The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 22, 2016 at 12:53 AM Post #1,981 of 11,341
beowulf said:

I like these, and I want to keep them. But I want them to cost 1.500 max, then they'd be the best closed set in the market. 1.900? Still ouch.  2.200? Just no. (EUR btw, add +10% for USD)

These are being sold for about USD1.6k (equivalent) before 6% sales tax in Malaysia on their Sony store. I might just pick one up if I can get it tax free at the airport on my next business trip there.

Oct 22, 2016 at 1:25 AM Post #1,982 of 11,341
I decided to offer my unmodded Z7 to ZR-1 buyers to do a side-by-side comparison. They have a few hundred hours on them so they should be pretty settled in by now. Will send boxed as close to new as possible to give that new unboxing review experience :0)
We can share shipping costs, as my gift to you early subscribers.
Serial numbers 18729.
PM to keep this thread clean...
Chris

I've Z7 but never like it, I still use LCD2 all the time. But Z1R is different level one, better everywhere.

It's much musical than Z7, just let me want to play more songs. I give Z7 to my bro's son already.

I've short listened R10 800s abyss w/W234 two weeks ago at my friend's place, Z1R may sitting level if compare with 800s basis my experience.

Z1R may less dipth of soundstage than 800s(in my memory), but 800s should't complete Z1R.

I'm waiting more time to burn-in mine Z1R, I'll compare them side by side if I can.

Oct 22, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #1,983 of 11,341
I've Z7 but never like it, I still use LCD2 all the time. But Z1R is different level one, better everywhere.

It's much musical than Z7, just let me want to play more songs. I give Z7 to my bro's son already.

I've short listened R10 800s abyss w/W234 two weeks ago at my friend's place, Z1R may sitting level if compare with 800s basis my experience.

Z1R may less dipth of soundstage than 800s(in my memory), but 800s should't complete Z1R.

I'm waiting more time to burn-in mine Z1R, I'll compare them side by side if I can.

Funny enough, to me the Z7 is the most musical headphone that I ever had. It gave the HD800 a hard time and does the same now to the DT1770 and the HD650. Even if I should get me the Z1R I will keep the Z7 for office use.

Oct 22, 2016 at 3:45 AM Post #1,984 of 11,341
Funny enough, to me the Z7 is the most musical headphone that I ever had. It gave the HD800 a hard time and does the same now to the DT1770 and the HD650. Even if I should get me the Z1R I will keep the Z7 for office use.

You are the minority but at the same time a very lucky person.  I'm simply more cursed than others.  Of course, I heavily preferred the HD800 over the Z7.  Of course, the HD800 needs much better amp to shine here.

Oct 22, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #1,985 of 11,341
i preferred the hd800 out of the alo cdm, but z7 out of the mojo (using the beyerdynamic T.2 cable i got from thomann) was more enjoyable to me at the time.

I would imagine/assume that it would be a likely scenario that the z1R + an ok amp would cost about the same as the 800/800s with a totl amp, if you are getting a headphone + amp together.

Oct 22, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #1,986 of 11,341

Welcome to the pool. What's your serial? No photos?
beerchug.gif

Do you have Sony's address? (This is not important at all but for some reason I'm curious)

Thank you, a pleasure to be here!

217 and yes I have the address. Photos or it didn't happen? 
wink.gif

PS agree the soundstage is excellent.  I'm in a honeymoon period here.

Oct 22, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #1,988 of 11,341
Haha. Not literally. A headfi honeymoon
The other thing that I am actually quite shocked by given some of the early comments I read is how transparent I am finding these. Detail really comes through while preserving the music laity. Ryan Adams self titled, I'm hearing the backing vox and synths far more clearly. You can pick up mastering differences in terms of ambience etc really easily.

Don't think these are going back to Amazon. Still early days though I guess.

Oct 22, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #1,989 of 11,341
The other thing that I am actually quite shocked by given some of the early comments I read is how transparent I am finding these. Detail really comes through while preserving the music laity. Ryan Adams self titled, I'm hearing the backing vox and synths far more clearly. You can pick up mastering differences in terms of ambience etc really easily.

Could only get better with burn-in :)

Oct 22, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #1,990 of 11,341

@TokenGesture ... What amplifier and dac are you using to test please?

Oct 22, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #1,991 of 11,341
These are being sold for about USD1.6k (equivalent) before 6% sales tax in Malaysia on their Sony store. I might just pick one up if I can get it tax free at the airport on my next business trip there.

Yes. I was quite shocked since I thought 1.9k in China was a great deal.

The box is quite big so plan your luggage accordingly ;p

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #1,993 of 11,341
Metrum Menuet and Violectric 280

Keep listening as Beowulf started off just as enthusiastic and has since cooled off a little. As well, use the Z1R exclusively, take notes on a few of these songs you test with for the standout moments and note the time in the tracks and what you feel is special. Then use your Pioneer Master 1 and see if these same tracks are just as involving etc. My only point is that the new sound signature love affair is much like a new relationship, even the ordinary is new and fresh and we love it, but maybe after a few months the bloom comes off the rose and we are able to be a little more objective and less emotional. I'm not saying you will change your love for the Z1R, I actually hope you don't, I am just curious how much of the praise is new toy new signature driven.

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #1,994 of 11,341
i preferred the hd800 out of the alo cdm, but z7 out of the mojo (using the beyerdynamic T.2 cable i got from thomann) was more enjoyable to me at the time.

I would imagine/assume that it would be a likely scenario that the z1R + an ok amp would cost about the same as the 800/800s with a totl amp, if you are getting a headphone + amp together.

The HDVD-600 can be had for less than 1K and I highly recommended that before spending more than 1K.  It is quite a match to the sound of the HD-800.  Personally, I prefer the Headamp GSX MKII and ECP amps but the Senn amp is quite a good deal for money in the used market.  

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back