The Official Echobox Explorer Thread
Jun 5, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #1,996 of 2,481
EB posted on FB today that they're excited to have resumed production of the Explorer. A few possible explanations:
1) They're referring to official-release Explorers, not IGG-backed batches (which, hopefully - according to EB's recent statements, have already been produced and are being shipped "ASAP")
2) They *are* the IGG-backed batches, and EB's previous statement about shipping in early June is wrong in every way
3) The IGG-backed batches have been lumped in with the official release batches, and IGG backers will ultimately receive their Explorers at the same time as retail buyers

Jun 5, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #1,997 of 2,481
EB posted on FB today that they're excited to have resumed production of the Explorer. A few possible explanations:
1) They're referring to official-release Explorers, not IGG-backed batches (which, hopefully - according to EB's recent statements, have already been produced and are being shipped "ASAP")
2) They *are* the IGG-backed batches, and EB's previous statement about shipping in early June is wrong in every way
3) The IGG-backed batches have been lumped in with the official release batches, and IGG backers will ultimately receive their Explorers at the same time as retail buyers
I expect it is number two or three.

Jun 5, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #1,998 of 2,481

I made peace with number 3 about 6 months ago. Seems like they are even going to miss their global launch now... I don't think much people will be disappointed about that though as i would be surprised if they have much, if any, pre-orders...

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #1,999 of 2,481
I made peace with number 3 about 6 months ago they are even going to miss their global launch... I don't think much people will be disappointed about that though as i would be surprised if they have much, if any, pre-orders...

I don't imagine they have many pre-orders either, although you never know. IMO, it's retail price is way out of line and will have to be dropped significantly, unless they just move on to another player. Although there have been some wildly overpriced DAP's that have apparently sold some units. The pre-order price was hiked up 100 dollars shortly after the player had to be completely redesigned, after they insisted they were waiting on "only packaging".

Jun 5, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #2,000 of 2,481
I don't imagine they have many pre-orders either, although you never know. IMO, it's retail price is way out of line and will have to be dropped significantly, unless they just move on to another player. Although there have been some wildly overpriced DAP's that have apparently sold some units. The pre-order price was hiked up 100 dollars shortly after the player had to be completely redesigned, after they insisted they were waiting on "only packaging".

The only reason to buy it today is if you're a fan of the looks, because that's the only thing setting it apart from other daps. I was never a fan of the looks anyway. I just liked the idea of a portable high quality player that could stream tidal. At the time i backed the campaign (back in november 2015!!) it seemed like a unique feature at a great price, around 300 dollars. On top of that it was due for delivery about four months later. So everything was looking good.
I would NEVER buy it today for 600 dollars when there are so much better looking options out there. Especially knowing what I know now, i wouldn't have paid 50 dollars for it. So i would be surprised if many others do.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #2,001 of 2,481
I must concur with Kenny. I think they will have a helluva time selling these at $600.00! Just too much competition at that price point from more established players. I am glad I got mine(I'm one of the original 49) and actually listen to it every day as it has become my go-to daily player. The cracks in the wood that folks are concerned about are not an issue for me as mine has a very small crack at the bottom of the screen and I could live with it. This is not to say that they should have cracks at all, rather that it doesn't bother me all that much as it is almost unnoticeable on my player. The wood is beautiful and rather nice in this day and age of plastic and aluminium. I think that EB will sort out the problems and deliver a good player that many will enjoy as it sounds very good, to my ears at least. I have DAPs from Shanling, FiiO, A&K, Cayin, Apple and some Chinese brand(X5) and, as I said, this is my daily go-to player so that should tell you something. I stream with it and use both the on board memory as well as the plug-in memory and have no problems with any of these functions. WiFi works, Bluetooth works, browser works as do all the other functions. Could they be improved? Yes, but they are not bad so I am confident the problems that exist will be sorted as the basic player is, in my opinion, pretty good. I think that the price I paid for it originally on IGG is worth it to me. Perhaps my player is an anomaly but I don't seem to be experiencing any major problems. I am NOT an apologist for EB,as I have said previously, but I think we need to look at the product without emotion and evaluate it based on it's performance(when you all get yours) and I think many doubters(I was one) will be pleased with the final product. Cheers.

Jun 6, 2017 at 3:23 AM Post #2,003 of 2,481
This is a beta product in every way, EB pushing this for full retail release is mind boggling. In 2015/2016 they should have published a full statement of intent to only deliver the backers when ready and end the campaign there.
Giving them much needed time to evaluate the endless list of problems.

Jun 6, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #2,004 of 2,481
I must concur with Kenny. I think they will have a helluva time selling these at $600.00! Just too much competition at that price point from more established players. I am glad I got mine(I'm one of the original 49) and actually listen to it every day as it has become my go-to daily player. The cracks in the wood that folks are concerned about are not an issue for me as mine has a very small crack at the bottom of the screen and I could live with it. This is not to say that they should have cracks at all, rather that it doesn't bother me all that much as it is almost unnoticeable on my player. The wood is beautiful and rather nice in this day and age of plastic and aluminium. I think that EB will sort out the problems and deliver a good player that many will enjoy as it sounds very good, to my ears at least. I have DAPs from Shanling, FiiO, A&K, Cayin, Apple and some Chinese brand(X5) and, as I said, this is my daily go-to player so that should tell you something. I stream with it and use both the on board memory as well as the plug-in memory and have no problems with any of these functions. WiFi works, Bluetooth works, browser works as do all the other functions. Could they be improved? Yes, but they are not bad so I am confident the problems that exist will be sorted as the basic player is, in my opinion, pretty good. I think that the price I paid for it originally on IGG is worth it to me. Perhaps my player is an anomaly but I don't seem to be experiencing any major problems. I am NOT an apologist for EB,as I have said previously, but I think we need to look at the product without emotion and evaluate it based on it's performance(when you all get yours) and I think many doubters(I was one) will be pleased with the final product. Cheers.

Since you are relatively satisfied with your unit, I was wondering if you plan to get it replaced as EB has offered or if you are going to keep your original unit. It definitely sounds like you got one of the better ones. I would be worried about the wood I think. Although the defect is trivial at this point, there has to be some structural stress that caused it and it may not stay very minor.

Jun 6, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #2,005 of 2,481
Since you are relatively satisfied with your unit, I was wondering if you plan to get it replaced as EB has offered or if you are going to keep your original unit. It definitely sounds like you got one of the better ones. I would be worried about the wood I think. Although the defect is trivial at this point, there has to be some structural stress that caused it and it may not stay very minor.

Yes, it would appear that I got one of the better units. I will only replace my unit if I have a 100 percent functional unit IN MY HANDS! I waited too long for this unit and I am not about to give it up without a physical replacement in my possession.
I have backed/pre-ordered two other devices and have had numerous promises of delivery but no actual unit delivered as yet so, in my case, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush! I will NEVER EVER back another project or pre-order another device as long as I live no matter what incentive is offered! That said, I am quite happy with my Explorer and could live with it as-is but will swop out with another unit if the opportunity presents itself. I think that IGG and Kickstarter are platforms that are (apparently) easily abused by nefarious characters who take the money and run after presenting a smoke and mirrors show and making promises they know they can't keep. Just my 2c worth. Cheers.

Jun 7, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #2,006 of 2,481
I don't think they are running a scam. But i do think they have been very dishonest by telling us they're on the home stretch and in the final process or only wait for packaging to be finished (that was the best one actually ) and so on and so on...
Actually the campaign was dishonest from the beginning. We were led to believe they allready had a largely finished product, they just needed some budget to start producing on a large scale.
They have proven their selves to be totally untrustworthy and even straight up liars over and over again.
Like I said before, i still think we will receive our explorers. And they probably never thought the process would be so hard. But the way they handled things, i will never, ever buy another echobox product and i wish i never did in the first place.

What you said. I think Sam is an okay guy; I enjoyed talking to him at CanJam. That said, I invested in Echobox because I really trusted Gilly and thought they had a good approach to audio. What I've become convinced of, in the interim, is that they do want to make a good product. They're just not good at engineering. I've done a lot of production and manufacturing test, and several of their updates have made me say "There is no ****ing way they're making that self-determined deadline." It's not because they want to rip people off, but it's hard to admit when you are in a bad position and need to really step back and make major changes. Hell, I work for NASA, and I'm seeing the same thing on one of my main projects right now. I think Echobox is more about optimism than performance, that's all.

Jun 8, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #2,010 of 2,481
Haha.. Who would have thought...
Where has echobox gone in this thread?? They seem awfully silent.
Btw: over on indiegogo they said they will be resuming delivery NEXT WEEK. Should we hold our breath?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back