The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 11, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #6,751 of 11,341
You are from Canada. Listening to Rush is part of the statutory code. Like Springsteen in New Jersey where I live.:grinning:

Signals is my favorite Rush album actually. I don't play drums but I remember watching the Subdivisions video on MTV when I was like 13 years old and air drumming to it.

He's originally from Toronto...home of Rush! We do love our local band!

That said, I love The Boss and the E Street Band too. I own both of their entire studio catalogs!

Feb 11, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #6,753 of 11,341
Really looking forward to that comparison. I use a speaker tap cable I originally had made for an HE560 with all my headphones and frequently toy with the idea of getting an HE-6. I also think that while it isn't discussed as much as Peart's issues with touring, Geddy's voice and ability to sing the older material, even say Moving Pictures, was clearly becoming a problem. I have seen Rush about 10 times myself so I have definitely noticed how much trouble he has holding it together. Nobody stays young forever. Still, one of the most remarkable (if not the most remarkable) career in Rock history.

texting from smartphone so excuse grammar
R40 tour and geddys voice: i'd read that this is also why they never played 2 nights in a row: so Geddy could rest his voice, and that he'd never talk on his day off to rest his throat (am sure peart didn't mind it off too with his aches and tendonitis)..also that they wanted to do "Fly by night" on the R40 tour, but it was too demanding in the high vocals .. they weren't even sure if "lakeside park" would make the setlist.

I heard the audeze lcdx today alongside the hifiman's 560...very briefly however...to me the 560s sounded more dynamic and punchy...Preferred 560s.

Question on Sony Z1R soundstage...Not as closed as most closed cans?

Feb 11, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #6,754 of 11,341
R40 tour and geddys voice: this is also why they never played 2 nights in a row: so Geddy could rest his voice...i read that he'd never talk on his day off to rest his throat (am sure peart didn't mind it off too with his aches and tendonitis)..read that they wanted to do "Fly by night" but it was too demanding .. weren't even sure if "lakeside park" would make the setlist.

I heard the audeze lcdx today alongside the hifiman's 560...Very briefly however...to me the 560s sounded more dynamic and punchy...Preferred 560s.

Question on Sony Z1R soundstage...Not as closed as most closed cans?

The most "open" sounding closed headphone I've come across and better than many open-backed headphones too!

Feb 11, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #6,755 of 11,341
I'd like to further the New Jersey love for our neighbors up north.
Without you we wouldn't have Leonard Cohen, or Gordon Lightfoot.
Both experienced vocal changes later in their careers, and kept at it.
I saw Gordon in New Jersey last year. Can't wait to see him again. Can't say I'll be seeing Leaonard any time soon. Sorry for your loss.
Thanks, to the Great White North!

Feb 11, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #6,756 of 11,341
@macedonianhero - now i know that you're not a fan of the th900 anymore but does the z1r really sound more open to you than it did?

Feb 11, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #6,757 of 11,341
I saw Gordon in New Jersey last year. Can't wait to see him again. Can't say I'll be seeing Leaonard any time soon. Sorry for your loss.

Absolutely love Lightfoot.  Caught him in concert at least 10 times...first in 78 at Massey Hall.  Went to the Opera House dedication (renamed for Gordon) in 99 in Orillia.  Agree with the vocal changes too.  He's still on key.  

Bern

Feb 11, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #6,758 of 11,341
I understand the complaints about the TH-900 problematic mids/ sparkly treble...but I really did not feel the Z1R had a larger soundstage than the TH-900.  The Fostex still has the edge in terms of soundstage and air.  Unless we aren't calling the TH-900 closed anymore.  Separate debate I suppose.

If the Z1R had as big a perceived soundstage as the TH-900 I have my deep suspicions that many would not like the Z1R as much as they do now.  Part of the reason why the Z1R is so great is because it's got body and warmth. The Fostex gives up the mids and its intimacy/ sweetness to achieve its staging. A bit like the HD800 vs T1 situation, where the HD800 sacrificed some in the mids. overall body to really achieve that grand sound.  

Just my 2c.

Feb 11, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #6,759 of 11,341

And Joni Mitchell...and Glenn Gould..And the Tragically hip..And Kim Mitchell...And Brian Adams..
and Blue Rodeo...And Sarah Maclaughlin...And Neil Young...And the Guess Who..and Holly Cole.etc
lol

But hey we Canucks also embrace our both our southern cousins and those across the pond
with equal affection for all the great music they've also brought our way.
beerchug.gif

Feb 11, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #6,760 of 11,341
the th900 is a closed-back can alright, but it's vented and provides little in the way of isolation from outside noise. i imagine that the z1r does a much better job of that.

Feb 12, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #6,762 of 11,341
@macedonianhero - now i know that you're not a fan of the th900 anymore but does the z1r really sound more open to you than it did?

The TH900s have a lot of great qualities and sound staging is one of them. But the Z1Rs have improved on this...I was shocked when I heard them at RMAF. I literally heard them 4 or 5 times over that weekend because I was so impressed.

Feb 12, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #6,764 of 11,341
  Any thoughts on how these compare to the closed-back Ethers?  Reading all these positive reviews..my interest is piqued!

The Ether C Flows are great closed-back headphones too...I really enjoyed them too! That said, I bought the Z1R.

Feb 12, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #6,765 of 11,341
The TH900s have a lot of great qualities and sound staging is one of them. But the Z1Rs have improved on this...I was shocked when I heard them at RMAF. I literally heard them 4 or 5 times over that weekend because I was so impressed.

i look forward to comparing them if a z1r ever becomes available for audition here :frowning2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back