The official record-cleaning fetish thread!
Nov 3, 2007 at 1:27 AM Post #31 of 130
earwicker7:

definitely off topic, but you're a vinyl-phile and just bought a KGBHSE .. what are your musical preferences and other system components? Just curious, as nothing is listed in your profile.

Nov 3, 2007 at 4:58 AM Post #32 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand why people freak out when they hear the price (actually, $2,500 is for the cheap model, not the one I got
biggrin.gif
) but I look at it this way... it's like record insurance.

There are so many records at the Pasadena City College swap meet at $2, I can't justify "record insurance". Vinyl is a buyer's market. I can't carry all the great deals I find.

See ya
Steve

Nov 3, 2007 at 5:48 AM Post #33 of 130
I absolutely loath record cleaning and vacuuming.

But I am pretty forced to do it now since I've managed to ruin the Miyabi in 6 months by overplaying dirty records. (short cantilever means dirt get inside the motor assembly easily ) :x

Got myself a little Nitty Gritty. It make less noise than the Vpi, does not take up much space and seems to do the job. ( I hope )

NO amount of cleaning, however, will fix the permanent groove damage, tho.

Nov 3, 2007 at 6:28 AM Post #34 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnsonad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I go down to the local shop and use their 17.5. They charge a few cents per record but I don't have to maintain it.

Howdy johnson,
which record store is this?

Bigshot,

I've started to go to more record conventions around San Diego/ Orange County. You're absolutely right -- there are great deals to be found.
(Makes me cringe when I think about the prices at Amoeba and the like...)
Any other tips on good swap meets, etc. I should be checking?

Thanks guys,
el cap

Nov 3, 2007 at 1:19 PM Post #36 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by the captain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Howdy johnson,
which record store is this?

Bigshot,

I've started to go to more record conventions around San Diego/ Orange County. You're absolutely right -- there are great deals to be found.
(Makes me cringe when I think about the prices at Amoeba and the like...)

Thanks guys,
el cap

Stereo Unlimited, great guys to BS with in there too.

Nov 3, 2007 at 2:54 PM Post #37 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonmnky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It needs to "warm up" before it moves at a steady pace. Before that it does not keep a steady speed. I'm afraid that this thing might be on it's last legs. So, you can see why a new turntable might take priority!
smily_headphones1.gif

If it's a belt drive change the belt. Turntablebasics.com are a good source. Try cleaninf the belt path with isopropyl and q-tips before you do anything else as it sounds from what you describe like a slipping belt.
If it's a direct drive then it's more of an issue. It could be something simple like a leaking capacitor or more serious like a faulty IC chip.

Nov 3, 2007 at 3:02 PM Post #38 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
short cantilever means dirt get inside the motor assembly easily

Got myself a little Nitty Gritty. It make less noise than the Vpi, does not take up much space and seems to do the job. ( I hope )

I had exactly the same problem with a Dynavector Karat with dirt getting into the coils.

I got a Nitty Gritty and it works like a dream although yes it's a pain to have to spend that much time on it but that's just one of the joys of 2nd hand records.

Nov 3, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #40 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
earwicker7:

definitely off topic, but you're a vinyl-phile and just bought a KGBHSE .. what are your musical preferences and other system components? Just curious, as nothing is listed in your profile.

I just tried to create a signature and it won't display...

EDIT--figured it out, WOOHOO!

Nov 3, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #41 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by the captain /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Pasadena City College swap meet is the grandaddy of all rekkid swaps. It's the one that replaced the legendary Capitol Records parking lot swap meet. It's the first Sunday of the month. The records are in the North East corner of the campus. Get there early!

You can't really use gloves when you clean records. You need to be able to hold them carefully. Gloves would be too awkward.

See ya
Steve

Nov 3, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #42 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pasadena City College swap meet is the grandaddy of all rekkid swaps. It's the one that replaced the legendary Capitol Records parking lot swap meet. It's the first Sunday of the month. The records are in the North East corner of the campus. Get there early!

You can't really use gloves when you clean records. You need to be able to hold them carefully. Gloves would be too awkward.

See ya
Steve

What time is early? That sounds really cool... is it literally "swap" only, or do people sell LPs? My collection is currently fairly small, so I'd probably only be looking to buy.

Nov 3, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #43 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need to be able to hold them carefully. Gloves would be too awkward.

How silly of me. I forgot that your special method of cleaning records required greater feel and dexterity than that afforded to those who perform open heart surgery, brain surgery, neural surgery and dental surgery.

Nov 3, 2007 at 10:13 PM Post #44 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just tried to create a signature and it won't display...

EDIT--figured it out, WOOHOO!

Now that this is WAY too long.. Shrink down the font please!
wink.gif
(that way those of use whose gear is not quite up to speed have to look harder before having envy)

Nov 3, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #45 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by ADD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How silly of me. I forgot that your special method of cleaning records required greater feel and dexterity than that afforded to those who perform open heart surgery, brain surgery, neural surgery and dental surgery.

x2, how silly of you! </Sarcasm!>

-= Matt =-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back