The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 12, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #3,467 of 11,341
Big thumbs up for the CMF!
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks =-D
I got lots.  I should make a tread sometime.
biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #3,469 of 11,341
Quite big price drops on these already, so I suspect a further drop may be possible.

I am quite fussy on my bass.....I have TH900 and that bass to me is perfect. I hate bass enhanced headphones which give more bass but cloud or muffle the sound.

Are these completely closed? or 'closed' as in the TH900?.... which are 'semi open' really.

Even some totally closed cans seem to have serious leakage so I wondered if someone knew if the Z1R leaked sound?

If they don't leak sound and bass is on a similar kind of level to TH900 'quality', 'impact' and 'slam' wise, I may be interested enough to find a pair to audition.

Many thanks to anyone who can answer my questions on bass quality vs TH900...... and sound leakage

Dec 13, 2016 at 1:54 AM Post #3,471 of 11,341
  Quite big price drops on these already, so I suspect a further drop may be possible.

I am quite fussy on my bass.....I have TH900 and that bass to me is perfect. I hate bass enhanced headphones which give more bass but cloud or muffle the sound.

Are these completely closed? or 'closed' as in the TH900?.... which are 'semi open' really.

Even some totally closed cans seem to have serious leakage so I wondered if someone knew if the Z1R leaked sound?

If they don't leak sound and bass is on a similar kind of level to TH900 'quality', 'impact' and 'slam' wise, I may be interested enough to find a pair to audition.

Many thanks to anyone who can answer my questions on bass quality vs TH900...... and sound leakage

These isolate very well.  They are proper closed cans (not sure if I mentioned this in the review).  Isolation is good and it doesn't leak noise either....not to redirect you but you may really be interested in the review I wrote here

Dec 13, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #3,472 of 11,341
Just got these!  The bass on this is like Z1R in pocket form.  Makes me happy.

7550s? Awesome set of IEMs. The bass is pretty sublime in those. Would be good to get your impressions and comparisons on them alongside your other cans

Dec 13, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #3,473 of 11,341
7550s? Awesome set of IEMs. The bass is pretty sublime in those. Would be good to get your impressions and comparisons on them alongside your other cans

In Japan at the moment, so had the chance to pick up the ex800st (as opposed to export version)!   Took the guys a little time to find where they put the new 800's. It came in a white cardboard box and no indication of it being mass market. After achieving the seal - the first thought was hmm....kinda like TH-900/ Z1R in earphone form.  And I was impressed (I liked these more than the EX1000 for the record).

Dec 13, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #3,474 of 11,341
  In Japan at the moment, so had the chance to pick up the ex800st (as opposed to export version)!   Took the guys a little time to find where they put the new 800's. It came in a white cardboard box and no indication of it being mass market. After achieving the seal - the first thought was hmm....kinda like TH-900/ Z1R in earphone form.  And I was impressed (I liked these more than the EX1000 for the record).

Glad you like them. I still prefer the EX1000 because they just sounded more... revealing to me. I was introduced to the 800st/7550 by a friend who claimed they're made with the same technology but tuned differently, but I was struck instantly by the slightly duller response of the 800ST. Turns out they were not using LCP diaphragms but Mylar 16mm diaphragms.

Still they are very good(esp. for the price) and retains the dynamic driver magic that I find many BAs don't have. That physical presence of impact.

A tip, if you tape the vents the EX800ST becomes a bass monster.
Can't do this with a EX1000 because Sony put in limiters (pillars) to limit the bass response from the 16mm LCP driver.

Dec 13, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #3,475 of 11,341
  Glad you like them. I still prefer the EX1000 because they just sounded more... revealing to me. I was introduced to the 800st/7550 by a friend who claimed they're made with the same technology but tuned differently, but I was struck instantly by the slightly duller response of the 800ST. Turns out they were not using LCP diaphragms but Mylar 16mm diaphragms.

Still they are very good(esp. for the price) and retains the dynamic driver magic that I find many BAs don't have. That physical presence of impact.

A tip, if you tape the vents the EX800ST becomes a bass monster.
Can't do this with a EX1000 because Sony put in limiters (pillars) to limit the bass response from the 16mm LCP driver.

Definitely heard of the tape mod, maybe give it a chance when I get bored with the current sig...a little bit worried that it may damage the driver w/o proper venting.

The thing about the EX1000 that bugged me was that treble peak. It's a bit like the TH900...kinda cropping up where you don't want to sometimes.  I really like the general tonality of the 800...calmer...hahah. I think generally the response I prefer tends to be more linear.  But there were times when the EX1000 was just awesome! The great thing is that Sony engineers actually regard mylar quite well even though its not exotic like some of their other creations!  
etysmile.gif

Dec 13, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #3,476 of 11,341
  Definitely heard of the tape mod, maybe give it a chance when I get bored with the current sig...a little bit worried that it may damage the driver w/o proper venting.

The thing about the EX1000 that bugged me was that treble peak. It's a bit like the TH900...kinda cropping up where you don't want to sometimes.  I really like the general tonality of the 800...calmer...hahah. I think generally the response I prefer tends to be more linear.  But there were times when the EX1000 was just awesome! The great thing is that Sony engineers actually regard mylar quite well even though its not exotic like some of their other creations!  
etysmile.gif

Yeah I think Sony takes special care with their ST line. CD800ST and EX800ST have their special minisite.

Might be Japanese thing regarding the harsher and brighter tonality... Yamaha pianos is rumored to have a more "separated" treble, standing out among the envelope of the lower regions.

That being said pianos have wild variations and even a Boesendorfer can sound like a treble mess.

What really bugs me is that why Sony can't make an IEM with a nice seal and comfort, like for stage use(Shure SE846 type of deal). They're obviously very big in professional audio so why they choose to neglect this market eludes me.

Dec 13, 2016 at 4:51 AM Post #3,477 of 11,341

etysmile.gif

I love my EX800s, they're a very reliable daily driver for those situations I don't want to use something fancier, and I love their head stage, worked great with the ZX2 previously and the new Walkman models too. As for the TH 900s, Whitigir's tips on the foam placement and other simple mods help cut out the treble peak a lot while retaining that thunderous bass, I liked them a lot more after playing around with them as suggested. 

All we need now is a Sony Signature Series IEM, something to really top the EX1000, and go well with the Walkman 4.4mm balanced out, and we'll be all set 
biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2016 at 4:56 AM Post #3,478 of 11,341
Don't Sony have a CIEM lab that opened up recently under a 3rd part name? Only avaliable in Japan though I think and they were very expensive, I can't really remember the details tbh as I am already happy with my Noble K10s and don't plan on changing any time soon so I wasn't paying that much attention.

Dec 13, 2016 at 5:36 AM Post #3,480 of 11,341
Don't Sony have a CIEM lab that opened up recently under a 3rd part name? Only avaliable in Japan though I think and they were very expensive, I can't really remember the details tbh as I am already happy with my Noble K10s and don't plan on changing any time soon so I wasn't paying that much attention.

Just ear.

The top of the line model MH1 may seem expensive but in reality it's the best bargain CIEM you can currently get - because it is an unparalleled personalised sound tuning services provided by Sony's sound engineer Matsuo Bandai-san whom oversaw several headphones in Sony including the EX1000 that just got mentioned here. No other CIEM brand currently offers this kind of end-to-end services.

Go over and read the Just ear thread, specifically VZ and mine regarding the ordering and delivery process:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/739725/sony-announces-the-just-ear-brand-of-custom-iems/150#post_11565506
http://www.head-fi.org/t/739725/sony-announces-the-just-ear-brand-of-custom-iems/195#post_12511115
http://www.head-fi.org/t/739725/sony-announces-the-just-ear-brand-of-custom-iems/210#post_12739565

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back