The Official Echobox Explorer Thread
Jan 9, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #106 of 2,481

I'm not sure, but it does look nice.

The screen? Yes.

The flask shape? Errr.... I'm struggling to see how a spirit alcohol container is being marketed as more 'discreet' than a DAP or cellphone, other than from the viewpoint of potential muggers.

Since it's leather-covered, I'm guessing there are no vegans on the development team, though
biggrin.gif

As far as whether or not it can simply be a DAP, it must be able to. It supports android, so I'm gonna assume so.

Yeah, it absolutely must be able to. There's just no way it couldn't be able to. That would be commercial suicide.

Jan 9, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #107 of 2,481

Yeah, it absolutely must be able to. There's just no way it couldn't be able to. That would be commercial suicide.

I figured as much. It's just that there is so much focus on the streaming aspect.

In that light though, I still need to know if a spotify/tidal playlist can be downloaded to the device and played offline...

Jan 9, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #108 of 2,481
I read your post earlier this morning, and made a point to go over to Audeze to check it out.

I tried the EL-8 first, and man it drives them with authority. No issues whatsoever, puts them to almost painful volume. Those things are amazing; Audeze is going to make a killing on them. I'll probably pick up a pair myself; truly impressive, if you ask me. I actually think I like the sound better than the LCD series, personally, and they are lighter and more comfortable, not to mention absurdly attractive. I'm sure even folks who have an LCD will want to at least try them.

As for the 2s and 3s...well, you might not believe me yet just yet, but I have some interesting evidence that I'd love to share, but I want to get clearance for it due to certain affiliations...anyways, it actually does the 2s justice, and it doesn't shortchange even the 3s. I know that's probably hard to believe, but Echobox will be at LA Canjam before you know it, and with the changes we're making due to popular requests, we won't be on the market until around that time; point is, I'm not saying this to try to get anyone to go out and buy one, so doubters beware! In the meantime, anyone who lives in LA with a pair of LCD2/3s is welcome to set up an appointment with me to hear this; I barely believed it when I heard it, and had to ask a fellow audiophile to verify what I was hearing, and verify they did. Would love for some impartial parties to be able to experience this first-hand and share with everyone.

I don't have access to any PMBs, so I can't verify that one for you yet. But I think what I've heard with the HD650, T1, and LCD series is more than enough to confirm my previously cautious yet optimistic suspicions that the Explorer is going to be a real game changer on sound alone, not to mention it's features, and everything we have planned for it.

Trust me, I know this sounds like a lot of hype, but I really can't wait til I get permission to share my evidence (if I do), and even more so for review samples to start shipping out so you guys can hear just how real this is!!!!

Quote:

I find this highly tempting. Any serious listening impressions so far?
Could this device cope with some hard-to-drive planar magnetic headphones?
( for instance the LCD2, or the ancient PMB-series orthodynamics)

Jan 9, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #109 of 2,481
i will just wait until it came with a micro sd slot, i dont really care much for streaming if anything since the stuff i listen to is seldom streamed or have an extremely tiny streaming choice

Jan 9, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #110 of 2,481
Seriously, prototype is out with the sponsor answering all questions yet does not release the full technical specifications.
I'm not taking this DAP seriously with only comments of praise from the sponsor itself.

Jan 10, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #111 of 2,481
@Gilly87, a couple of easy questions that I haven't seen directly answered yet...

1) Can you put music on the internal storage (until microsd storage is available of course) and play the songs?

2) Can you download a playlist of spotify/tidal songs to the internal storage and play them offline (like I can do on my phone, tablet or laptop)?

Thanks.

Jan 10, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #116 of 2,481
Love that this covers streaming services. How about DSD? Probably not at this price point but in a step-up version? My HM901 sounds great but seems so spartan compared to what is coming out now.

Jan 10, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #117 of 2,481
That iem looks very interresting. What is the name of iem? II couldn't any info on your Facebook page and here. Does it include a mic? If not it would be nice include a version for it or a future with detachable cable. Thanks

Jan 10, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #119 of 2,481
Not going to lie, freaking love the design, but then again I love the look of my t50rps.... Running android is also a great feauture.

Exspandible memory is a must, I understand its coming soon which is fantastic. True audiophiles would take more memory over streaming any day. Although the ability to stream from a phone is nice, but then we need our phones with us.... Most people do I guess but not always. Besides there are many portible DAC/AMP options that are plugged into phones

That being said, the Fiio x5 is $389 for extremely high quality music, build, DAC, and amp, with memory up to 256 GB. Output power of 460mw at (16 ohms), has a line out, as well as co-axial digital line out.

May not look as pretty or stream, but its also cheaper with 4 times the memory. As well as the ability to plug in a USB and us it as a PC DAC/amp

Also uses the sane DAC chip (almost?) The TI 1792A (don't know if the A means anything)

(Something like the new PhonoPlayer, $399, plays mp3, wave and flac that's it, and is only 64gb)

Therefore I think the main market of this wouldn't be true audiophiles. More like the people who buy Momentiums (or Beats...*shudder) who like high quality but still take the design and look for big marks, and don't mind price. True hifiers I might say won't stream often, and know the other DAC/AMP options that can be plugged into phones that are much cheaper

EDIT: I take back some of what I just said, throw in an exspandible memory, slightly more powerful amp, and the ability to use it as a PC dac/amp, and keep the $399 price point, you guys have a done deal.

Jan 11, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #120 of 2,481
Well I must say, I am bummed I didn't read about this before I went to CES.  I'd have loved to give them a listen.

Form factor is interesting.  I couldn't care less that it looks like a flask.  But the idea of it fitting nicely into my pocket like a flask is very appealing.

I think the real selling point here is the Android system.  Can you tell us what version it's running?  I assume you're not on Lollipop yet, but hopefully it's not an ancient Gingerbread version either.  Since it runs Tidal, I'm going to assume 4.4.4 Kitkat.

But yeah, DAPs with the ability to stream are rare and one with a good DAC and an optical port... well this thing has some very nice features.  Color me intrigued.

But as others have said, expandable memory is a must...that's a no brainer.  More detail on the power output is important; if I have to pair it with an E12, it's going to need to be much cheaper.  Also, pairing it with an amp really kills the main advantage of the flask form factor (the pocketability).  Does it have a line out and a headphone out?  Does it have a USB in and Optical In?  Can it be used as a battery pack for my phone since my phone will be chewing up battery as an access point when streaming? 

I think you guys are on the right track.  I look forward to seeing you at CanJam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back