The Official Head Fi Ear Wax Thread
Feb 25, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #91 of 104
Just wanted to post back a quick update. I went to my appointment at the audiologist yesterday and she said my ears were clean. I do have a tendency to build earwaxes, and although I didn't exactly see any big chunks of earwax flying out (I rinse a lot in the shower though), I am happy to say that Debrox worked for me in this case. It sure was a very awkward feeling while doing the impressions when you couldn't swallow for like 8 minutes and you know there is a small pond in your mouth already 
blink.gif

Feb 25, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #92 of 104
What I find happens with me is that whilst the stuff that loosens the ear wax works, the stuff that loosens the ear wax then blocks my ear canal so I have to have it cleaned out at the Doctors anyway!

Oct 10, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #95 of 104
Subscribed. Thanks for this thread!

I remember when I was a kid and had a plugged ear (probably was an infection, don't remember) and the doctor did this. It really was amazing what came out.

I use Q-tips only occasionally, because of reasoning I saw in this thread -- it usually just compacts a lot of the earwax.

Nov 4, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #96 of 104
Here is my golden goose: 
http://www.amazon.com/Elephant-Washer-Bottle-tips-Doctor/dp/B005M2B5P0/ref=pd_sbs_121_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41QLNwQ6reL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR104%2C160_&refRID=1D6WAJ43G4W0DKFAYAZH

Top-rated ear wax removal spray bottle that I've used several times that always works with one to two applications. You could probably rig up something similar for $10 if you could find a similar nozzle but if you need relief this is what you want I've tried Debrox and those other alternative but this is the end-all solution that works for me every time without having to go to the doctor.

Nov 4, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #97 of 104
Before I found this spray bottle I used to use IEM's all the time sometimes up to 5hrs at a time, but I gave up on them because it seemed to exacerbate earwax problems. I assume the IEM seal heats up the ear canal and melts wax and irritates I always found myself rubbing my ears...anyone know if there's a tip that allows IEM's to breathe?

I have since gone strictly with earbuds and not really looked back. There's some serious budget competitors out there I used $3 Awei ES10 for a long time now I'm trying out $8 Mrice E100 and soon the budget killer VE Monks. 

Nov 6, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #98 of 104
  Here is my golden goose: 
http://www.amazon.com/Elephant-Washer-Bottle-tips-Doctor/dp/B005M2B5P0/ref=pd_sbs_121_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41QLNwQ6reL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR104%2C160_&refRID=1D6WAJ43G4W0DKFAYAZH

Top-rated ear wax removal spray bottle that I've used several times that always works with one to two applications. You could probably rig up something similar for $10 if you could find a similar nozzle but if you need relief this is what you want I've tried Debrox and those other alternative but this is the end-all solution that works for me every time without having to go to the doctor.

Link failed FYI.
Amazon 404.

Nov 6, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #99 of 104
Looks like they just raised the price on amazon. I paid $29 for the Elephant Ear Washer and use it annually (Rhino looks like a knock off): 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Elephant-Ear-Washer-Wax-Removal-CLeaner-Lavage-Device-Brand-New-/151642089244

Jul 15, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #100 of 104
After reading through this thread, I am left with these questions:
1. If inserting a foreign object into our ear canals causes our bodies to produce ear wax at a faster rate than they otherwise would, which then requires us to remove the wax with ear-washing kits or with special visits to a doctor or audiologist, wouldn't it make more sense to use other headphone types, such as circumaural (around-ear) or on-ear headphones? I wonder if that's a less-invasive, more natural way to listen to headphones.
I know that that question contradicts the last post that I wrote in a different thread, but I still need responses to both that post and this one.
2. What do professionals--ENT doctors and audiologists--say about how IEM users should care for their ears when it comes to earwax?
3. Do custom IEM monitors cause issues with earwax like non-custom IEMs do? I'd assume so, but thought I should ask anyway.

Sep 14, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #101 of 104
  Here is my golden goose: 

Thanks for posting this, going to give it a try. 

May 18, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #103 of 104
I fortunately have a dry powdery ear wax, not wet. Maybe it is genetic. They are rather easy to clean. Using an ear-cleaning vacuum, WaxVac, is enough for me. Q-tips doesn't really help, as it creates too much hurting friction, and since my ear wax is powdery dry, it couldn't really get pulled outside. I also use an ear disinfectant drop sometimes.

Many people have wet, thick ear wax that blocks the ear canal partially, or fully. When it gets worse, they usually require the water-based wax cleaner. For me, when mine gets worse, I usually only need to use an ear candle therapy :)

Last edited:
May 18, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #104 of 104
bumpity I'm having mine done today.
Good luck.

I'm on an extended iem break atm so I can have mine done. I find it's usually 6 months or a heavy cold that does it for me. I had three really bad colds (or it never really went away fully) this last winter so think it's time (I can usually tell due to the volume on the tv going up gradually). Torture today at work. Had my sennheiser hd25-II's as backup but it's more awkward using glasses with them then iems. Also as good isolators as they are, they are not on a par with decent iems :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back