The Official CTM Da Vinci Series Thread
Mar 22, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #34 of 57
We managed to get both the IX and X and just posted our initial impressions. Full review shortly after CanJam :)

https://headfonics.com/2019/03/clear-tune-monitors-da-vinci-ix-x-first-contact/

DSCF0681-1.jpg

May 27, 2019 at 8:51 PM Post #35 of 57
Okay, folks, time for my first impressions of the Da Vinci X and IX.

As always, those are first impressions, take them with a small grain of salt. There is a good amount of burn-in on both units with no changes expected to happen with further burn in.

- The build quality is outstanding on both IX and X. They are both fully metallic shell IEMs, they feel extremely comfortable, and both make excellent overall ergonomic IEMs
- Da Vinci IX is slightly more comfy than Da Vinci X. The little brother seems a bit smaller, or at least feels so. But Da Vinci X is still one of the most comfortable IEMs I know, you have to fight me to take them out of my ears.
- The overall package is awesome, the carrying case looks a bit more futuristic than maybe it had to, but I appreciate the little details, and the carryin case has a little hidden compartment that I only noticed by mistake
- There is a very slight trace of hiss with hissy sources, so unless you own an extremely hissy source, you're safe. With DX220 + AMP7, there is no hiss to talk about.
- If I was to describe Da Vinci X, I'd call it the ultimate. I now have a ton of flagships from multiple companies. Man, does Da Vinci X sound like the ultimate IEM. I mean, not just that, it simply sounds real. Even more, it sounds more than real, it has all the detail you could ever desire. MORE than that.
- I can't say the same for Da Vinci IX, the little brother actually is funny, I let multiple friends test IX to see what the reactions are, some really prefered it, IX is musical warm-ish, it is clean, has also amazing detail, but it is not analytical
- In this sense, Da Vinci X is a bit analytical, but it is not too analytical, I can't imagine a single human who wouldn't like Da Vinci X to be honest. Despite the pretty high price, the only way to describe it is OUTSTANDING.
- With Da Vinci X, I tested them at first with a song I know, you know, everybody knows. Linkin Park - Faint. I was able to hear more instruments than I had any clue existed. MORE instruments than present on any other single headphone or IEM I tested to date, including proper flagship headphones. For some reason, Da Vinci X is extremely revealing, but so revealing that it is shocking. Things sound almost too detailed.
- In this sense, I've seen folks made very bold statements before like "If I could only have one headphone for the rest of my life, that would be it". I've seen those statements made about 500 USD Headphones, and it made me chuckle. I am not sure if I can yet make this statement about anything, but if any single IEM convinced me this much that I won't be searching for more, it is Da Vinci X.
- Funny thing is, I consider the X to be more musical in truly than IX. IX has less details, it is more warm, smoother, but especially with rock, electronic, guitars, I hear more actual melody from X. More variation, more dynamics. Then, there is symphonic with large simphonies. I can't believe how good Da Vinci X can handle symphonic music, you don't feel just every instruments, you feel the space between them, you feel the entire stage, and more, you feel real about it.
- The dynamics are another thing. Da Vinci X actually has dynamics. It has soundstage. I'm not comparing Da Vinci X with a headphone, out of curiosity, I've been able to seen a direct comparison with 50.000 USD Stereos, and Da Vinci X sounded more dynamic, more punchy and more detailed, with more resolution. It sounded more real.
- You know, I simply can't complain about anything besides the price being quite high. This simply rocks. I heard other flagships at this price, and they didn't have what Da Vinci X has.
- I really need more time with Da Vinci IX, the small brother feels considerably different tuned, it isn't just a sized down X, it is more of a IEM of its own, with a different, warmer, more musical, smoother, I'd say less resolute, yet very enjoyable sound.
- In any case, Da Vinci X simply blew me away. I was expecting something, but I was not expecting this. I simply wasn't.
- Quick comparison with HIFIMAN HE6SE. I love HE6SE, it is like a true flagship kind of sound. I am bold enough to say that Da Vinci X has even more detail. Somehow, it manages to render even more actual information, makes music even more vivid and real. On the other hand, when you place them side-by-side, you can notice that Da Vinci X is slightly analytical. Then again, I love an analytical sound.
- Simply try them. Simply go for them. I know from other CIEM producers, and not from fans, and neither from CTM, but I had long talks with a lot of CIEM producers. They told me that CTM, and especially the sound engineer is one of the most forward-thinking engineers in the world, he is able to develop new tech that's actually really effective. I have no idea why or how it is possible, but think about this, Da Vinci X could actually be said to have an actual soundstage larger than most full sized open back headphones.
- I'm not even enthusiastic about them, I'm mostly reporting on what I heard, I'm simply impressed. This ain't no new toy syndrome, I already had HE6SE which I love to bits. You simply can't fake love and you can't fake taste. I love my music, I will sing along to my music, I'm one of those folks who won't fake things. With Da Vinci X, this is a new sound. This is how something truly amazing sounds like.
- A lot of folks who are searching for the most detail should know that this is it. The truly neutral - natural tuning. There is no coloration, just a bit of an analytical edge. When you put Da Vinci X on, you kinda forget what is going on, your mind simply recognizes that sound as the natural one.
- I hope you will try them. Don't take my word. Simply try them. Expect nothing. I am really eager to see and read your reaction after you try them. I'm really really not easily impressed. I consider that after having heard HE6SE, Arya, CZ-1, HS1650CU, Thror, Xelento, IE800, The Zombie, and many others, I consider that after so many flagships, I am a bit hard to impress. Da Vinci X really did impress me. It does every time I put it on. I'm honestly curious if it will impress you when you put it on.

D7nXapmW0AU0sez.jpg:large

May 28, 2019 at 4:57 AM Post #36 of 57
Okay, folks, time for my first impressions of the Da Vinci X and IX.

As always, those are first impressions, take them with a small grain of salt. There is a good amount of burn-in on both units with no changes expected to happen with further burn in.

- The build quality is outstanding on both IX and X. They are both fully metallic shell IEMs, they feel extremely comfortable, and both make excellent overall ergonomic IEMs
- Da Vinci IX is slightly more comfy than Da Vinci X. The little brother seems a bit smaller, or at least feels so. But Da Vinci X is still one of the most comfortable IEMs I know, you have to fight me to take them out of my ears.
- The overall package is awesome, the carrying case looks a bit more futuristic than maybe it had to, but I appreciate the little details, and the carryin case has a little hidden compartment that I only noticed by mistake
- There is a very slight trace of hiss with hissy sources, so unless you own an extremely hissy source, you're safe. With DX220 + AMP7, there is no hiss to talk about.
- If I was to describe Da Vinci X, I'd call it the ultimate. I now have a ton of flagships from multiple companies. Man, does Da Vinci X sound like the ultimate IEM. I mean, not just that, it simply sounds real. Even more, it sounds more than real, it has all the detail you could ever desire. MORE than that.
- I can't say the same for Da Vinci IX, the little brother actually is funny, I let multiple friends test IX to see what the reactions are, some really prefered it, IX is musical warm-ish, it is clean, has also amazing detail, but it is not analytical
- In this sense, Da Vinci X is a bit analytical, but it is not too analytical, I can't imagine a single human who wouldn't like Da Vinci X to be honest. Despite the pretty high price, the only way to describe it is OUTSTANDING.
- With Da Vinci X, I tested them at first with a song I know, you know, everybody knows. Linkin Park - Faint. I was able to hear more instruments than I had any clue existed. MORE instruments than present on any other single headphone or IEM I tested to date, including proper flagship headphones. For some reason, Da Vinci X is extremely revealing, but so revealing that it is shocking. Things sound almost too detailed.
- In this sense, I've seen folks made very bold statements before like "If I could only have one headphone for the rest of my life, that would be it". I've seen those statements made about 500 USD Headphones, and it made me chuckle. I am not sure if I can yet make this statement about anything, but if any single IEM convinced me this much that I won't be searching for more, it is Da Vinci X.
- Funny thing is, I consider the X to be more musical in truly than IX. IX has less details, it is more warm, smoother, but especially with rock, electronic, guitars, I hear more actual melody from X. More variation, more dynamics. Then, there is symphonic with large simphonies. I can't believe how good Da Vinci X can handle symphonic music, you don't feel just every instruments, you feel the space between them, you feel the entire stage, and more, you feel real about it.
- The dynamics are another thing. Da Vinci X actually has dynamics. It has soundstage. I'm not comparing Da Vinci X with a headphone, out of curiosity, I've been able to seen a direct comparison with 50.000 USD Stereos, and Da Vinci X sounded more dynamic, more punchy and more detailed, with more resolution. It sounded more real.
- You know, I simply can't complain about anything besides the price being quite high. This simply rocks. I heard other flagships at this price, and they didn't have what Da Vinci X has.
- I really need more time with Da Vinci IX, the small brother feels considerably different tuned, it isn't just a sized down X, it is more of a IEM of its own, with a different, warmer, more musical, smoother, I'd say less resolute, yet very enjoyable sound.
- In any case, Da Vinci X simply blew me away. I was expecting something, but I was not expecting this. I simply wasn't.
- Quick comparison with HIFIMAN HE6SE. I love HE6SE, it is like a true flagship kind of sound. I am bold enough to say that Da Vinci X has even more detail. Somehow, it manages to render even more actual information, makes music even more vivid and real. On the other hand, when you place them side-by-side, you can notice that Da Vinci X is slightly analytical. Then again, I love an analytical sound.
- Simply try them. Simply go for them. I know from other CIEM producers, and not from fans, and neither from CTM, but I had long talks with a lot of CIEM producers. They told me that CTM, and especially the sound engineer is one of the most forward-thinking engineers in the world, he is able to develop new tech that's actually really effective. I have no idea why or how it is possible, but think about this, Da Vinci X could actually be said to have an actual soundstage larger than most full sized open back headphones.
- I'm not even enthusiastic about them, I'm mostly reporting on what I heard, I'm simply impressed. This ain't no new toy syndrome, I already had HE6SE which I love to bits. You simply can't fake love and you can't fake taste. I love my music, I will sing along to my music, I'm one of those folks who won't fake things. With Da Vinci X, this is a new sound. This is how something truly amazing sounds like.
- A lot of folks who are searching for the most detail should know that this is it. The truly neutral - natural tuning. There is no coloration, just a bit of an analytical edge. When you put Da Vinci X on, you kinda forget what is going on, your mind simply recognizes that sound as the natural one.
- I hope you will try them. Don't take my word. Simply try them. Expect nothing. I am really eager to see and read your reaction after you try them. I'm really really not easily impressed. I consider that after having heard HE6SE, Arya, CZ-1, HS1650CU, Thror, Xelento, IE800, The Zombie, and many others, I consider that after so many flagships, I am a bit hard to impress. Da Vinci X really did impress me. It does every time I put it on. I'm honestly curious if it will impress you when you put it on.

D7nXapmW0AU0sez.jpg:large

Having heard (and reviewed) the X, I feel like everything else I have put in my ears since struggles to live up to them. I think I've been spoiled.

May 28, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #37 of 57
Having heard (and reviewed) the X, I feel like everything else I have put in my ears since struggles to live up to them. I think I've been spoiled.

Oh yes, if someone wants to hear what ultimate IEMs sound like, they have to try Da Vinci X, there is so little out there that can even come close to them, it is scary :)

I'm amazed there aren't more people talking about them yet, this will be one of the best things ever created. There are no issues with it. And there are IEMs more expensive that don't have this level of detail and clarity... :)

May 29, 2019 at 6:56 AM Post #39 of 57
Great first impressions! Give the IX a little more time to grow on you :wink: in the end, I vastly preferred them to their bigger siblings (mostly because of the warmer, more "emotional" midrange) :)
@Asspirin @Dobrescu George Interesting @Asspirin (and this is definitely personal taste rather than a criticism of your comment or review, both of which I enjoyed) but I found the fullness of the X with that outrageously detailed sparkle up top totally blew me away... the IXs sounded (almost) flat in comparison/side by side to me.

May 29, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #40 of 57
Great first impressions! Give the IX a little more time to grow on you :wink: in the end, I vastly preferred them to their bigger siblings (mostly because of the warmer, more "emotional" midrange) :)

I see :)

Seems that I found X to be the thing for me, but you're right, there were people in Romania who tested both and who liked IX better, seems that it is a taste thing. I'm sure that both are excellent IEMs, only need to find which one is for you :)

I think that the details of X are what touched my soul. I love the fact that we have variations about taste, it makes this hobby much more interesting, discovering the fun side that others found in something! I should try the IX with other music, I think that my mostly metal playlist doesn't favor them much either :)

@Asspirin @Dobrescu George Interesting @Asspirin (and this is definitely personal taste rather than a criticism of your comment or review, both of which I enjoyed) but I found the fullness of the X with that outrageously detailed sparkle up top totally blew me away... the IXs sounded (almost) flat in comparison/side by side to me.

This is what I felt as well at the beginning. I think that IX gets a bit more open with more usage, as I've been doing some burn-in, but I think that the X is the one that is wider and more dynamic. Maybe the music is also much better represented by a colder sound for both of us, the warmth of IX will surely highlight the advantages of certain music, but with the X, I feel as if my metal musi collection simply comes alive!

@Asspirin what music have you been using? I made a Tidal Playlist for Audiophile-Heaven, maybe you have a test playlist as well, I'm curious to understand other tastes more! :)

May 29, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #41 of 57
Subbed to thread

Something about the description of the Da Vinci X signature, as well as the CTM's presentation of these iEMs, has me very interested, compared to other TOTL IEMs.

Any sound comparisons to Solaris/IER Z1R/FW10000/etc?

Also, IEMatch eliminates hiss?

May 29, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #42 of 57
Subbed to thread

Something about the description of the Da Vinci X signature, as well as the CTM's presentation of these iEMs, has me very interested, compared to other TOTL IEMs.

Any sound comparisons to Solaris/IER Z1R/FW10000/etc?

Also, IEMatch eliminates hiss?

I highly doubt you'll need iEMatch, they are not sensitive enough to have hiss with most sources, but it does eliminate it, if it ever happens :)

As for comparisons, I'll be working on those ASAP :)

May 29, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #43 of 57
I highly doubt you'll need iEMatch, they are not sensitive enough to have hiss with most sources, but it does eliminate it, if it ever happens :)

As for comparisons, I'll be working on those ASAP :)

Awesome, appreciate the work man

May 29, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #44 of 57
@Grimbles @Dobrescu George

Glad to read the discussion finally kicking off! To address the most important thing first: Of course, it all comes down to personal preference! It's possible to judge certain technicalities on an objective level, but sound signature and rating are always subjective to personal taste :) That's why I can totally understand your preference for the DaVinci X. The amount of detail and treble extension these things bring to the table is quite impressive and deserves proper praise and appreciation.
Personally, I'm quite treble-sensitive and thus usually preferring a warmer sound signature. The IX have that "sweetened" reference-monitor-sound that I madly appreciate. I tried to express these thoughts in my reviews, so check them out for further insight :)

@Dobrescu George I made a Spotify playlist for review purposes:

Spotify is "just" 320k, but much more convenient for me, because I'm always on the move. Most of these tracks I own as FLAC versions, so before anyone jumps on me for that: The medium's loss of certain sound characteristics is always taken into the equation :wink:

May 30, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #45 of 57
@Grimbles @Dobrescu George

Glad to read the discussion finally kicking off! To address the most important thing first: Of course, it all comes down to personal preference! It's possible to judge certain technicalities on an objective level, but sound signature and rating are always subjective to personal taste :) That's why I can totally understand your preference for the DaVinci X. The amount of detail and treble extension these things bring to the table is quite impressive and deserves proper praise and appreciation.
Personally, I'm quite treble-sensitive and thus usually preferring a warmer sound signature. The IX have that "sweetened" reference-monitor-sound that I madly appreciate. I tried to express these thoughts in my reviews, so check them out for further insight :)

@Dobrescu George I made a Spotify playlist for review purposes:

Spotify is "just" 320k, but much more convenient for me, because I'm always on the move. Most of these tracks I own as FLAC versions, so before anyone jumps on me for that: The medium's loss of certain sound characteristics is always taken into the equation :wink:

Woah,. that's an interesting playlist!

Lots of songs I didn't know actually, but there are quite a lot that I am quite familiar with.

I think in this situation the biggest thing is that we're having slightly different tastes, I think IX is quite a bit too sweet for me, while the X hits my sweet spot juuust right

Users who are viewing this thread

Back