The Official 2014 LA Head-Fi Meet Impressions Thread
Aug 10, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #31 of 150
Man that was a great meet. So much fun and so many great people. I took plenty of notes and a ton of pictures, but I'm exhausted so I'm just going to post a few of my favorite photos for now. I'll post impressions and the rest of the photos hopefully tomorrow.

Aug 10, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #32 of 150

You are sooo blessed/lucky!  It was nice talking to you and others as well.  Didn't know that Jude was into wrestling (real).  The Darin Fong Out of Your Head Software is amazing, to say the least.  I'll be posting impressions and pictures as well.

Haha I know! I thought you were going to get the LCD's or the HD800 though for sure! There really weren't that many people in the drawing so I figure you had a pretty good shot. If I remember correctly, you almost won a couple of times, but were just a couple numbers off.

Jude? Wrestling? Well I don't know about that, but I do know that he's pretty freaking good at pool. Taught me how to play 9-ball too. Then proceeded to kick my butt at it.

The Out of Your Head Software really was amazing. I can't wait to try it out with all my gear. I'll post impressions as soon as I play around with the software.

Aug 10, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #33 of 150

Haha I know! I thought you were going to get the LCD's or the HD800 though for sure! There really weren't that many people in the drawing so I figure you had a pretty good shot. If I remember correctly, you almost won a couple of times, but were just a couple numbers off.

Jude? Wrestling? Well I don't know about that, but I do know that he's pretty freaking good at pool. Taught me how to play 9-ball too. Then proceeded to kick my butt at it.

The Out of Your Head Software really was amazing. I can't wait to try it out with all my gear. I'll post impressions as soon as I play around with the software.

I was only a few numbers off.  So close, yet so far.  haha...  And one person got picked twice when they passed on the first prize they won...now that made some jaws drop!
tongue_smile.gif

Well, Jude is a fan, as he has watched the Big Ten's (NCAA D1 Collegiate Wrestling).  So to just chat about it and genuinely give me props for my future wrestling endeavors was really refreshing, especially since he is one of the Head-Fi-ers I look up to the most.  I didn't tell him that I wrestled a couple of people from his home state when I wrestled in the freestyle nationals in high school, but if he reads this, now he knows!

I hope to goodness Darin Fong's staff emails me and others (or post on here somewhere) when their software makes it to the Apple's App Store...I can't wait to replace my Neutron Media Player (for the iPhone) app!

Aug 10, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #34 of 150

I had a lot of fun, it was the first meet I went to. Tried some great models like the HE560, HD800, LCDX/3, K1000; all of which I'd only just read about. I wish in retrospect I'd gotten there earlier, 3 hours wasn't nearly enough time (would've been nice to throw on some music from my USB, it so hard to compare with new tunes). At times comparisons were difficult due to talking going on, but some of the set-ups blew me away. I was quite impressed by the sound of the Grado RS1s (and one other model I can't recall). The HD700s and HE560 were supremely comfortable. So much good stuff coming out (most out of my budget)... Can't wait to get to the one in San Diego in November! 

Aug 10, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #35 of 150
We had a great meet yesterday with about 225 in attendance - 150 meet attendees, and 75 exhibitor attendees and guests. Big thanks to all the exhibitors who participated in this event and it was especially great to welcome some new exhibitors doing this type of event for the very first time. The Treasure Hunt Giveaway was loads of fun and we had 18 fabulous prizes that were generously donated by exhibitors for the event.  We also had over 30 people come celebrate Warren's Birthday Bash which was such a fun way to top off this event. Happy Birthday Warren and thanks for all that you do to help make these events so great! Wanted to thank all of the meet volunteers especially Terry and Donald who really made for a very smooth flow at the Registration Desk. 

beerchug.gif

And of course, very special thanks to Jude for making the trip out to LA. It's always so great to hang out with the man himself, and whose support for the community is greatly appreciated.

Aug 10, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #36 of 150

I was only a few numbers off.  So close, yet so far.  haha...  And one person got picked twice when they passed on the first prize they won...now that made some jaws drop!
tongue_smile.gif

Well, Jude is a fan, as he has watched the Big Ten's (NCAA D1 Collegiate Wrestling).  So to just chat about it and genuinely give me props for my future wrestling endeavors was really refreshing, especially since he is one of the Head-Fi-ers I look up to the most.  I didn't tell him that I wrestled a couple of people from his home state when I wrestled in the freestyle nationals in high school, but if he reads this, now he knows!

I hope to goodness Darin Fong's staff emails me and others (or post on here somewhere) when their software makes it to the Apple's App Store...I can't wait to replace my Neutron Media Player (for the iPhone) app!

hahaha yeah I don't know what it was the event, chance, the fact that I let a rabbit chew on my leg for good luck, maybe the marriot is on a special point in the universe (have to check my Santeria books) but my luck was good that day.  Though I'd be lying if I said I wasn't thinking about putting my number in  again for a chance to get the lcd or hd800s.

Aug 10, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #37 of 150
Save money, park at the park next to the hotel!

....DAMN IT ADORABLE IF YOU WEREN'T SO ADORABLE I'D BE ANGRY RIGHT NOW.  I had to shell out $14 bucks for parking cus I stayed to warrens dinner celebration.

Oh well still cheaper than buying everything that gets a good review on head-fi and then realizing I don't want/like 90% of it.

Hey Warren can we put em impressions of the gear on this thread or is it just for meet impressions.

Aug 10, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #38 of 150

hahaha yeah I don't know what it was the event, chance, the fact that I let a rabbit chew on my leg for good luck, maybe the marriot is on a special point in the universe (have to check my Santeria books) but my luck was good that day.  Though I'd be lying if I said I wasn't thinking about putting my number in  again for a chance to get the lcd or hd800s.

You might have won either the LCD or the HD800 if you did pass on the second prize you won, I would not be at all surprised if you did.

I forgot, what was the prize you settled with again?

Aug 10, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #39 of 150

Save money, park at the park next to the hotel!

....DAMN IT ADORABLE IF YOU WEREN'T SO ADORABLE I'D BE ANGRY RIGHT NOW.  I had to shell out $14 bucks for parking cus I stayed to warrens dinner celebration.

Big thanks to adorable for posting so many live update pics from the meet! 
smile.gif

Hey Warren can we put em impressions of the gear on this thread or is it just for meet impressions.

Most definitely, that's what impressions threads are for after all. 
wink.gif
  But yes, all impressions of any kind are most welcome! 
smile.gif

Aug 10, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #41 of 150
  I settled on the geek 450 now I just need some headphones.  Any suggestions in the $300 range I like neutral with some added bass.

Oh yeah, I really liked that one when I demoed it, especially for its miniscule large thumb drive-like size. 

As for suggestions in the $300 range, I'm not super savvy regarding headphones, but if you want any recommendations regarding earphones, just shoot me a PM.  With that said, I know I may get some flack for this, but the Beats Solo 2 did not sound bad at all to me, and only cost $199.99, so you saved yourself ~$100 from your ~$300 budget if you do decide to get them after test driving them at your local Targé (fancy way to say Target).

Aug 10, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #43 of 150
Aug 10, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #45 of 150
Oh yeah, I really liked that one when I demoed it, especially for its miniscule large thumb drive-like size. 

As for suggestions in the $300 range, I'm not super savvy regarding headphones, but if you want any recommendations regarding earphones, just shoot me a PM.  With that said, I know I may get some flack for this, but the Beats Solo 2 did not sound bad at all to me, and only cost $199.99, so you saved yourself ~$100 from your ~$300 budget if you do decide to get them after test driving them at your local Targeé (fancy way to say Target).

L'accentt devrait etre sur le premier e.

Speaking of European stuff that looks great at first glance but isn't quite right, I gotta say that to my surprise, the Violectric V281 just didn't do it for me. Nothing wrong with it. I could live with it if I had to. But it didn't give me any reason to like it more than a couple dozen other amps in that price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back