as the z1r , lush and musical, I personally didn't think it's bass shy.
Of course soundstage, detail etc are not up to the z1r but it's clear the are both made from the same company to my ears

Apr 19, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #9,264 of 11,341
I think the mdr 1000 has the same type of sound as the z1r , lush and musical, I personally didn't think it's bass shy.
Of course soundstage, detail etc are not up to the z1r but it's clear the are both made from the same company to my ears

We will have to agree to disagree mate (although this is of course subjective), the 1000X is definitely a little bass shy to me. I have recently owned in Bluetooth portables the WS99BT, H7, P7, Divine, H500BT and the 1000X would have the least amount of bass compared to them all, maybe equal to the Divine, but compared to the other four quite a bit less bass.

Edit: on the plus side the bass is fast and fairly clean sounding although it measures with a fair amount of distortion in the bass if I remember correctly

Apr 19, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #9,265 of 11,341
We will have to agree to disagree mate (although this is of course subjective), the 1000X is definitely a little bass shy to me. I have recently owned in Bluetooth portables the WS99BT, H7, P7, Divine, H500BT and the 1000X would have the least amount of bass compared to them all, maybe equal to the Divine, but compared to the other four quite a bit less bass.

I thought it's bass quantity was similar to the z1r maybe 10% less. Could the source make a difference do you think? LDAC?

Apr 19, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #9,266 of 11,341
I thought it's bass quantity was similar to the z1r maybe 10% less. Could the source make a difference do you think? LDAC?

I wouldn't think it could make that kind of difference. I'm going to post a series of images of measurements made of the 1000X. Here is the first one, for distortion. To me it actually isn't that bad looking (well it does seem to be bad around the 2K spike) and it certainly sounds nice. I notice the worst distortion measures where we are less sensitive plus, as an absolute amount of distortion I actually don't think it will be that consequential unless you have songs with fairly low bass frequencies at amplitudes that are relatively high in the mix. The D2 is also elevated distortion wise in a few bad places, but again, as an absolute amount I'm not sure how consequential it is?

Sony%252520MDR-1000X%252520-%252520thdl.png

Actually, here is the link as there are many measurements so easier to post the link. https://clarityfidelity.blogspot.ca/2016/10/sony-mdr-1000x-bt-nc-over-ear-headphones.html

Apr 19, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #9,268 of 11,341
The z1r destroys the 1000x in everything other then bluetooth and portability. Dont even get me started on build quality.. Even my fake z1r is built better then the 1000x LOL

Yes that's obvious nobody claimed otherwise.
I am just stating I was impressed at how good it sounded for a NC 350€ phone and how similar the SS is.
Other than that no comparison.

Apr 19, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #9,269 of 11,341
I wouldn't think it could make that kind of difference. I'm going to post a series of images of measurements made of the 1000X. Here is the first one, for distortion. To me it actually isn't that bad looking (well it does seem to be bad around the 2K spike) and it certainly sounds nice. I notice the worst distortion measures where we are less sensitive plus, as an absolute amount of distortion I actually don't think it will be that consequential unless you have songs with fairly low bass frequencies at amplitudes that are relatively high in the mix. The D2 is also elevated distortion wise in a few bad places, but again, as an absolute amount I'm not sure how consequential it is?

Sony%252520MDR-1000X%252520-%252520thdl.png

Actually, here is the link as there are many measurements so easier to post the link. https://clarityfidelity.blogspot.ca/2016/10/sony-mdr-1000x-bt-nc-over-ear-headphones.html

SD the more I think about is the more I think LDAC transmitting higher res files could lead to a fuller sound

Apr 19, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #9,270 of 11,341
The z1r destroys the 1000x in everything other then bluetooth and portability. Dont even get me started on build quality.. Even my fake z1r is built better then the 1000x LOL

A real (not alt real) Z1R is $2300 retail
A real (not alt real) 1000x is $350 retail.

I sure as hell hope the Z1R is better. That's a $1950 retail difference and I don't think the box is worth enough to make the up the difference.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back