The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 16, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #2,656 of 11,341
Looking at the CSD plots that @thatonenube published in his review, comparing them to the plots on the site with no name from the Z7, I wonder why nobody of you guys start to complain about how bad these cans measure. To me the plots and the distortion is not much different from the Z7. I love how the Z7 rings and distorts btw.

Nov 16, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #2,657 of 11,341
Looking at the CSD plots that @thatonenube published in his review, comparing them to the plots on the site with no name from the Z7, I wonder why nobody of you guys start to complain about how bad these cans measure. To me the plots and the distortion is not much different from the Z7. I love how the Z7 rings and distorts btw.

Just PM'd you a question regarding this post. Thanks.

Nov 16, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #2,659 of 11,341
Ok, I just updated my cables to Z1R locking mechanism
biggrin.gif
yay!
However, nothing beats the stock locking mechanism. May as well reterminate them if needed

​Nice. You people are really pissing me off as I have to wait for my Z1R. I'm really hoping it has that elusive tonality I have been questing for in a closed headphone.

Nov 16, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #2,661 of 11,341
but if the price go up again before Z1r availability, your preorder will remains at today price?

It does indeed, best to pre order now and then cancel it if you change your mind before delivery. Looks like new stock might be a while away though judging by the 2 month time quoted on Amazon.de if that is a problem for you.

Nov 16, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #2,662 of 11,341
Where did you source the connectors? Are they screw downs as well?

Well, they screw down just fine, but there is no retainer rings to keep the inner wires from rotating around and around. There is no socket like that on the market yet. This is pearstone 3.5mm locking connector and can be found here

https://www.amazon.com/Pearstone-Locking-3-5mm-TRS-Connector/dp/B008OWFRN6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479320776&sr=8-1&keywords=Pearstone+locking+3.5

The red ring is the ring that will get tightened to the outer shells and lock the wires in place to avoid it rotating when plugged in

Therefore, I reterminate my stock cables and see what this is all about. I can tell that Sony only used 2 wires of Silver Plated copper. The other 2 is Copper of estimated 24 AWG and is OFC of 7N. Surprisingly, these are not Litz style. Also, the Silverplated Wires are used on the Return lines or Ground lines and not the Signals line. The stock cables is made in China

Below is picture I already traced and marked to help with DIY folk who loves to reterminate it

Here, he is fitting into HA-1 to use stock cables in balanced mode :D

Nov 16, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #2,663 of 11,341
Well, they screw down just fine, but there is no retainer rings to keep the inner wires from rotating around and around. There is no socket like that on the market yet. This is pearstone 3.5mm locking connector and can be found here

https://www.amazon.com/Pearstone-Locking-3-5mm-TRS-Connector/dp/B008OWFRN6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479320776&sr=8-1&keywords=Pearstone+locking+3.5

The red ring is the ring that will get tightened to the outer shells and lock the wires in place to avoid it rotating when plugged in

Therefore, I reterminate my stock cables and see what this is all about. I can tell that Sony only used 2 wires of Silver Plated copper. The other 2 is Copper of estimated 24 AWG and is OFC of 7N. Surprisingly, these are not Litz style. Also, the Silverplated Wires are used on the Return lines or Ground lines and not the Signals line. The stock cables is made in China

Below is picture I already traced and marked to help with DIY folk who loves to reterminate it

Thank you for the link!! I've cut into Sony IEM cables before and they were the notorious fiber filled cables.. these don't look to have fiber inside the wiring with the copper/silver, correct? I think I will re-terminate a litz cable I have laying around from when I had the R70X and probably just make a 4.4mm female balanced to 4-XLR adapter for the stock balanced as well. I also have an ALO International which has the RSA connections, will need to make an adapter for that as well.

Now if I can source a 4.4mm balanced jack..

There are Fibers in the cores of these wires. Also, I am looking for those 4.4 as well...lol

Yea, I'll pass on re-terminating stock cables lol.

Nov 16, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #2,665 of 11,341

If I can summarise my own experience here, the Z1R are like good vinyl vs digital or horn vs infinite baffle loudspeakers. Measure less well (in the chosen areas to be measured ) but somehow built to an art to be more alluring to the music listener than the engineer in us all.

Nov 16, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #2,666 of 11,341
If I can summarise my own experience here, the Z1R are like good vinyl vs digital or horn vs infinite baffle loudspeakers. Measure less well (in the chosen areas to be measured ) but somehow built to an art to be more alluring to the music listener than the engineer in us all.

Yeah, the differences from musicality and clinically references

Nov 16, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #2,667 of 11,341

Here, he is fitting into HA-1 to use stock cables in balanced mode
biggrin.gif

Gotta give it to Sony for using high quality wires for their 2.3K phones!  Well, the HD-800S are not any better.  
biggrin.gif

Nov 16, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #2,668 of 11,341
It does indeed, best to pre order now and then cancel it if you change your mind before delivery. Looks like new stock might be a while away though judging by the 2 month time quoted on Amazon.de if that is a problem for you.

I'm not in a big hurry, on the contrary: already made expensive purchases this month.

Nov 16, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #2,670 of 11,341
I'm not in a big hurry, on the contrary: already made expensive purchases this month.

Well I don't think they will have stock for a while anyway, I personally would lock in the price if you are interested and then if you aren't ready you can cancel the order regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back