The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 10, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #4,621 of 11,341

For anyone in HK, this is available locally for ~$125 USD:
http://m.price.com.hk/product.php?p=185614

Jan 10, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #4,622 of 11,341
Not to sound corny but does this have enough musical prowess to make soul weep on those emotional songs or it's a get em dancing type can or both?

I'm an underground hip hop head but bass cans best for that.

Flagship I would get for favorite vocalist Jewel. Is Z1r BEST FOR JEWEL. help with this by testing by someone if they have few flagship would be awesome

I always figured the top dog cans make the singer present that's why they're so highly regarded. Comments opinions welcome

If someone has t1 th900 z1r and compare for songs

DOwn under by men at work
Electric bird sia
You were meant for me by Jewel

I know longshot but would help lol.

Good vocals would disqualify the TH900.  

T1 vs Z1R is really up to your preference.  It's best if you hear them for yourself.  They don't really compete the same way, and while comparing the two is an excellent way of benchmarking the other's performance...picking one will fall on taste.  As mentioned, they're not the same at all.  

If you like bass at the cost of lower mids, you may look into the Z1R.  If you can trade subbass/ bass impact and don't mind a slightly tilted but very clear and articulate mid-high frequency range, then a late serial t1.1 is definitely an option. The liquid highs are something to behold, just as the Z1R's bass can be spectacular.

Jan 10, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #4,623 of 11,341
Good vocals would disqualify the TH900.  

T1 vs Z1R is really up to your preference.  It's best if you hear them for yourself.  They don't really compete the same way, and while comparing the two is an excellent way of benchmarking the other's performance...picking one will fall on taste.  As mentioned, they're not the same at all.  

If you like bass at the cost of lower mids, you may look into the Z1R.  If you can trade subbass/ bass impact and don't mind a slightly tilted but very clear and articulate mid-high frequency range, then a late serial t1.1 is definitely an option. The liquid highs are something to behold, just as the Z1R's bass can be spectacular.

Which will provide most realistic voice?

I've read that Stax lower lines even beat the best dynamics but I've never heard a stax. Some saYing 2000x is best for open dynamic. Not asking which is best overall but vocals specifically

Can t1/z1r best a 207 /2000x system for example for realism in vocals. Portability aside

Jan 10, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #4,624 of 11,341
For anyone in HK, this is available locally for ~$125 USD:
http://m.price.com.hk/product.php?p=185614

I ordered these XLR balanced cables for the Z1R (same as for the 7Z's, Elear's etc), one set from LQi cables, and another from Dyson Audio, both silver coated, and they're both great. They sound essentially the same, so just buy whichever one you prefer the look of. The LQi cables are a bit fancier looking and more plush, but have more microphonics from the cabling, they're also pricier. The DysonAudio is a bit simpler, thinner and less fancy looking, but the cables make a lot less noise, and are also a bit easier to use.

http://stores.ebay.com/LQi-Cables
http://www.dysonaudio.com

LQi cables.

Dyson Audio.

Jan 10, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #4,625 of 11,341
Which will provide most realistic voice?

I've read that Stax lower lines even beat the best dynamics but I've never heard a stax. Some saYing 2000x is best for open dynamic. Not asking which is best overall but vocals specifically

Can t1/z1r best a 207 /2000x system for example for realism in vocals. Portability aside

Oh dear this is really a whole lot of headphones thrown into the mix now.  What's your sound signature preference - and what headphones are you coming from?

Jan 10, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #4,626 of 11,341
Oh dear this is really a whole lot of headphones thrown into the mix now.  What's your sound signature preference - and what headphones are you coming from?

The majority of my cans is beyer. I like 880.250 /koss dj for vocal but for bass xb1k/sz1k and acapellas dt100. buti don't know how much better it gets since ppl make it seem like I will hear GOD in summit fi land :p

So naturally I was attracted to th900 t1 and considered even Sony z7 until this bad boy

Jan 10, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #4,627 of 11,341
The majority of my cans is beyer. I like 880.250 /koss dj for vocal but for bass xb1k/sz1k and acapellas dt100. buti don't know how much better it gets since ppl make it seem like I will hear GOD in summit fi land
tongue.gif

So naturally I was attracted to th900 t1 and considered even Sony z7 until this bad boy

Man that is so tough.  TH900/ Z1R are bassier headphones.  T1 is a more mid and treble focused headphone.  Maybe get two? :p

Jan 10, 2017 at 1:08 AM Post #4,629 of 11,341
SHAMuuu Z1r is one of the few phones that can make the vocals sing but at the same time have a bass end emotion when the song has it.

So to reply, it (z1r) won't have the bright/airy treble that bright phones add to the mids but it also doesn't drown the mids in bass. It has excellent bass extension but also displays great control while still keeping emotion/bass when the music has it. I would say for enjoyment listening and get you moving listening the z1r the way to go. It does what the warm phone hasn't been able to achieve in many tries of other companies.

If you want mass treble air/detail with little to no emotion/bass end tuning, the z1r is not it.

Jan 10, 2017 at 1:19 AM Post #4,630 of 11,341
SHAMuuu Z1r is one of the few phones that can make the vocals sing but at the same time have a bass end emotion when the song has it.

So to reply, it (z1r) won't have the bright/airy treble that bright phones add to the mids but it also doesn't drown the mids in bass. It has excellent bass extension but also displays great control while still keeping emotion/bass when the music has it. I would say for enjoyment listening and get you moving listening the z1r the way to go. It does what the warm phone hasn't been able to achieve in many tries of other companies.

If you want mass treble air/detail with little to no emotion/bass end tuning, the z1r is not it.

That's very interesting take. With my 70mm xb there it's massive bass but zero emotion. I switch to duller cans with more sparkle like beyer mid fi. So I do understand this bass emotion indeed. Usually happens at movie theaters when they play songs prior to movie starting and you can feel the notes so distinctly.

Besides R10 one never thinks of a Sony for vocals besides their studio 7520.

Jan 10, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #4,631 of 11,341
That's very interesting take. With my 70mm xb there it's massive bass but zero emotion. I switch to duller cans with more sparkle like beyer mid fi. So I do understand this bass emotion indeed. Usually happens at movie theaters when they play songs prior to movie starting and you can feel the notes so distinctly.

Besides R10 one never thinks of a Sony for vocals besides their studio 7520.

Hmm.....well I do think that the Z1R is a very significant improvement from the XB line, but if you need vocals/ sparkle with an added touch of bass, a tube-driven T1 may be the answer (feliks is brilliant), especially considering that you've already tried and tested the Beyer sig.

Jan 10, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #4,632 of 11,341
Hmm.....well I do think that the Z1R is a very significant improvement from the XB line, but if you need vocals/ sparkle with an added touch of bass, a tube-driven T1 may be the answer (feliks is brilliant), especially considering that you've already tried and tested the Beyer sig.

Beyer is great but from the reviews the T1 doesn't sound all that much better over 600ohm880.

The musicality factor and impact of z1r as ppl stating in this thread is something NEW

and yea I'm sure this new 70mm is light years better than first one they released.

Wonder about impact though. If equal or better will buy Sony logo and pray to it

That much impact plus good emotional musicality to make tears

Bass tears and musicality tears equals heaven.

I'm mighty mighty jealous of you folk that have this on your head lol

***$$ does Sony sell this ear pad separate or z7 pads?

Jan 10, 2017 at 1:58 AM Post #4,633 of 11,341
I don't think Z1r needs anymore bass. I've state that I think the bass is pretty perfect.

Good to know. I should clarify however. I'm from bass land, where sub 30 hz frequencies push enough air to violently shake paper sandwiched between pads (see extreme bass club page 1). This is only accomplished with heavy eq of subbass frequencies and very powerful amps. Th900 is number 2 on the list, but given my experience with thx00, it would be no where near top ten without eq and amping.

So, as far as I know, the z1r has not yet been evaluated for "cannon" ability using eq and amping.

So despite having fantastic bass in standard trim, can any z1r owners attest to whether or not they "hit" as hard as th900 with amp and eq?

I do love all music, and simply cannot justify a large purchase on anything that isn't a cannon haha. I need the one do-it-all headphone that can blow my brains out like I'm at a rave one minute, and then move me to tears with beauty like I'm in a concert hall with the world's best orchestra the next. Maybe after I'm done raving and crying, Then I probably just want to listen to some smooth jazz to calm myself down after the roller coaster of sound. ...then I'll probably get gangster when my Boyz come knocking and bump the...well you get the idea. :wink:

Th900 seems top contender for this right now, but I am oh so eager to find out if the z1r can blow my brains out so I can have some serious fun with electronic music, movies, games, etc.

So z1r or th900???

Thank you thank you to whomever can provide some legitimate insight here--I will forever be in your debt!

Jan 10, 2017 at 2:14 AM Post #4,634 of 11,341
On the last page of that thread I posted video of 10hz,5,4,3,2 and even 1.
For me the paper shaking was violent at 80-100hz
These are not 18 inch spl car woofers lol
See the videos all the way from 130hz down to 1

Jan 10, 2017 at 2:20 AM Post #4,635 of 11,341
to me, Its hard to describe the bass on z1r. it's on the soft side, yet still have the punchiness when song demand it. despite being soft, the bass is well controlled, and present the listener with vast low end detail (by-product of being soft though. if too weighty, will mask any faint low-end detail). Reverb & bassline in recording still preserve.

i will not describe it as having Visceral bass, and make your eardrum bleed, at least with my portable setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back