The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 12, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #4,788 of 11,341
Ducks and runs for cover ....

Jan 12, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #4,789 of 11,341
How many people here have heard the Ether C Flow and Z1R? I know I asked before, but that was a few weeks ago so maybe a few others have since had the chance. I was close to getting the C Flow, but couldn't get much information about it, certainly not as compared against the Z1R. Still wonder if anybody has had a good listen to both, or owns both.

Jan 12, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #4,790 of 11,341

Whoa!  The price of the pound took a massive nose dive.  Thanks for the heads up, that's about $500 cheaper than they are on the state's amazon.

Please don't remind me.....

frown.gif

Jan 12, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #4,791 of 11,341
Bravo, having 3 pieces of signature gears here. The TA is the most worthy and should be the first and priority piece
biggrin.gif

Hehe. I couldn't justify all of the lovely ES line-up in my budget, so I picked what I felt would be the creme of the crop, at least for me. I feel I wouldn't have as much use for the Walkman as others might. Glad to hear that the TA is seen as a real standout. It is really wonderful and I'm very happy with mine. :D

Hehe....it's really the only way to summarize what the engineers told me, and I'll be damned if the Z1R isn't just a lil' special. :)  

Cheers and glad to see that my writing connects!

Oh certainly! I always love reading reviews about the Z1Rs and the ES series as a whole; there aren't many out there yet! I love seeing what the engineers were thinking with the whole thing. Thanks a lot for the review! I think these cans will get even more appreciation as time goes on.

Jan 12, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #4,792 of 11,341
  I think these cans will get even more appreciation as time goes on.

I have to say I'm hoping that is true, and based on the feedback (yes I know early hype happens) I feel pretty confident that the Z1R is indeed a standout product. I also agree that paying extra for excellent ergonomics and build quality makes sense and will only help the Z1R age gracefully. Mine arrives sometime tomorrow so getting really excited!

Jan 12, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #4,793 of 11,341

Like Purk, I don't have the HD800S, but I do have the HD800, and I would mirror his comments regarding the soundstage. The HD800 is wider, though the Z1R is deeper, and is still impressively wide, especially for a closed can. I've never once in the hundreds of tracks I've listened to with the Z1R's, ever thought the soundstage wasn't spacious enough. The Z1R's soundstage is also a bit more holographic or three-dimensional, the HD800's in comparison seem a little further back and more horizontally spread, at times almost giving a large auditorium or performance hall esque appeal. Whilst the HD800's expanse and width works incredibly well for certain genre's (classical, acoustic etc), I feel it sometimes takes away from a sense of atmosphere and intimacy with certain other genre's and tracks, as it sometimes makes things just a hint too airy and sparse.

Regarding the midrange, off the top of my head, the HD800's was a tiny bit more forward and present, whilst the Z1R's was a bit warmer and fuller. Whilst they can trade blows with respect to honesty of vocals, to me the Z1R comes out on top more often. There's just a touch more thickness and weight to some of the vocals at times, that make it sound more like the singer is actually present or performing live in club or venue, as oppose to the HD800's sometimes more clinical, studio recording esque portrayal. 

Having said the above, just bare in mind there are so many variables to consider. Equipment, music player, balanced vs single ended etc, which can change sonic presentations ever so slightly. For example, I'm listening to my Z1R's right now out of a new balanced cable I'm testing, and I could swear they sound a bit airer than out of single ended, but it could just be placebo.

In that respect, the above comparison comments are just my overall take-aways based on unscientific general listening and comparisons. I've done more strict comparisons with my T1's over my HD800's, simply because I tend to listen to my T1's more than my HD800's, though I do plan to Superdupont mod my HD800's soon and will re-test once modded.

You may wish to try the T1 balanced too (if you haven't already of course).  I felt that the headphone as a whole got "faster" with better transients in general.  Worth taking a look at especially since the stock cable can handle balanced right out of the box. 

Jan 12, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #4,794 of 11,341
I have to say I'm hoping that is true, and based on the feedback (yes I know early hype happens) I feel pretty confident that the Z1R is indeed a standout product. I also agree that paying extra for excellent ergonomics and build quality makes sense and will only help the Z1R age gracefully. Mine arrives sometime tomorrow so getting really excited!

I'm excited for you.... it's difficult to put into words my thoughts on them, because I don't want it to just sound like hype. But these are the real deal ha. The tuning just hits on so many levels. I did an A/B of them and the Utopia on a liquid Gold and Hugo TT, and even though the Utopia won (my opinion of course) I put on the Z1R and I am completly content.... you best give us your impressions when you get them.

Jan 12, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #4,795 of 11,341
so I picked up a pair of these and overall I do like them but has anyone detected a slight to mildly annoying treble issue? Two factors are a lower treble sibilance and a lack of top end extension? Bass and mids are some of the best I have heard as they are incredibly textured and detailed. 

Jan 12, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #4,796 of 11,341
I'm excited for you.... it's difficult to put into words my thoughts on them, because I don't want it to just sound like hype. But these are the real deal ha. The tuning just hits on so many levels. I did an A/B of them and the Utopia on a liquid Gold and Hugo TT, and even though the Utopia won (my opinion of course) I put on the Z1R and I am completly content.... you best give us your impressions when you get them.

Will do. And while I know they are different headphone signatures, it is indeed good news the Z1R can hang with the Utopia.

Jan 12, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #4,797 of 11,341
  How many people here have heard the Ether C Flow and Z1R? I know I asked before, but that was a few weeks ago so maybe a few others have since had the chance. I was close to getting the C Flow, but couldn't get much information about it, certainly not as compared against the Z1R. Still wonder if anybody has had a good listen to both, or owns both.

I found this listing,
http://www.head-fi.org/t/831437/used-mrspeakers-ether-c-flows

he's trying to sell the C Flow in the end.
I guess that's saying something

Jan 12, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #4,798 of 11,341

does the Z1R has an XLR cable out of the box?
I prefer to drive big headphones in balanced mode

Jan 12, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #4,799 of 11,341
Ok folks, getting excited, the order I placed on Dec 13 with Amazon just processed and tracking is saying I should receive on Tuesday, 1/17/17!!!  I'm joining the Z1R ranks!  Here's to a safe trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back