The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 27, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #3,916 of 11,341
Most of us who post here are consumers but it appears that we are being admonished for posting about Amazon UK prices or other prices below authorized dealers. It's ridiculous.

Congrats to a fellow NJ resident on the Z1R purchase. Hope you get it soon.

Yes, i was trying to hear yours, but i just pulled the trigger. Temptations are not my friends lol. 

Dec 27, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #3,917 of 11,341
Yes, i was trying to hear yours, but i just pulled the trigger. Temptations are not my friends lol. 

Come on, you completely lost control over your mouse click, didn't you. Same here btw!

Dec 27, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #3,918 of 11,341
We are all filthy addicts! :wink:

BTW I ordered mine from Amazon UK on the 10th and it is arriving the end of this week so if you ordered the 12th hopefully it will be dispatched soon :D

Dec 27, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #3,919 of 11,341
Come on, you completely lost control over your mouse click, didn't you. Same here btw!

Hahaha, All i seen was dollar signs, And in that case pound signs, my inner demons we're like... Do it! do it you dummy!. My impulsive behavior took over instantly lol

Dec 27, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #3,921 of 11,341
Just ordered mine via Amazon UK... I live in the US, and it came out to $1488 and change, shipped.

Can't wait!

This is my total with express shipping to Nj

rder Summary
Item(s) Subtotal:
£1,149.40

Postage & Packing:
£22.58

Total Before VAT:
£1,171.98

VAT:
£0.00

Total:
£1,171.98

Import Fees Deposit
£41.38

Grand Total:
£1,213.36

Dec 27, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #3,922 of 11,341
That's great guys. Hope they live up to your expectations but I know all of our praise contributed to the hype! Listening now and while there will be different opinions on sound it will be hard to argue against the supreme quality of the fit and finish. And wait until you see the leather box. That in itself is a work of art.

Dec 27, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #3,923 of 11,341
That's great guys. Hope they live up to your expectations but I know all of our praise contributed to the hype! Listening now and while there will be different opinions on sound it will be hard to argue against the supreme quality of the fit and finish. And wait until you see the leather box. That in itself is a work of art.

Man i feel the same excitement when i was a little kid on Christmas and i knew i was getting that one special present i bitched about for months prior lol 

Dec 27, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #3,924 of 11,341
Listening now and while there will be different opinions on sound it will be hard to argue against the supreme quality of the fit and finish. And wait until you see the leather box. That in itself is a work of art.

Have yet to read a negative review beyond Nomax's curt "Cans are to much Bass Heavy,much much more then the PIONEER MASTER 1.......i am really shocked...and that is not a joke!! This should be a Headphone for Audiophiles?for 2200 EUROS!!!! (...) .Forget this Headphones!"

My first impressions were probably on the harsh side too, but they were just that. First impressions. Further listening / burning in turned things around.

Love the Z1Rs!

Dec 27, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #3,925 of 11,341
I remember reading that Nomax comment too. Seriously if the Z1R is considered bass heavy I don't know what to say. The low end is deep and rich without being messy or bloated in the least. I guess it's not a bass for those accustomed to the lean mean treble daggers of the traditional audiophile sound.

Dec 27, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #3,926 of 11,341
Have yet to read a negative review beyond Nomax's curt "Cans are to much Bass Heavy,much much more then the PIONEER MASTER 1.......i am really shocked...and that is not a joke!! This should be a Headphone for Audiophiles?for 2200 EUROS!!!! (...) .Forget this Headphones!"

My first impressions were probably on the harsh side too, but they were just that. First impressions. Further listening / burning in turned things around.

Love the Z1Rs!

Remember our first impression of a sound signature strongly depends on where we come from, in other words on the sound sig we are used to. But we can adapt to the new sig and then explore a new cosmos. This is the same for me with the Z7. After adapting to it's sig it gets very very good.

Dec 27, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #3,927 of 11,341
those accustomed to the lean mean treble daggers of the traditional audiophile sound.

That would be me! 
biggrin.gif
 But... with the Z1Rs, I found a sound signature I may like better. Bigger, darker, bassier...at the expense -- some may argue -- of some detail, resolution, etc... though I do not find it to be the case. I find them to be even more revealing. Hearing details on familiar recordings I've never heard before.

Case in point - Giulini's Bruckner recordings for DG. Know these two inside out having listened to them countless times, yet listening with the Z1Rs was like a new experience. Resonant, dynamic, sonorous, vibrant... very happy about it.

Dec 27, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #3,930 of 11,341
I remember reading that Nomax comment too. Seriously if the Z1R is considered bass heavy I don't know what to say. The low end is deep and rich without being messy or bloated in the least. I guess it's not a bass for those accustomed to the lean mean treble daggers of the traditional audiophile sound.

​Before the Z1R, if you wanted a TOTL headphone, you pretty much had to choose between either one that had great SQ but little to no bass or one with great bass but not so great SQ.

Now with the Z1R, there is finally a TOTL headphone that offers the best of both worlds!
L3000.gif

But some people can't wrap their heads around the concept of a high-end headphone having a powerful bass response, and when they finally hear one that does (like the Z1R) they get a little freaked out by it (like NOMAX) and reject it instead of embracing it, like the vast majority of people who have heard it have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back