The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 28, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #3,976 of 11,341
Yes, the R10 vocal is very natural, a very nice thing about this headphone, something that set it apart for many years.
These days I find the modern headphones are catching up very closely though, such as the HE1000(v2) and the newest Stax versions (007 and 009) with modern stat amps.

By the way (and thanks for the earlier info), what are the implications of a Japanese warranty, other than shipping to/from Japan? Thank you again.

Dec 28, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #3,977 of 11,341
  Yes, the R10 vocal is very natural, a very nice thing about this headphone, something that set it apart for many years.
These days I find the modern headphones are catching up very closely though, such as the HE1000(v2) and the newest Stax versions (007 and 009) with modern stat amps.

By the way (and thanks for the earlier info), what are the implications of a Japanese warranty, other than shipping to/from Japan? Thank you again.

It is regional specific in term of warranty.  However the ES warranty is transferable but you need to show the proof of purchase from the original owner.  I would suggest you buy one from an authorized US dealer or buy a used one from someone  who bough the amp from the US dealer.

Dec 28, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #3,979 of 11,341
So... I haven't been able to really listen to music well due to vacations and sickness (it's so great getting sick on your vacation days... ugh... bronchitis) but hopefully I will get some listening time again today:

Looking forward to any early impressions you have comparing the two. How is the clamping force with the Z1R, more or less than the C Flow?

Dec 28, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #3,981 of 11,341
@gelocks, more interested personally in how the overall sound quality compares with the Ether C Flow. Thanks for any thoughts.

Dec 28, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #3,982 of 11,341
Negative or returns signals are SPC, Positive or Hot signals are Copper. I also made one for my Opus 2 using this inspiration, and it is great !

Really? The Sony specs don't state that. It just says Siliver plated OFC copper so I would assume all conductors are that. 

Dec 28, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #3,983 of 11,341
With regards to the Sony-branded Kimber wire cable options... From what I can tell, they are pure copper, while the stock cable is silver-plated copper... Correct?

I'm not a huge believer in differing sound quality between aftermarket copper vs stock copper cables, unless the stock cable is particularly bad. I think quality copper cables will sound identical, whether they are the stock offering or some $800 aftermarket job.

That said... I do think there are audible differences between cable materials. So I'm a little puzzled as to which cable material the headphone was initially voiced with? The silver-plated stock cable? Or the upgrade Kimber pure copper wire cable?

Don't want to pay $229-$249 only to mess with the optimal voicing of the beast...

Anybody used both cable options and have any comparisons?

Dec 28, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #3,984 of 11,341
I have the Kimber cable that was customized for the Z7 (the 3.5 mm connection). There is a noticeable difference in sound I think - the Kimber gives it a slightly darker/bassier presentation. It's not a huge change. I am starting to favor the stock cable though - not sure if the $225 I paid for the Kimber is worth it just for the convenience of having a shorter cable. It's not like I take the Z1R outside the home anyway.

Dec 28, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #3,985 of 11,341
I have the Kimber cable that was customized for the Z7 (the 3.5 mm connection). There is a noticeable difference in sound I think - the Kimber gives it a slightly darker/bassier presentation. It's not a huge change. I am starting to favor the stock cable though - not sure if the $225 I paid for the cable is worth it just from the convenience of having a shorter cable. It's not like I take the Z1R outside the home anyway.

I believe Sony changed both the stock cable and the Kimber ones on the Z1R from the Z7 so we should be clear what cables we're talking about when referring to them. 

I'm not sure what changes were made though. 

Dec 28, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #3,987 of 11,341
I'm unsure what changes Sony made to the Z1R cables vs the Z7... Both are stated to be silver-coated copper on the Sony site. I assume that there are changes made to the construction of the cables, but the wire material is the same on both... Meaning the pure copper of the Kimber upgrade should slightly change the sound signature of either the Z1R or the Z7.

Not sure I like the idea of paying a good chunk of change to make the Z1R even darker and bassier... It appears to be colored enough in that direction, from what I've read.

Kimber has recently added hybrid and silver wire versions of it's Axios headphone cables to their lineup... Seems to me Sony should be constructing their cables out of the Kimber hybrid wire rather than the copper, if they want to preserve the voicing of their flagship headphone... One would assume they spent a great deal of time getting it just right, after all.

Dec 29, 2016 at 5:46 AM Post #3,988 of 11,341
Really? The Sony specs don't state that. It just says Siliver plated OFC copper so I would assume all conductors are that. 

I would too, until I open it up to modify my XLR into it. Why would they want to state specifically for ?

I'm unsure what changes Sony made to the Z1R cables vs the Z7... Both are stated to be silver-coated copper on the Sony site. I assume that there are changes made to the construction of the cables, but the wire material is the same on both... Meaning the pure copper of the Kimber upgrade should slightly change the sound signature of either the Z1R or the Z7.

Not sure I like the idea of paying a good chunk of change to make the Z1R even darker and bassier... It appears to be colored enough in that direction, from what I've read.

Kimber has recently added hybrid and silver wire versions of it's Axios headphone cables to their lineup... Seems to me Sony should be constructing their cables out of the Kimber hybrid wire rather than the copper, if they want to preserve the voicing of their flagship headphone... One would assume they spent a great deal of time getting it just right, after all.

Yeah, this had been discussed for numerous times. I don't get why Sony selling the Z1R at this MSRP and still does not include Kimber cables.

Dec 29, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #3,989 of 11,341
Z1R have arrived! Unfortunately I am not home till tomorrow lol :p

Dec 29, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #3,990 of 11,341
Really hoping at least one person has the ability to compare the Z1R and the Ether C Flow and share their thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back