The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 22, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #8,551 of 11,341
Anyone tried the Audeze Leather Care Kit? Looks like it should be good and has no horrible chemicals in it so I don't see why it would be a problem but would be interesting to hear if anyone has tried it. Would probably also be using it on my Ether Flows.

Mar 22, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #8,552 of 11,341
ok guys...need your help, kindly

i just got some Focal Alpha 50 near field monitors i'm using for my desktop gig (on stands)
Leave it to the French to kick the sound of desktop/computer speakers up a notch
https://www.cnet.com/news/leave-it-to-the-french-to-kick-the-sound-of-desktopcomputer-speakers-up-a-notch/

Just loving that live sound out in front of me from speakers once again
consequently i am also considering going higher to get the more refined CMS65 (used US 1300 pair mint condition)
and yet i'm also itching to try these sonys.......but i know both speakers and cans are 2 diff sound sigs.

i do have the senn 650s and flc 8s iems ...also shortly getting in the Aurisonics 1-plus iems, too.

so to those who have speakers and a nice rig and also these sony z1rs, is it worth it going for both?
(of course i'm sure it is...but ..)
i also want to upgrade to the hugo2 dac, then look at a nice 2.1 for the living room.

decisions, decisions....but also a limited budget....guess there is little vacation for me this yr: staycation....luckily i'm on the west coast.

Hi. At home, I much prefer listening via loudspeakers. After going through a series of hi-fi speakers (Harbeth, Bluenote, Wilson Audio), I found that vintage RCA LC1As using 15" drivers really hit the sweet spot vs. all the supposedly super advanced audiophile gear.

Can't really compare Z1Rs with the speakers, they have their own strengths and purposes. I got the Z1Rs to use predominantly in my office, and after recabling with Wireworld (using with Ayre Codex), I'm pleasantly surprised about the openness of the soundscape and airiness I'm getting through these closed cans. 

Though I generally prefer listening through loudspeakers, I'm becoming more enamored about the musical details I can discover in my privacy through headphone listening, and the way this mode of listening opens up insights/emotions is different, but no less valid than via loudspeakers. 

So I hate to tell ya: you need both! :wink:

Mar 22, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #8,553 of 11,341
  Hi. At home, I much prefer listening via loudspeakers. After going through a series of hi-fi speakers (Harbeth, Bluenote, Wilson Audio), I found that vintage RCA LC1As using 15" drivers really hit the sweet spot vs. all the supposedly super advanced audiophile gear.

Can't really compare Z1Rs with the speakers, they have their own strengths and purposes. I got the Z1Rs to use predominantly in my office, and after recabling with Wireworld (using with Ayre Codex), I'm pleasantly surprised about the openness of the soundscape and airiness I'm getting through these closed cans. 

Though I generally prefer listening through loudspeakers, I'm becoming more enamored about the musical details I can discover in my privacy through headphone listening, and the way this mode of listening opens up insights/emotions is different, but no less valid than via loudspeakers. 

Actually, I would want both types of set ups too. Imagine a glass of whiskey in my hand while soft jazz plays through the quality speakers, with soft lights. That's life....
But I gotta think of my wife, who prefers more hip hop kinda music, which isn't really my taste to be honest... lol
Hence close back is my only choice.  

Mar 22, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #8,554 of 11,341
So there's this itch I need to scratch but I can't seem to make up my mind. I already own the Fostex TH900's which I absolutely love, but after 4 years I'd like to expand my horizon with a new set of headphones. Should I go for the new Sony's or is it too much the same sound? Would it be wiser to complement the TH900's with something more different like a HD800s or Ether Flow (C). I really don't want to sell the TH900's, I'm too loyal, they are after all my first true love :p

Mar 22, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #8,555 of 11,341

In my opinion the sound quality achieved with the Z1R needs a multiple budget to be matched by speakers

Mar 22, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #8,556 of 11,341
Amazon UK has open box z1r
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01LD5GO7I/ref=pd_gwm_psimh_0?pf_rd_p=de8effd6-3a25-4e43-82ba-7b5108b051cd&pf_rd_s=blackjack-personal-1&pf_rd_t=Gateway&pf_rd_i=mobile&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=Q7EEP47WWJJBNWEKXRNK&pf_rd_r=Q7EEP47WWJJBNWEKXRNK&pf_rd_p=de8effd6-3a25-4e43-82ba-7b5108b051cd

Mar 22, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #8,557 of 11,341
In my opinion the sound quality achieved with the Z1R needs a multiple budget to be matched by speakers

As with anything related to sonic preference, what "sound quality" means is so subjective. Z1Rs pack a wallop but can't quite match the impact and drama a couple of 15-inch drivers can deliver in a good room, let's say, on a Mahler 2. But given that closed cans are not room-dependent, Z1Rs are much more reliable in terms of rendering a more detailed sonic landscape of that same music.

Quite different, I think. It's like comparing a big-canvas Caravaggio with a Vermeer or a Memling. 

Mar 22, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #8,558 of 11,341
Have to agree that speaker listening and headphone listening are rather different experiences in my opinion, both have strengths and weaknesses. There is no way I could ever not have both available to me. To the OP looking at getting even better near-field monitors, but at the expense of missing out on the Z1R, that is a tough call. If you truly feel the majority or most enjoyable listening time that you spend is with speakers, invest more heavily there I say. However, if you really do enjoy headphones and the speakers you currently have are pleasing you, I say step up to the Z1R and return it if it really doesn't make enough of a difference.

Mar 22, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #8,559 of 11,341
So there's this itch I need to scratch but I can't seem to make up my mind. I already own the Fostex TH900's which I absolutely love, but after 4 years I'd like to expand my horizon with a new set of headphones. Should I go for the new Sony's or is it too much the same sound? Would it be wiser to complement the TH900's with something more different like a HD800s or Ether Flow (C). I really don't want to sell the TH900's, I'm too loyal, they after all my first true love :p

Oh, they're quite different. Then again, the HD800 is even more different. :wink:

Mar 22, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #8,560 of 11,341
  So there's this itch I need to scratch but I can't seem to make up my mind. I already own the Fostex TH900's which I absolutely love, but after 4 years I'd like to expand my horizon with a new set of headphones. Should I go for the new Sony's or is it too much the same sound? Would it be wiser to complement the TH900's with something more different like a HD800s or Ether Flow (C). I really don't want to sell the TH900's, I'm too loyal, they are after all my first true love :p

Get the Z1R, it is indeed different enough. Sell the TH900, loyalty is for relationships, headphones are just devices. If you hold onto it too long and down the road you want to sell it, you may get a very low price. That said, if you don't really care and can afford to, keep the TH900 and add the Z1R into the mix.

Mar 22, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #8,562 of 11,341
Hi I own the Sony MDRZ1R is there an owners club for impressions.

You're posting in it.. Welcome to the inner-circle! 
biggrin.gif

Mar 22, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #8,563 of 11,341
Hi I own the Sony MDRZ1R is there an owners club for impressions.

Welcome, and yes, the more impressions the better so please let us know what your experience with the Z1R has been like so far.

Mar 22, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #8,564 of 11,341
It would be an understatement to say that the Z1R is good just with a decent amp.

In fact, as i send my TA-ZH1ES for servicing due to some really poor QC resulting in konwky Lcd display, 

The Z1R performs so good even by just connecting directly to the Note 5 that i guess this is some sort of consolation while waiting for the Amp to return. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back