The Official Fallout Thread
Mar 30, 2012 at 7:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

headphonatic

500+ Head-Fier
I thought it was about time Fallout got its own thread on Head-fi. I got originally hooked on Fallout 3, then I just had to get Fallout new Vegas, and after long periods of killing super mutants and pissing off Caesar's Legion, I thought it deserved a thread. So what's your thoughts on Fallout 4?

Mar 30, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #2 of 43
I'm down for this.

Hoping to see a Fallout 4 announcement at E3 or something. Not all that likely, but if it's Obsidian at the helm it's much more likely than if Bethesda is making it. Really excited to see how Fallout 4 could look running on the upgraded game engine!

Mar 30, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #4 of 43
It's up in the air really. Since 3 and vegas were pretty much remakes of Fallout 1 and 2 (or at least heavily influenced by) the real question is whether or not they can come up with something new. I am also looking forward to an engine that is a bit less buggy. That would be good.

However, to be completely honest, I'm looking forward to Wasteland 2 a lot more than the next Fallout.

Mar 30, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #6 of 43

Quote:
It's up in the air really. Since 3 and vegas were pretty much remakes of Fallout 1 and 2 (or at least heavily influenced by) the real question is whether or not they can come up with something new. I am also looking forward to an engine that is a bit less buggy. That would be good.
However, to be completely honest, I'm looking forward to Wasteland 2 a lot more than the next Fallout.

Black Isle did an impressive job, the first two games were nothing short of amazing, the sheer variety of known and hidden character options was astonishing. While both Fallout 3 and New Vegas didn't offer nearly as much variety, they were very good games that actually managed to bring some of the spirit found on the originals to 3D, and 2D to 3D on a series is a rather unsuccessful task, so they're to be commended for what they achieved.

Do note Brotherhood of Steel was a spin-off and doesn't count as a true Fallout game.

Mar 30, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #7 of 43
Black Isle did an impressive job, the first two games were nothing short of amazing, the sheer variety of known and hidden character options was astonishing. While both Fallout 3 and New Vegas didn't offer nearly as much variety, they were very good games that actually managed to bring some of the spirit found on the originals to 3D, and 2D to 3D on a series is a rather unsuccessful task, so they're to be commended for what they achieved.

Do note Brotherhood of Steel was a spin-off and doesn't count as a true Fallout game.

I agree they did a good job for sure. Both Fallout 3 and NV were highly enjoyable games. The main problem with going 3D with these games is that it's simply not possible to get the same amount of variation the older games offered considering the extra work that would have to be involved making the animations and/or cutscenes for everything. They simply couldn't have created the games in the same way. However, they did get a lot of ideas from those older games. So right now I'm wondering what they're planning on doing with the next game. I'm sure they won't be making a 3D version of BoS. They'll have to come up with something new. Something new which I'm not entirely sure I'll like to be honest. We'll have to wait and see.

Also this. Obsidian may get involved in the developement of Wasteland 2.

Mar 30, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #8 of 43

Quote:
I think the setting will be at a southern location, they've already explored the west and the east. Florida would be an awesome location.

I'd love to see Canada personally. With it being annexed during the war, I'm sure there's a bit up there to be explored. Seeing as how the Enclave is mostly abolished, a new faction aside from the BoS would be a welcomed change. That said, I'd also be interested in a remake of FO2. I usually get shot at for that comment but come on, imagine that epic fight with Horrigan up close and personal. 

Mar 30, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #9 of 43

Quote:
I'd love to see Canada personally. With it being annexed during the war, I'm sure there's a bit up there to be explored. Seeing as how the Enclave is mostly abolished, a new faction aside from the BoS would be a welcomed change. That said, I'd also be interested in a remake of FO2. I usually get shot at for that comment but come on, imagine that epic fight with Horrigan up close and personal. 

Both Fallout 1 and 2 deserve a remake, and despite the time difference between both, they do have two different stories that are nicely linked. But if the remake isn't up to the same level of the original games, then they might as well just drop the whole idea.

Mar 30, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #10 of 43

Quote:
I think the setting will be at a southern location, they've already explored the west and the east. Florida would be an awesome location.

As overused as New York City is, I'd really like to see it in the Fallout universe. But only if the engine upgrade brought the ability to look out windows.
tongue.gif

Quote:
Also, any news on the fallout mmo?

It's never seeing the light of day. Apparently Interplay got the rights from Bethesda to make a MMO, if they could make it in a certain amount of time. They didn't, so the license fell back to Bethesda.

Though if Interplay did make the MMO, it wouldn't be anything like the Fallout games we know. Apparently they couldn't reuse any locations, items, art assets, characters, story elements, etc. from the other Fallout games. The license was for the name only.

Mar 30, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #11 of 43
I really like Fallout 3 and New Vegas. I really enjoyed both, but I think I enjoyed F3 more. I've played both more than once and have probably put around 170 hours into each.

I have no idea what location I would like to see in Fallout 4. I really don't care, I just want another game.

Mar 30, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #12 of 43
What would be very interesting is to see how the Bos cope with the NCR, Caesar's Legion? Lol, no way are they going to survive, as Olfrid Battleborn once said, "they're a bunch of pelt wearing axe swinging Barbarians.

Mar 31, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #13 of 43

Quote:
Both Fallout 1 and 2 deserve a remake, and despite the time difference between both, they do have two different stories that are nicely linked. But if the remake isn't up to the same level of the original games, then they might as well just drop the whole idea.

Oh, I agree. Both deserve more attention. I'd kill for either one of those to be remade. FO2 is just one of my personal favorite games. I just feel it has more memorable moments and characters. Although I will say The Master would make for a visually disturbing encounter if done correctly. I'd also love to see the ideas from Van Buren brought to fruition. Sounds like they were pretty far into development before it was axed and the licence was sold. Damn, this thread reminded me of how much I love this series. I think I know what games I'll be playing over the next week. 

Mar 31, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #14 of 43
Huuuuuuuge Fallout fan here. Actually, i started with NV then after beating it bought F3. Then I replayed NV (currently). Personally, i feel New Vegas is a much better game than F3. One playthrough of Fallout 3 was enough for me, but i cant seem to get enough of New Vegas.

My fingers are crossed for a Fallout 4...

Sent from my HTC Inspire using Tapatalk. Pardon errors.

Mar 31, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #15 of 43

Quote:
Huuuuuuuge Fallout fan here. Actually, i started with NV then after beating it bought F3. Then I replayed NV (currently). Personally, i feel New Vegas is a much better game than F3. One playthrough of Fallout 3 was enough for me, but i cant seem to get enough of New Vegas.
My fingers are crossed for a Fallout 4...
Sent from my HTC Inspire using Tapatalk. Pardon errors.

Well Fallout NV certainly got ammo right, raiders in Fallout 3 waste bullets like crazy, but when you search them they've only got 3 round on them, maybe 12 at most.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back