The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 24, 2016 at 5:51 AM Post #2,026 of 11,341
Just my 2 cents since I was able to test these out today. The closest headphone that has the same imaging, soundstage and sound quality to this is the Focal Elear. Pretty much everything is similar except for the bass. The Z1R is able to go lower though not by much. The Elear on the other hand is more dynamic. All in all, I'm somewhat disappointed by its performance. Going balanced on the Z1R definitely improves the sound however it still doesn't cut it for my musical tastes.

Test music genre: rock, metal, epic (modern orchestral) and anime/j-rock

Oct 24, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #2,027 of 11,341
If these genres don't work, I don't mind. Metal seems to need rather neutral bass reproduction, as the mixes seem to have overblown basslines.

Oct 24, 2016 at 6:00 AM Post #2,028 of 11,341
  Just my 2 cents since I was able to test these out today. The closest headphone that has the same imaging, soundstage and sound quality to this is the Focal Elear. Pretty much everything is similar except for the bass. The Z1R is able to go lower though not by much. The Elear on the other hand is more dynamic. All in all, I'm somewhat disappointed by its performance. Going balanced on the Z1R definitely improves the sound however it still doesn't cut it for my musical tastes.

I tried the Elear out for several days and it is quite an amazing headphones.  Definitely punch way above its price point.

Oct 24, 2016 at 6:07 AM Post #2,029 of 11,341

What amplifier/dac did you use on both headphones please?

And why have you put the Elear up for sale? :thinking:

Oct 24, 2016 at 6:17 AM Post #2,030 of 11,341
If these genres don't work, I don't mind. Metal seems to need rather neutral bass reproduction, as the mixes seem to have overblown basslines.

Quote:
  I tried the Elear out for several days and it is quite an amazing headphones.  Definitely punch way above its price point.

Yea, the Elear surprised me as well. I got so excited when I demo'ed it and bought a pair. I compared it to everything I could get my hands on; Ether, LCD-X, T5p, T1, HD650, HD800, etc. It seems to have the most appealing price to performance ratio. However I surprisingly miss the soundstage on my Ether C 1.1 even though it had no mid bass whatsoever. Just personal preference I suppose. My Elear is for sale at the moment so if anyone is interested, do let me know.

Back on the Z1R, the build is very much similar to the Z7. Almost identical except for the R10-like cups. The usage of 3.5mm plugs for the left and right channel is done very well and ought to be followed by other manufacturers. It'll make cable life a whole lot easier for the world.

Currently, I look forward to chance to compare the Ether Flow and Ether C Flow first hand. The hype train for the Z1R and Focal has finally reached its end destination for me.

Oct 24, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #2,031 of 11,341
Yea, the Elear surprised me as well. I got so excited when I demo'ed it and bought a pair. I compared it to everything I could get my hands on; Ether, LCD-X, T5p, T1, HD650, HD800, etc. It seems to have the most appealing price to performance ratio. However I surprisingly miss the soundstage on my Ether C 1.1 even though it had no mid bass whatsoever. Just personal preference I suppose. My Elear is for sale at the moment so if anyone is interested, do let me know.

I am a sucker for soundstage hence the reason I didn't purchase the Elear. I sure wish they can muster a little more soundstage depth and width.

Oct 24, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #2,032 of 11,341
What amplifier/dac did you use on both headphones please?

And why have you put the Elear up for sale? :thinking:

I used a few options and combinations:

- Ponoplayer only
- Ponoplayer + Audio-GD Master 9
- QP1R only
- QP1R + Audio-GD Master 9
- Mojo only
- Mojo + Audio-GD Master 9

I'm selling all my headphones actually. Just sold off my Ether C 1.1 last month and now my Elear. I wanted to properly demo the Elear and there weren't any around my area at the time hence the purchase and now release. In terms of price to performance ratio you literally can't go wrong with the Elear unless you don't like open headphones or the dynamics tire you. Though I prefer the Ether C 1.1 soundstage and mids over the Elear.

Oct 24, 2016 at 6:46 AM Post #2,034 of 11,341
I used a few options and combinations:

- Ponoplayer only
- Ponoplayer + Audio-GD Master 9
- QP1R only
- QP1R + Audio-GD Master 9
- Mojo only
- Mojo + Audio-GD Master 9

I'm selling all my headphones actually. Just sold off my Ether C 1.1 last month and now my Elear. I wanted to properly demo the Elear and there weren't any around my area at the time hence the purchase and now release. In terms of price to performance ratio you literally can't go wrong with the Elear unless you don't like open headphones or the dynamics tire you. Though I prefer the Ether C 1.1 soundstage and mids over the Elear.

Did you try the Z1R on the Mojo? I have the Mojo and am wondering if it can drive the Sony.

Oct 24, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #2,036 of 11,341
  What hype train? Unlike the Focals, a lot of the initial comments were basically fault-finding expeditions, even before anyone had heard these.

Expectations are always high for Sony flagships since they used to be so legendary.

And also their low-end crap-tier headphones and earphones attract a lot of hate because they suck so much.

A perfect storm of hypers and nay-sayers often hype up Sony headphones and then crash it through the ground. Exhibit: MDR-Z7.

Oct 24, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #2,037 of 11,341
Did you try the Z1R on the Mojo? I have the Mojo and am wondering if it can drive the Sony.

Both the Mojo and the QP1R drive the Z1R easily. Although I must say if you could go balanced... GO BALANCED! The sound improvement is REAL!

What hype train? Unlike the Focals, a lot of the initial comments were basically fault-finding expeditions, even before anyone had heard these.

Oh there was but hype thrusters weren't activated so it became overshadowed by the fault-finding expeditions.

Oct 24, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #2,039 of 11,341
Oh there was but hype thrusters weren't activated so it became overshadowed by the fault-finding expeditions.

Nope, I've been following the new Sony signature launch threads, I have to disagree. In fact it seems the positive impressions for the Z1R are a more recent development, as people start getting these in hand.

Unless you're talking about your own personal hype, then it's very possible.

Oct 24, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #2,040 of 11,341
Been on a long hiatus from this thread.  I'm happy to say I'll have the entire signature series on hand for three weeks starting next week (though the amp is slightly iffy atm, that may come slightly later).  Time to test all the synergies and good things like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back