The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 5, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #4,231 of 11,341
It's true. In many markets it's retail is $2200. In the US market it's $2300. If it's reaching 2.6-2.7 SGD that means their street price is about the same as here in the US now.

I thought $2300 was the MSRP.  What's the MAP on these?  I thought I saw Amazon.com selling them for $2100.

What's funny is on the Sony webpage for these 'phones, when you click "Where to Buy" it only lists "Pre-Order online from Amazon".

Jan 5, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #4,233 of 11,341
  Well, you may be the just like those in 1989 who were equivocating (on the fence about) paying the $2500 for an R10.

Man oh man, i was 3 years old when those suckers came out. I don't think i was much into high end audio at that age lol. 

Jan 5, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #4,234 of 11,341
I never got to hear the R10, probably was a teenager at the time, but I don't want to miss out on the next best Sony offering like the Z1R.  I'm sure I'll get one eventually whether now or later and used or new.  I'm thinking the Z1R will be an excellent complement to my HD 800.       

Were the R10 limited in production numbers whereas something like the Z1R will have many more out there in circulation for people to enjoy even 10 years from now.  

Quote:
  Well, you may be the just like those in 1989 who were equivocating (on the fence about) paying the $2500 for an R10.

Jan 5, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #4,235 of 11,341
Hi, is there any way to prolong the lifespan of z1r leather headband. Seems not user replaceable. Don't think it's a good idea to put leather-protecting product on it, as it direct contact to skin/hair. My other headphone, shure SRH440's headband deteriorate really bad. its synthetic though.

Jan 5, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #4,236 of 11,341
  Man oh man, i was 3 years old when those suckers came out. I don't think i was much into high end audio at that age lol. 

LOL. No piggy bank back then?

By the way, you can buy them new on ebay too with free shipping from Japan and elsewhere. They get to the US quickly and seamlessly with tracking (via EMS).

The Z1R is one headphone that IMHO you can buy w/o auditioning first with confidence.
(Just my opinion, but I don't hear or feel those noticeable possible flaws that could be deal-breakers I always detect in most other headphones that make me pause before recommending buying w/o trying.)

Buying from ebay sellers is pretty much the same as buying from Price Japan for Stax I think. But PJ is gone I think, at least for a while.

Ebay and paypal give you some measure of protection, probably as good as Amazon I'd say. I never had a problem with them over the years.
It probably is preferable to pay the extra hundred dollars or so to get them from an authorized dealer in the US though. I used ebay and it went fine.

Jan 5, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #4,239 of 11,341
  What is up with Z1R US authorized dealer availability? Are these selling like hotcakes? I'm waiting for amazon to get them instock but only a bunch of no warranty sellers are selling them...  

You might check Woo Audio: http://wooaudio.com/headphones/sony/z1r.html

That's where I got mine. And I believe they have them in stock currently. 

Jan 5, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #4,240 of 11,341
  What is up with Z1R US authorized dealer availability? Are these selling like hotcakes? I'm waiting for amazon to get them instock but only a bunch of no warranty sellers are selling them...  

The Source AV?

Jan 5, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #4,244 of 11,341
  HGGHHHH those MSRP prices... My sweet spot is under $2000 because I need the $300 to buy toilet paper. 

Highly doubt you will find it any cheaper with an authorized USA warranty. Maybe in a year if Sony lowers the MSRP. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back