The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 23, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #5,568 of 11,341
Did it run away from you? Or did it jump on a train and you missed it?

Kidding of course :smirk:

It actually grew wings and flew away...

Jan 23, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #5,570 of 11,341
  The big boys league?

Those look nice together/ How do you rank them. curious i am
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 23, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #5,571 of 11,341
Having heard the Z1R during my vacation in Thailand, I was really impressed for its bass and soundstage while maintaining high level of details and transparency. Now that my 800S are sold. I'm very excited to jump on this ship :grin:
You'll be happy you took the leap! :thumbsup_tone1:

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jan 24, 2017 at 1:06 AM Post #5,572 of 11,341
Sorry man, that was me.  Totally wasn't expecting to find one for sale, but there it was....   

Really excited to hear how these will sound as all of your descriptions have convinced me these are my end-game for many years to come.  Then of course one needs the end-game complementary headphone.........

Quote:
Almost had a z1r today, but just missed it. Now I want one more than ever... 
L3000.gif

Jan 24, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #5,573 of 11,341

Ya win some, ya lose some...

But if you happen to change your mind and decide to part with them, holla!

Jan 24, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #5,574 of 11,341
That would be interesting if that happened.....bigly news indeed

I was very close to just purchasing new from Amazon(US) as they are available in stock from a 3rd party seller, but can't tell whether that seller is Sony authorized. 

Quote:
Ya win some, ya lose some...

But if you happen to change your mind and decide to part with them, holla!

Jan 24, 2017 at 6:03 AM Post #5,576 of 11,341

For one, you're getting infinitely better comfort with the Z1R.
That's worth a lot to me, personally.
No matter how good Audeze products proclaim to be, they really need to do something about the ergonomics, let alone QC.

I'm not exactly sure what happened with the LCD-4. 
Not to bash them, but personally I found them one of the biggest disappointments in terms of price to performance. Not saying they're a bad headphone, but very far from being reference material.

Clearly a lot of people mirror my sentiments, as I've seen a large amount of them float around in the classifieds without getting picked up. While nearly every Utopia, HD800S, Ether Flows, etc. get picked up fairly quickly.
The sole exception would be the HE-1000, but that's a different scenario altogether.

It's amazing how there is such a difference in what we hear between humans, and then of course, what we like to hear. This is partly what enables so many headphones with different sounds to sell, or for us addicts to even collect them so we can choose the tone we want depending on our mood or what we are listening to. I personally don't believe there is something called reference. And if there was it would probably sound rather unpleasant.

I have an HD800, LCD-3, LCD-4 for headphones.

To me the LCD-4 builds favourably onto the LCD-3. The bass has less slam but extends between with greater texture/detail. The soundstage is significantly enhanced and avoids this congestion that occurs with the LCD-3 when the music gets busy. It has the same "signature" sweet mid-range that brings vocals to life although I will accept it is slightly less forward than the LCD-3 here. And the treble is more detailed and slightly more present without sounding over bearing or pushed.

My least favourite high-end headphone of all time is the Grado PS1000. It makes me feel pain, literally, as the treble is so forwards. I have sensitivity to too much treble where others do not. This is where the personal aspect comes in. Too much treble, and even if the rest is well balanced, detailed, extended and wonderful, it will  be ruined for me if all I can focus on is the treble. So a darker headphone suits me better.

I had the HD800 for music when I found the LCD-3 congested. It maintained the soundstage and distinctivity of each musical instrument such as a full orchestra. But it lacks other things the LCD-3 does so well. I found the LCD-4 merged some of the properties of both headphones. I will be looking to sell my LCD-3 and HD800 soon.

I haven't heard the Utopia as it is always sold out here in the UK. I am very interested in the Sony and toying with the idea of picking a pair up after I sell my gear. I think it's sound will also please me. Flat frequency graphs are wrong for headphones anyway. I think the DAP, source should be flat, and the headphone then is tailored to your mood, sonic preference. Forget the idea of  "reference". Think of it more as your favourite food you like to eat and how you like to eat it.

Jan 24, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #5,577 of 11,341
Try El Macho from Sailing To Philadelphia.

Thanks for the recommendation. This album I didn't have. Got today. It has some nice bass lines. Like the Z1R was made for such kind of music.

Jan 24, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #5,578 of 11,341
Thanks for the recommendation. This album I didn't have. Got today. It has some nice bass lines. Like the Z1R was made for such kind of music.

Yes it is excellent, and another solid album is Steely Dan - Two Against Nature. Well recorded and at least 4 very good songs. See if you can preview it somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back