The Office (U.S. version)
Aug 21, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #16 of 26
Creed and Toby are by far my favorite characters. They're rarely significant but when they are in it it's usually just so perfect.

Aug 21, 2007 at 5:51 AM Post #18 of 26
There's an ongoing appreciation thread for The Office (both original and American versions) here.

My new favorite character is Darryl, the foreman of the warehouse.

"I taught Mike some uh, some phrases to help with his interracial conversations. You know, stuff like, "fleece it out", "going mach five", "dinkin' flicka". You know, things us Negroes say."

His best episode is "The Negotiation" where he helps Michael get a raise so that he can have one himself.

Darryl: Okay, bring it home now. And don’t forget the new black man phrase I taught you.
Michael: Pippity poppity, give me the zoppity.
(Cut to Darryl doing a talking head segment)
Darryl: Yeah, I taught Mike some new phrases. I want him to get the raise. I … just can’t help myself.

The actor who plays Darryl (Craig Robinson) is so hilarious. His cameo in Knocked Up is one of the funniest parts of the movie.

Aug 21, 2007 at 6:09 AM Post #19 of 26
I love both. Saw the UK version a few years back when the dvd hit the US, then bought it recently and did a marathon again. Painfully awkward, much more so than the US version. I love how Brent's always cracking jokes that make no sense. It's not about the joke, it's about the reaction from the rest in the office that's hilarious.

Just recently did the Netflix "Watch it Now" marathon of the first 2 seasons, just after the 3rd season ended. A lot of good moments I'd forgotten there. Ryan setting up Creed with a blog was absolutely brilliant.

"Last year Creed asked me how to set up a blog.
Wanting to protect the world from being exposed to Creed's brain I opened up a Word document on his computer and put an address at the top: www.creedthoughts.gov.www/creedthoughts

I've read some of it. Even for the Internet... it's pretty shocking"

Now, down to the real differences between the two shows. The characters aren't 1:1 by any means. Gareth to Dwight is the most shocking difference. I prefer Gareth greatly, but he wouldn't have translated to American TV very well.

Also just the fact that the length has now doubled over here compared to the original series. If you were jarred by a 6 episode season, consider that in the UK they only got two seasons of 10 each, and one 2 hour long special much later. In the UK it ended with Lucy and Tim finally getting together (and "finally" was after app. 12 hours of show time.) Now Jim and Pam are a couple, so where does the romance angle go? Now we get to watch them break up, get back together, go on a break, have sex with someone else, get mad, officially break up, talk about getting back together.... Rediculous. I'll stop watching if any of that happens. Jim and Pam are the most likeable characters on TV, if they start ruining that chemistry they might as well shut it down.

Just like Arrested Development, you have very likeable characters among a bunch of completely despicable people. Arrested Development jumped the shark (Aaay!) when Michael and even George Michael became unlikeable. Luckily it didn't really happen until the 3rd season.

Aug 21, 2007 at 11:17 AM Post #20 of 26
Yeah I downloaded all 3 seasons last month and watched them in about 3 days (nothing to do in the weekend, hehe). It's superb, one of my favs.

Aug 21, 2007 at 12:20 PM Post #21 of 26
Looks like September will be a good month then, the return of The Office and Curb Your Enthusiasm!
biggrin.gif

Aug 21, 2007 at 12:40 PM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

If you were jarred by a 6 episode season, consider that in the UK they only got two seasons of 10 each, and one 2 hour long special much later.

No we didn't. We got 2 series of 6 episodes each - only a measly 12 episodes in total, plus the special screened much later at Christmas. I think the special was written to appease the millions of fans who wanted more. I think one of the main differences was that our version was more cringey and uncomfortable to watch.

Aug 21, 2007 at 1:18 PM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's an ongoing appreciation thread for The Office (both original and American versions) here.

My bad, I tried searching for an earlier thread but didn't find anything. Probably has something to do with the quotes in the thread title. I was pretty surprised when nothing came up. I should've known better...

Aug 21, 2007 at 1:28 PM Post #24 of 26
Love this show, and like many others mentioned, Arrested Development.

Heeeeeeeey Brother!

I'm getting into Scrubs now, which is also quite funny.

Aug 21, 2007 at 1:34 PM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No we didn't. We got 2 series of 6 episodes each - only a measly 12 episodes in total, plus the special screened much later at Christmas. I think the special was written to appease the millions of fans who wanted more. I think one of the main differences was that our version was more cringey and uncomfortable to watch.

Ah my bad. It feels like SOOO much more material, because it's so uncomfortable. They can stretch out a second of silence incredibly well.

"Free love on the free love freeway...."

Quote:

Looks like September will be a good month then, the return of The Office and Curb Your Enthusiasm!

OMG CYE's coming back? I thought that show was dead and gone. Talk about cringey and uncomfortable... Larry David > David Brent

Aug 21, 2007 at 2:00 PM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aren't all offices like this. I've worked for Michael and plotted against Dwight, everyplace I've worked. That's the truth. Great show.

In the only "standard" job I've held my entire life, my boss was also Michael (watered down, somewhat, plus of course a few other quirks, like marrying his female customers), and Dwight was definitely a PITA. Oh, even think I had a crush on Pam.

It's scary to think that this really represents common experiences in business!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back