The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 18, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #8,476 of 11,341
How much is the Axios? Over a $1,000? Fine if you have the means but I rather spend that on upgrading an amp or another headphone. I just find the cable upgrade market a sort of rabbit hole but I know people hate to have this debate. It's not that I disbelieve that better cables make better sound it's just about value to performance ratio.

Mar 18, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #8,477 of 11,341
How much is the Axios? Over a $1,000? Fine if you have the means but I rather spend that on upgrading an amp or another headphone. I just find the cable upgrade market a sort of rabbit hole but I know people hate to have this debate. It's not that I disbelieve that better cables make better sound it's just about value to performance ratio.

You re obviously right LaCuffia but at the same time is one finds a headphone with a rare combination of sound attributes like the Sony it's also logical to want to stick with it and upgrade the sound even if it's a 5% increment

Mar 18, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #8,479 of 11,341
I am feeling for some retro:

Shinjuku Minatomachi" (新宿・みなと町 Shinjuku, Port Town) 1979:
Genre: Japanese Enka. 

I feel like an old man 
beyersmile.png

Perhaps this song will bring back some memories for those who were sailors/ visitors to Japan during that period. 

Mar 18, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #8,480 of 11,341
Question - any of you transporting the Z1Rs to-and-from your home/office to wherever? If so, what bag would fit/protect them well enough? I've been using these exclusively in my office but want to take them home over the weekend to try them on my Leben amp.

I picked this one up on Amazon.de. I believe they sell it in other countries too. Simple but does the job.

Mar 18, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #8,481 of 11,341
Sorry here is the link

https://www.amazon.de/DuraGadget-Hartschalen-Etui-Transport-großen-Kopfhörern/dp/B01L28S54G/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1489859691&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=Duragadgt+eva+hartschalen

Mar 18, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #8,482 of 11,341
Axios is ~$750

Mar 18, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #8,484 of 11,341
That's still much more than I would ever pay for a cable but to each his own. I wanted an open back headphone to compliment the Z1R and got the Beyerdynamic DT1990 for much less than the cable price. Great headphone and solidly built.

Mar 18, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #8,486 of 11,341
For those that have the TA amp, how loud do you usually listen to the Z1R?
I tend to listen at -30db at low gain.
I don't know where that is in % to the amps max.
To the Z1R, I usually listen around - 28 to -35db. - 30 is 70% of the max volume.

Mar 18, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #8,488 of 11,341
I had the TA for a brief time and low gain was too weak at least for the unbalanced outputs. High gain sounded so much better. And I have good hearing and don't listen to music at high volumes.

With the balanced output I found that high gain was too much for the Z1R. Hard to describe, but everything seemed overdone, like an over-saturated photograph if that makes any sense. They sounded much better on low gain, cleaner, better instrument separation etc.

Totally different story with the HD800S and HE1000v2s though, they have to be on high gain to get the best out of them.

Mar 18, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #8,489 of 11,341
With the balanced output I found that high gain was too much for the Z1R. Hard to describe, but everything seemed overdone, like an over-saturated photograph if that makes any sense. They sounded much better on low gain, cleaner, better instrument separation etc.

Totally different story with the HD800S and HE1000v2s though, they have to be on high gain to get the best out of them.
i have a totally different set up, but i also feel they don't like being 'overdriven', i run rca interconnects between my cd player and my analogue headphone amp and have had to use inline attenuators to give me much more control over the volume range and gives a much easier sound, but still i back off the volume and the sound becomes a cohesive whole, more 3 dimensional with more space and direction of instruments, earlier this morning i had Ornette Coleman on and all of a sudden i could hear the horn player turn from the mike then back facing it, i like to think he turned and caught eye contact with another band member, then realised he'd turned away from the mike. If i use more volume, it doesn't distort, it just hardens and becomes less enjoyable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back