The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 5, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #7,877 of 11,341
Ha... I grew up in pizzerias and made pizza, cheese steaks, etc. before moving on to a career in law. Italian family in Jersey. Not an uncommon line of work I guess. We used to listen to music in those days on a dusty old boom box in the kitchen. This was the '90's. The thought of spending thousands on headphones would have been insane.
In the beginning of my headphone quest I looked at the more expensive offerings and couldn't believe that they are that expensive. But now... Not so much lol.

Mar 5, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #7,878 of 11,341
Not too many old school pizzerias anymore but there are many options here in Jersey. My family is from Naples where pizza was basically invented. Neapolitan style is the best there is but I know people have their preferences based on region (e.g. deep dish in Chicago).

That's awesome about your heritage. I always tell people that I wish I had an Italian grandmother.... I hear all the time from people about the meals they eat over at their grandparents house. Really nice.

Mar 5, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #7,879 of 11,341
Not too many old school pizzerias anymore but there are many options here in Jersey. My family is from Naples where pizza was basically invented. Neapolitan style is the best there is but I know people have their preferences based on region (e.g. deep dish in Chicago).
Isn't the pizza in Italy different than ours in the Ny/Nj? And I tried Chicago deep dish pizza when I travelled by train across the country to the west coast. Awesome adventure from one coast to the other.

Mar 5, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #7,882 of 11,341
Utterly different! You ain't had pizza until you've had Italian pizza!

Isn't the pizza in Italy different than ours in the Ny/Nj? And I tried Chicago deep dish pizza when I travelled by train across the country to the west coast. Awesome adventure from one coast to the other.

It is very different but nowadays there are several places in NJ and NY that make authentic Neapolitan style pizza that is similar to what you find in Italy. A place can actually get a certificate from Italy attesting to the authenticity- it is all dependent on the ingredients you use. You actually couldn't find those types of places years ago. It was more Italian-American style. Thank the hipster foodie scene for the change in options. I am first generation Italian and still have a lot of family there so I get the best of both worlds.

Anyway, before these posts get deleted for being off topic - listening to the Z1R and eating pizza go great together! Lol

Mar 5, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #7,883 of 11,341
Whoa, some stress going on here, I missed too many posts. But I have to admit that while crawling and avoiding all the shooting and explosions, something got my attention... a potentially nice cheese sandwich from an Italian place near NY. No photos of that?

Yup. I guess I'm hungry. Kitchen is a bit empty tho, so since it's Sunday evening, I'm hitting one or five G&Ts instead. Sadly, I cannot share those glasses with fellow Z1R fans, so perhaps some photos will do...

Mar 5, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #7,884 of 11,341
Whoa, some stress going on here, I missed too many posts. But I have to admit that while crawling and avoiding all the shooting and explosions, something got my attention... a potentially nice cheese sandwich from an Italian place near NY. No photos of that?

Yup. I guess I'm hungry. Kitchen is a bit empty tho, so since it's Sunday evening, I'm hitting one or five G&Ts instead. Sadly, I cannot share that with fellow Z1R fans, so perhaps some photos will do...

Are your Z1R's mating with the 800's?!

Mar 5, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #7,885 of 11,341

Yup. I guess I'm hungry. Kitchen is a bit empty tho, so since it's Sunday evening, I'm hitting one or five G&Ts instead. Sadly, I cannot share that with fellow Z1R fans, so perhaps some photos will do...

Nothin like propping up a Z1R with an 800s.... that's class on class

Mar 5, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #7,886 of 11,341
Are your Z1R's mating with the 800's?!

Hm. Havent' thought of that before. But who am I to stop headphone-on-headphone love.
I did notice they were... getting too friendly... damn things, can't leave them alone in the same room.

Mar 5, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #7,889 of 11,341
Yes I use speaker taps with all my headphones, although as I type I'm using a Mojo with the Z1R. I think the quality of the power matters most so if you have a nice speaker amplifier the Z1R will benefit to an extent anyway.

I just made speaker taps out of the second 16awg speaker cable that I used for the balanced setup and tried it on my older Harmon Kardon amp and it was terrible. The amplification seemed alright, but the noise floor was at like -50db and clearly audible. Just awful.
I've tested the z1r worth the pha3 for dynamic range and I can make out voice at -66db and hear voice as an unintelligible whisper at -72db. At -84db the phones are silent to my ears. Volume was set at my upper loud threshold. The PHA3 is silent at every volume setting except max high gain balanced with no eq.
I'm going to have to listen to amps for noise floor before finding a more powerful mate for the Z1R.

Mar 5, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #7,890 of 11,341
I just made speaker taps out of the second 16awg speaker cable that I used for the balanced setup and tried it on my older Harmon Kardon amp and it was terrible. The amplification seemed alright, but the noise floor was at like -50db and clearly audible. Just awful.
I've tested the z1r worth the pha3 for dynamic range and I can make out voice at -66db and hear voice as an unintelligible whisper at -72db. At -84db the phones are silent to my ears. Volume was set at my upper loud threshold. The PHA3 is silent at every volume setting except max high gain balanced with no eq.
I'm going to have to listen to amps for noise floor before finding a more powerful mate for the Z1R.

Yes, that makes sense if it is a somewhat older amp. My NAD M3 is pretty darn quiet so I don't have that issue. Bummer for you, but I have no doubt you can find a suitable amp. The flexibility of speaker taps is awesome and well worth the effort in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back