The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 14, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #6,901 of 11,341
Good thing I didn't have any coffee with me, then :D Also, I still regret not asking to take a pic with the Sony Japan team, that was a mistake.

I would have handed them an art utility knife and ask for a signature directly engraved on my WM1Z :D. It would have been a signature on top of a signature :D

Feb 14, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #6,902 of 11,341
I would have handed them an art utility knife and ask for a signature directly engraved on my WM1Z
biggrin.gif
. It would have been a signature on top of a signature
biggrin.gif

That would be cool
happy_face1.gif

Feb 14, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #6,904 of 11,341
Good thing I didn't have any coffee with me, then
biggrin.gif
Also, I still regret not asking to take a pic with the Sony Japan team, that was a mistake.

Me too. I liked the one guys Sony jacket he had on. With the short spikey hair. He let me test out the Z1R. I gave him a thumbs up and he smiled lol.

Feb 14, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #6,905 of 11,341
  Me too. I liked the one guys Sony jacket he had on. With the short spikey hair. He let me test out the Z1R. I gave him a thumbs up and he smiled lol.

I was telling them how much a fan I am of the Signature series, especially the 1Z, which I happened to be showing someone when they were walking past. They seemed quite excited to see a fan in real life, also told them I hope they finally release a Signature IEM later on. Good chat 
tongue.gif

Feb 14, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #6,906 of 11,341
Got the PHA-2A yesterday. Been listening to it. Initial impressions with the MDR-Z1R...

Like I said earlier, I've found this headphone is a strange bird to power. Sounds great through something as simple as a smartphone, and a lot of casual listeners (although that demographic is small with this can) might leave things well enough alone with that setup... But it scales incredibly well with good power. Listening through my iFi Micro iDSD, there is fair amount of detail and seperation gained on the lower end.

Through the Sony, using the balanced connection, that low-end detail and seperation take another step forward. Like I mentioned before, the idea of a balanced vs. single connection, just scientifically, doesn't hold much water with me... With all things being equal. However I hypothesize that with the Z1R, all things are not equal. I do believe that the power source a headphone is tuned with affects things. Since a balanced source delivers more power, if the Z1R was tuned with a balanced source (and it makes sense that it would be, with the new 4.4mm standard and all), it stands to reason that the Z1R is at it's best when getting the power it was originally tuned with.

Who knows, maybe my science is off-base. What I think is what a lot of people are coming to think... that the Z1R really likes a quality balanced connection.

So the PHA-2A is staying, the Kimber 3.5mm cable is going back. I'd be very interested in a Kimber 4.4mm balanced cable, in a 1.2m length... Anybody know if Sony makes one?

Feb 14, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #6,907 of 11,341
Got the PHA-2A yesterday. Been listening to it. Initial impressions with the MDR-Z1R...

Like I said earlier, I've found this headphone is a strange bird to power. Sounds great through something as simple as a smartphone, and a lot of casual listeners (although that demographic is small with this can) might leave things well enough alone with that setup... But it scales incredibly well with good power. Listening through my iFi Micro iDSD, there is fair amount of detail and seperation gained on the lower end.

Through the Sony, using the balanced connection, that low-end detail and seperation take another step forward. Like I mentioned before, the idea of a balanced vs. single connection, just scientifically, doesn't hold much water with me... With all things being equal. However I hypothesize that with the Z1R, all things are not equal. I do believe that the power source a headphone is tuned with affects things. Since a balanced source delivers more power, if the Z1R was tuned with a balanced source (and it makes sense that it would be, with the new 4.4mm standard and all), it stands to reason that the Z1R is at it's best when getting the power it was originally tuned with.

Who knows, maybe my science is off-base. What I think is what a lot of people are coming to think... that the Z1R really likes a quality balanced connection.

So the PHA-2A is staying, the Kimber 3.5mm cable is going back. I'd be very interested in a Kimber 4.4mm balanced cable, in a 1.2m length... Anybody know if Sony makes one?

Ugh, the Pha-2 isn't balanced though right ? Or am i wrong ? The Pha-3 is definitely balanced. But not using a 4.4, It's using dual 3.5's.

Feb 14, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #6,908 of 11,341

The biggest difference I noticed once I plugged them in the Sony TA amp was the vocals, much more open and forward

Feb 14, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #6,911 of 11,341
  New PHA-2 updated version is.  Don't know if its differential balanced but it does have a "balanced" output.

Correct, Just checked it out. 

Feb 14, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #6,912 of 11,341
how's the combo? any standout features in the sonic department? interested with the v281 myself, very versatile amp

This combo shows all the positive features, people are talking about here: the bass hit hard like good floorstanding speakers + sub, you hear details in a wide soundstage and i never find trace of harshness in the highs. Like i said awhile back, i can listen to a great variety of genres with this setup; only classical music requires a arier sound like the one from Hd800s (i use it with the same system).
With v281 anyway one thing you never miss is the power together with control and neutrality: it let express the headphones nature to it's best.

Feb 14, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #6,913 of 11,341
Hi,

I'm pretty new posting on head-fi (been lurking on the forum for quite some time though). On Dec 9 of last year I purchased a pair of Z1R from amazon US because I enjoy strong bass and Sony's IEMs do the job for me (I own 7550, Z5 and XB90). I was trying to replace my JVC SZ-2000 with something better and to my ears, the Z1R does the job. It might not have a stronger bass that the SZ2000, but overall I like the sound signature more on the Z1R. I use an iFi iCan Micro special edition, an iPhone 6 plus and an app called Equalizer.

At the same time, I found out that amazon UK had a better price, placed an order also back in December and kept the 1st pair until the return policy allowed it. Long story short, While using the 1st pair and waiting for the UK pair, I decided that I wasn't going to keep these headphones. The main reasons are portability, price and it just doesn't fit my lifestyle, I like portable gear and normally I just carry my Headstage Arrow 5TX enhanced bass boost, my Z5's and ASG 2.5s. My UK order was fulfilled last week, opened the box to inspect them (box doesn't come sealed with any sticker) because I was very skeptical about them being less expensive, tested them to make sure they work, they are new, in perfect condition and now I'm finding a home for them. I'm starting here because there is lots of love for them, and want to give a head-fier the opportunity to grab a good deal. The second option will be Ebay next week, and if not, they will just go back to the UK and I will have to eat the shipping cost. The serial number is 343. PM me if you are interested. Thanks. 

Feb 14, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #6,914 of 11,341

Ah, interesting timing... I ordered the Micro (Black Label tho) today, mostly to try to maximize the fun out of the hiss-detector Andromeda and was wondering if it could work out well with the Z1R too.

Guess you find it a decent match, good to know!

I'm doubly curious now. That thing sounds way better than the super popular Mojo, at least in theory on paper specs. But will it deliver? Hmm. Guess I'll find out in a day or two...

Feb 14, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #6,915 of 11,341
  get it without any hesitation , very nice portable combo ,, and great DAC ..
its amazing with the Z1R

Thank you. I plan to get the z1r next year not the mojo btw haha. I dont think i can spend more upgrading my dac/amp. 

but headphone overall,
HD800 is really good mids! some songs are bad not enough bass and can be sibilant
TH600 is really good bass! some songs are bad not enough mids and can be sibilant too..

That's my major problem. So the z1r can solve this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back