The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 24, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #7,352 of 11,341

I didn't have that will power and passed out on the couch only to wake up to music in my ears literally. :)
Maybe slept 3 hours too.

Hahaha. I had that happen tons of times before. With my SZ2000 and bass rumbling and woke up with my ears going beeeeeeeeeeeep 

Feb 24, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #7,353 of 11,341
  Hahaha. I had that happen tons of times before. With my SZ2000 and bass rumbling and woke up with my ears going beeeeeeeeeeeep 

I fell asleep once to this album. For those who know, 'nuff said. For those who don't know, this album has the potential to give an audiophile a heart attack.
devil_face.gif

Work of misunderstood art.

I had some real trippy dreams.

Awesome pics btw, nice to see you appreciate it so much LOL

happy_face1.gif

Feb 24, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #7,354 of 11,341

They look really cool too....you probably saw the photo in the other thread.   Not itching for any other headphone right now, so I can patiently wait until the summer to see what this is all about. 

Absolutely, this hobby is murder, there is always another great headphone just around the corner. Still, the Z1R is plenty good enough for me so I should be quite happy for the foreseeable future.

Feb 24, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #7,356 of 11,341
While this hobby is murderous, it is still somewhat affordable
smily_headphones1.gif
, and we can only live for so long with good hearings
biggrin.gif
. Life without music must be "horrible"! IMO

Affordable? Not with $4000 headphones, cables that cost hundreds or even thousands, DACs and amps running into the thousands. It can be affordable for sure, but not once you cross over into the upper realms of the hobby, then the prices are for those with plenty of disposable income, those who are willing to allocate far too high a percentage of their income, or those willing to carry debt. Still, I do agree that we only have one life and the time when our hearing is really good is limited so I totally get spending crazy money for the love of music, but I won't call it affordable as much as possible.

Feb 24, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #7,357 of 11,341
  Affordable? Not with $4000 headphones, cables that cost hundreds or even thousands, DACs and amps running into the thousands. It can be affordable for sure, but not once you cross over into the upper realms of the hobby, then the prices are for those with plenty of disposable income, those who are willing to allocate far too high a percentage of their income, or those willing to carry debt. Still, I do agree that we only have one life and the time when our hearing is really good is limited so I totally get spending crazy money for the love of music, but I won't call it affordable as much as possible.

I've probably smoked away like 5 Z1Rs worth. Anyway i've quit for like 2 years (and drinking). So those who don't drink or smoke can use that excuse
biggrin.gif

But seriously, if music is your LIFE and this is your #1 passion 10k (spent wisely :p) is peanuts relative to other hobbies.

I think i would have learned more about life with an R10 than university :frowning2:

Feb 24, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #7,358 of 11,341

I've probably smoked away like 5 Z1Rs worth. Anyway i've quit for like 2 years (and drinking). So those who don't drink or smoke can use that excuse
biggrin.gif

But seriously, if music is your LIFE and this is your #1 passion 10k (spent wisely :p) is peanuts relative to other hobbies.

I think i would have learned more about life with an R10 than university :frowning2:

An R10 can't get you a job, but many university degrees can.

Feb 24, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #7,362 of 11,341
  Yeah, I paid 1380.00 shipped to my door from a
December preorder...it's definitely worth every penny.

Happy Happy Happy.!!

It is indeed. I think if we look at where pricing has gone, in terms of comparable performance, quality, features the Z1R is a solid value easily right up against the $1800 price point where you find other competitors in kind offerings. It is also very nice to be able to drive the Z1R from modest powered amps. The Mojo is actually really surprising me with how well it drives the Z1R.

Feb 25, 2017 at 3:16 AM Post #7,363 of 11,341
  It is indeed. I think if we look at where pricing has gone, in terms of comparable performance, quality, features the Z1R is a solid value easily right up against the $1800 price point where you find other competitors in kind offerings. It is also very nice to be able to drive the Z1R from modest powered amps. The Mojo is actually really surprising me with how well it drives the Z1R.

I paid $1800 for my first pair, and I still find it to be very much worth every penny. Is it worth the Sony MSRP though? I guess it would really need to be compared to other models in the high end range to determine.

Feb 25, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #7,364 of 11,341
I paid $1800 for my first pair, and I still find it to be very much worth every penny. Is it worth the Sony MSRP though? I guess it would really need to be compared to other models in the high end range to determine.

In the long term I think it is. For those who will keep it at least.

One of the things that slowly shifted for me since joining head-fi waz that I started focusing a lot more on value.

Value as in not paying more for gadget X just because it is popular/hyped/good when I can play less for something that comes very close to that quality. Also totally stopped caring about upgrades with marginal or placebo-level improvements.

Despite that, don't feel the Z1R was a bad value choice, despite the price. The reason I haven't bought its TA companion is that I'm not sure that we'll happen at the same level.

Feb 25, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #7,365 of 11,341
If you don't feel Z1R is a bad choice for value-pricing, then TA is even more value than that :). I honestly think Sony priced the signature a bit wrong.

TA: 3,199$
Wm1Z: 2,199$
Wm1A: 1,199$
Z1R: 1,499$, since there is no such thing as $1,499 in the signature. It is acceptable to have Z1R at $2,199 :wink:

Just how I see it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back