The Official Cigar Thread
Nov 15, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #31 of 1,369
New arrivals
smily_headphones1.gif
(sorry for the fuzzy pic, my hands suck with cameras)

Nov 15, 2006 at 10:17 PM Post #32 of 1,369
Is that a sampler? If so, which one and from where? Let us know how each of them smoke...

Also, for those of you who smoke inside, what air filters do you use (if any) and how well do they work? If there is a smoke alarm around will it probably be trigered by the cigar smoke or do the air filters take the smoke in pretty well (if at all)? Thanks

Nov 15, 2006 at 11:41 PM Post #33 of 1,369
I think we need to:
1) have more cigar ratings (like the format for the ones below)
2) roll the cigar review thread into this one, which seems to be more active

If not, then could more people please post cigar ratings and reviews; I find them very helpful, kind of like our own Cigar Head-Fi Magazine
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zarathustra19
Hey all,
1. Padron Anniversary Series Principe': 5 of 5
Taste: 5
Construction: 5
Draw: 5
Aroma: 5
Finish: 5
The Principe' is a wonderful little Cigar with a maduro wrapper. A small cut near the end will allow a great draw, through which the light cedar flavor can freely move. This cigar is full strength, and if smoked properly will leave one with a slight buzz when finished. The smoke has hints of coffee and chocolate in the aroma, though no flavor is added to the actual tobacco itself. Unlike its larger cousins, this cigar will not leave one feeling sick on an empty stomach and is a great smoke when combined with after desert coffee or tea. It may cost a little more than some are willing to spend (5-6 dollars U.S. per cigar), but it is well worth a once in a while indugence.

2. Padron 1924 anniversary Series Corona: 4.2
Draw:4
Finish: 2
While this cigar is still a great one, it has some flaws to it. It is a larger smoke than the Principe', and therefore takes longer to finish. A small clip, as with the Principe' will elicit a fair draw, but it is necessary to take a little bit more off of the end to achieve a good flow. The flow is not nearly as clean as the above cigar and the aroma is not quite as complex. For lovers of robust cigars, who have a strong stomach, this is a great smoke, though at 18 dollars, it is not worth the money. The finish, at least for me, left me nauseous. Not an outstanding cigar, but good, nonetheless.

3. Acid Blondie: 4.8
Construction: 4.9
Draw: 4.9
Finish: 4.2
The Acid brand by Drew Estates is a lovely smoke for those on more of a budget. It has a strong, spicy aroma even before lighting. My girlfriend compared the scent to insence of some sort, which can be good and bad. Sometimes with that kind of power in the smell, the tobacco can be overpowered. However, with the blondie, the aroma merely complements the wonderful blend of tobaccos in the cigar. It is solidly constructed and allows nearly no excess filler to enter the mouth, while the draw is extraordinary for a cigar of this price (about $2.75). There is a slight buzz when finished, even on a full stomach, so this is a full flavored cigar, great for a pre-dinner or late night smoke. Highly recommended.

4. Drew Estates Natural: 4.16
Taste: 3.5
Construction: 4.5
Draw: 4.6
Aroma: 4.2
Finish: 4
Drew Estates makes some fine cigars. This cigar is their newest creation, riding on the coattails of the Acid's success. However, the flavor of the smoke in this cigar is lacking the depth and complexity of the Acid. It is well constructed, but leaves some of the filler in one's mouth if not cut exactly right. The draw leaves something to be desired if the cigar is not clipped fairly far in toward the ring, but is smooth when the cut has been made. This cigar turned me off for only one really obvious reason: toward the end, it burnt my lips as I tried to take the final puffs. This left me with less of a smoke than I had paid for. Though the price is very good, again only 2.75 per smoke. Recommended for those who want a natural tasting cigar with a plain aroma. Still, a very good smoke.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf
Acid Kuba Kuba: 4.7
Taste: 4.8
Construction: 4.6
Draw: 4.7
Finish: 4.5
As stated, Drew's got some fine cigars for the money; Nicaraguan cigars being quite different than the "traditional" sources. But that's what makes them wonderful. The Kuba Kuba has a mildy aromatic, sweet and spicy aroma, instantly making you popular since this could be the first cigar the people around you may enjoy smelling. I have created several additions in people with this cigar. There are two versions: one in the wrapper (usually $6), one that is a longer size that is presented in a can (around $8)

This is a full bodied cigar with a sweet wrap, a complex combination that works extremely well! You will get a very mild or substantial "buzz" from this cigar, depending on your tolerance. I pretty much can smoke a couple at a sitting with minimal effects, although it is tough to judge what's effecting me more, cigars, alcohol or women! The cigar smokes consistently down to the last 1.5 inches - also an accomplishment for a reasonably priced smoke. I found the construction a bit less than the quality of my other favorite brand, Nat Sherman, but, then again, you are getting more for your money. This is a cigar that you can confidently purchase a box, share with other cigar lovers and at least get approval from 2/3 of the smokers.

Nat Sherman Hunter: 4.7
Taste: 4.9
Draw: 4.5
Aroma: 4.5
Finish: 4.8
I love this cigar, being a sweet wrap, mild cigar in a smaller ring size. It is a versatile cigar, able to smoked before or after dinner, or just walking to the car (in New York City, where the garages can be a good 1/2 hour away). Some people will not care for the aroma, as it is a cigar (compared with the embedded spices of Acids). It smokes consistently through the (almost) very end and has little aftertaste. The ash approaches white and is so fine you almost could "wash" your hands in it. The wrap is a consistently good ol' Connecticut sweet leaves. A box purchased and shared with other cigar lovers and at least get approval from 3/4 of the smokers. The construction and quality, well, it is a Nat Sherman - 'nuff said!

Nov 16, 2006 at 12:29 AM Post #34 of 1,369
Hey all, back again with a new one. Unfortunately, my first experience with a Cohiba was not exactly pleasant. For this review, I'm gonna leave out the Construction section, as my Cohiba was bought stale from the vendor (curse him). Here we go.

Cohiba Robusto Natural: 4.3
Taste: 4.3
Draw: 3.5
Aroma: 4.6
Finish: 4.8

The Robusto is a great cigar, especially for the price I got it (about 2.50/stick). The aroma, when first lit is a bit woody, but then evens out to a robust and pleasant smell. The draw was a little iffy on this one, but I'm just going to blame that on the staleness of the cigar. It was still a clean draw, and once my lips moistened up the end, everything fell right into place. The taste is again, a bit woody, which is nice, and it has a sort of sweet taste on the tip of the tongue. The finish made me smile on the Cohiba Robusto. It left me with a slight buzz, but not enough to make me feel the least bit queasy. Overall, this is a great smoke, I look forward to trying another that is just a bit better cared for.

Upcoming in the next few days: Habanos Puros Limited Reserve, A. Fuente Gran Reserva

Nov 16, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #35 of 1,369
okay, as you can see, I've gone along with stevesurf's idea. I love the concept of a cigar head-fi magazine, lol.

Nov 16, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #36 of 1,369
Was that a NC or ISOM? If you got a Cohiba ISOM for $2.50, do share this source
smily_headphones1.gif
(via PM)

And which gran reserva are you reviewing?

Nov 16, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #37 of 1,369
Ah, I've been smoking cigars for about a year now and I love them!

I just turned 18, so I can legally get them now. I had a few Opus X Fuente Fuente's and they were ammaaaaazing. I'm a fan of Acid Blondies and Kuba Kubas as well. The Acid line is pretty damn good for their price, but I think they might be artificially flavored haha.

I have an empty Fuente Fuente Box and I was thinking of building an Amp inside of it.

Nov 16, 2006 at 1:55 AM Post #38 of 1,369
Quote:

Originally Posted by seanohue
Was that a NC or ISOM? If you got a Cohiba ISOM for $2.50, do share this source
smily_headphones1.gif
(via PM)

And which gran reserva are you reviewing?

Lol, unfortunately it was not an ISOM...my local dealer doesn't exactly have the higher end stuff in terms of premium cigars in stock regularly. Which you may be able to tell by the name..."puff n' snuff" lol

Nov 16, 2006 at 2:53 AM Post #39 of 1,369
Quote:

Originally Posted by Advil
Ah, I've been smoking cigars for about a year now and I love them!

I just turned 18, so I can legally get them now. I had a few Opus X Fuente Fuente's and they were ammaaaaazing. I'm a fan of Acid Blondies and Kuba Kubas as well. The Acid line is pretty damn good for their price, but I think they might be artificially flavored haha.

I have an empty Fuente Fuente Box and I was thinking of building an Amp inside of it.

The entire acid line artificially flavored
tongue.gif

Nov 18, 2006 at 4:05 PM Post #44 of 1,369
Here's the best price I've seen so far at $105/24. The problem is we just don't know if an online retailer has properly stored them or has a high enough turnover to get a fresh set. Believe me, I've been burnt bad by two online retailers and that's why I stopped purchasing cigars this way, especially during the summer months.

I'll start doing some additional research. We can always do a group buy before the National Meet and people can just pick the ones they want say, out of a few choices (if we can agree).

FYI - here's a nice chart from the Acid site:
Acid.jpg

Nov 18, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #45 of 1,369

Users who are viewing this thread

Back