The Official Echobox Explorer Thread
Jan 23, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #1,576 of 2,481
I imagine the marketing and PR is a separate entity than production. So, my guess is that the construction and shipping is happening in China independent of what Sam and his crew are doing.

Good point. Guess I was just venting that all this time going by and seeing all these images of the DAP and still not having a concrete idea of when we the backers will get to enjoy the thing. I hope it is as good as the feedback seems!!

Jan 23, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #1,577 of 2,481
I imagine the marketing and PR is a separate entity than production. So, my guess is that the construction and shipping is happening in China independent of what Sam and his crew are doing.

That would seem likely except for this rather bizarre statement on their Facebook: "We will be moving into full production on Feb 10 once our engineers come back from a much deserve break". Who has their engineers do production, if the product is really ready? And who says, "Hey we worked really hard and are just a few weeks from the finish line. Let's send home the entire department on vacation." !?!  I guess when you are this late, it must seem like another month will not matter to customers. (Note: "Moving to production," not shipping.)

Jan 23, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #1,579 of 2,481
81564c481282cff708dc29c0cab575cc.jpg
Hey, that's mine! It looks great.

Jan 23, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #1,580 of 2,481
That would seem likely except for this rather bizarre statement on their Facebook: "We will be moving into full production on Feb 10 once our engineers come back from a much deserve break". Who has their engineers do production, if the product is really ready? And who says, "Hey we worked really hard and are just a few weeks from the finish line. Let's send home the entire department on vacation." !?!  I guess when you are this late, it must seem like another month will not matter to customers. (Note: "Moving to production," not shipping.)

Well, they probably would have engineers involved in production, since it will be the first run. First runs of anything are rarely smooth and trouble free. And the track record here isn't good. But I wouldn't expect anything to be shipped out before March, and that is best case scenario if nothing goes wrong, and probably optimistic. The vacation thing was kind of annoying, I agree. When I've worked on start-ups, vacation and family time was a non-starter. You worked as long and as hard as necessary to achieve success in a timely manner. Different work ethic, different times, I guess.

Jan 24, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #1,584 of 2,481

Lol, I thought it probably was.

I caught a glimpse of mine too about six months or so ago.

And I am sure you will catch another glimpse in a year or so...

Or is that a tad too optimistic

IndieGoGo ones are going first. I don't think it will be that much time, and if I remember right, @makethemusic said that they will ship directly from China, so that should also reduce lead time a little. It would have been nice to get them by the end of this month, but there is nothing we can do about it. This was supposed to be my birthday present last year with the announced delivery time during the campaign.

The player is real, and pretty soon it'll really be in my hands. After all, I'm #1 off the production line. :wink:

Jan 24, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #1,585 of 2,481
Well, they probably would have engineers involved in production, since it will be the first run. First runs of anything are rarely smooth and trouble free. And the track record here isn't good. But I wouldn't expect anything to be shipped out before March, and that is best case scenario if nothing goes wrong, and probably optimistic. The vacation thing was kind of annoying, I agree. When I've worked on start-ups, vacation and family time was a non-starter. You worked as long and as hard as necessary to achieve success in a timely manner. Different work ethic, different times, I guess.

I can promise you that we did not get to the production stage and say "ah man, we need a break!". The "vacation" that our engineers are on is the Chinese New Year holiday which goes for about 2.5 weeks and during which literally everything other than essential services in China completely shuts down. Think of it as Christmas day in the US, but for a few weeks. Because of Chinese New Year, we are unable to do anything at all in our factory, so we must wait until everyone comes back for production to resume, and that date of resumed production is Feb 10. We agree that it is poor timing, but unfortunately it is out of our hands. Luckily, though, there is nothing left to do except run the production lines, so as soon as we resume if should only be a short time before the Explorers start shipping direct from China and to your doorstep! Also, if anyone is going to be in NYC for CamJam, we will have a few completed units with is that you can try out :)

Jan 24, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #1,586 of 2,481
I can promise you that we did not get to the production stage and say "ah man, we need a break!". The "vacation" that our engineers are on is the Chinese New Year holiday which goes for about 2.5 weeks and during which literally everything other than essential services in China completely shuts down. Think of it as Christmas day in the US, but for a few weeks. Because of Chinese New Year, we are unable to do anything at all in our factory, so we must wait until everyone comes back for production to resume, and that date of resumed production is Feb 10. We agree that it is poor timing, but unfortunately it is out of our hands. Luckily, though, there is nothing left to do except run the production lines, so as soon as we resume if should only be a short time before the Explorers start shipping direct from China and to your doorstep! Also, if anyone is going to be in NYC for CamJam, we will have a few completed units with is that you can try out
smily_headphones1.gif

But knowing this was coming, why was end of January ever proposed as target shipping date?  No way there was enough time for that to happen.  Myself, I had forgotten about Chinese New Year.

It must be a lot more "intense" than Christmas Day in  the US, because I've had to work multiple times (unpaid) on Christmas Day, ironically on production start-ups.  It was always standard procedure if it coincided.  Different cultures I guess.

Jan 24, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #1,587 of 2,481
@dlayman you are correct, very different cultures. For example, I am not, being in the US, observing the holiday and am continuing to work :wink: As for shooting for end of January, if we had been able to begin production 7 days earlier than we did, which is what we had planned to do, then shipping in January would have been a very realistic goal for our IGG backers. Unfortunately it didn't work out and our production ended up starting 1 day prior to CNY beginning, so we have enough completed units to show at CanJam NYC but not enough to send out to our backers. In the world of factory production, timelines are almost always best case scenario guesses, but the good thing is the more we do this the better we become, and with that our estimates on timelines have gone from being within months to within days regarding accuracy. Onward and upward to a bright 2017 :) 

Jan 25, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #1,588 of 2,481
Hey, that's mine! It looks great.

At least one person has their unit on track....
wink_face.gif

Edit: just seen the update Feb 10th

OK back to staying away from this thread, easier to deal with with when I had no expectations of delivery dates
beyersmile.png

Jan 25, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #1,589 of 2,481
@dlayman
 you are correct, very different cultures. For example, I am not, being in the US, observing the holiday and am continuing to work :wink: As for shooting for end of January, if we had been able to begin production 7 days earlier than we did, which is what we had planned to do, then shipping in January would have been a very realistic goal for our IGG backers. Unfortunately it didn't work out and our production ended up starting 1 day prior to CNY beginning, so we have enough completed units to show at CanJam NYC but not enough to send out to our backers. In the world of factory production, timelines are almost always best case scenario guesses, but the good thing is the more we do this the better we become, and with that our estimates on timelines have gone from being within months to within days regarding accuracy. Onward and upward to a bright 2017 :) 

I certainly hope that you are not planning on "SHOWING" IGG Backers players?!? You have many times stated that the FIRST production units would be IGG units, so it would seem that this quote, [COLOR=FF00AA]"so we have enough completed units to show at CanJam NYC"[/COLOR] would imply that you are taking our units to show in NYC?

I would sincerely hope that if you have completed IGG units, that they would get shipped out to there respective backers first.

Do correct me if I'm wrong but I do recall reading that the "FIRST UNITS TO BE BUILT WILL BE OUR IGG BACKER UNITS".

Jan 25, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #1,590 of 2,481
I certainly hope that you are not planning on "SHOWING" IGG Backers players?!? You have many times stated that the FIRST production units would be IGG units, so it would seem that this quote, "so we have enough completed units to show at CanJam NYC" would imply that you are taking our units to show in NYC?

I would sincerely hope that if you have completed IGG units, that they would get shipped out to there respective backers first.

Do correct me if I'm wrong but I do recall reading that the "FIRST UNITS TO BE BUILT WILL BE OUR IGG BACKER UNITS".

I surely hope you realize that in order to build out company we have been showcasing prototype Explorer units for over two years, and will continue to do so with production units. This first batch of units was done on a single production day specifically for our showcase in NYC. The production run for IGG backers begins on February 10. If you are still confused by this, please email us at team@eboxaudio.com and I am happy to provide further detail. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back