The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 12, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #4,756 of 11,341

Interesting, I would love to try the Z1R but I'm not even sure if they are available in Canada..

US dealers can ship to Canada currently. I went through an approved US dealer (TSAV) in the end and feel good about the decision and the service I have received. Shipped out the same day I paid so that is a plus.

Jan 12, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #4,757 of 11,341
Hey Sonic.
Yeah, I definitely feel better and decided to sell the Ethers... My impressions still stand and I just find the Z1Rs more fun and engaging. They have become my main headphones now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks.

Awesome, glad to hear that you are able to fully enjoy music again, and that you enjoy the Z1R that much. I'm not surprised at all and fully expect to be equally happy. I'll know at some point tomorrow as UPS is delivering them. Argh, the brokerage fees those bandits charge are astoundingly high, always ask for USPS if you can. I just can't abide the cash grab the brokerage fees are, they must make a killing on them.

Jan 12, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #4,760 of 11,341
  how does the Z1R compare to the HD800S in terms of detail in the midrange and overall soundstage?

I have the HD800 and not the HD800S.  Personally, I think the HD800 has wider soundstage but less depth than the Z1R.  The HD800 that I have has slightly sweeter midrange than the Z1R.  The midrange on the Z1R is warmer tonally than that of the HD800.

Jan 12, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #4,761 of 11,341

I have the HD800 and not the HD800S.  Personally, I think the HD800 has wider soundstage but less depth than the Z1R.  The HD800 that I have has slightly sweeter midrange than the Z1R.  The midrange on the Z1R is warmer tonally than that of the HD800.

Just for clarification, how does sweetness differ from warmth in your mind? Thanks.

Jan 12, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #4,763 of 11,341
I am wondering how this compares to a modded Z7. (say just the tape and foam pad mod, with stock cables)

I will gladly answer this for you :D. Z7 fully modified is still a child to Z1R. Only that stock Z7 is a younger child in comparison to a fully modified Z7 to be a "grown up child". But both is still the child of Z1R stock

Jan 12, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #4,764 of 11,341
I will gladly answer this for you
biggrin.gif
. Z7 fully modified is still a child to Z1R. Only that stock Z7 is a younger child in comparison to a fully modified Z7 to be a "grown up child". But both is still the child of Z1R stock

Could you elaborate? I have a fully modded z7 and was wondering what the actual differences would be. The price jump is substantial considering you can get a used z7 for less than 50% of it's retail price (around $300ish USD). Thanks! 

Jan 12, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #4,765 of 11,341
Could you elaborate? I have a fully modded z7 and was wondering what the actual differences would be. The price jump is substantial considering you can get a used z7 for less than 50% of it's retail price (around $300ish USD). Thanks! 

For examples the soundstage on Z1R is better than modified Z7, the edges is smoother across the board, trebles density is better, and trebles extensions is more laid back but with fuller details and faster speed. Then it is also more closed for better isolations and sound leakages. Most importantly the bass on Z1R is more balanced in the mid bass region

Jan 12, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #4,766 of 11,341
Had the chance to listen to the z1r and compared it to the elear and in all honesty the z1r is not (to me) worth the $1200 more over the elear. male vocals on the z1r didnt have that sense of thickness compared to the elear the bass wasnt as fast as the elear either this was aparant when listening to edm however the bass impact was definitely better on the z1r also female vocals were a bit better on the z1r as well.. I ran them both with a ifi dac connected to my s7 if and when the price does drop on these i might get them.

Jan 12, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #4,769 of 11,341
Hey thanks for telling me about Steven Wilson. I am really digging his solo stuff. Only listened to Porcupine tree (which rules). Will def give this a listen on the Z1R... listening to "my book of regrets" has such good prat. Excited to see how it sounds

no worries man, btw, you may want to give this a try:
http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/album.php?album_id=97&band_id=13&bandname=Opeth

Opeth - Damnation (Prog Rock)
produced by, you know it, Steven Wilson
Opeth is an extreme metal band, the frontman Mikael Akerfeld has great relationship with Steven, both excellent Artist on their own right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back